Preventing trailer theft - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by moments View Post
HI all, We've been considering purchasing a "GPS" type product to be installed on our Escape in case it is ever stolen (despite precautions we take). Apparently, it is something like when your pet is "chipped" and can be located. Does anyone else have such a thing? THanks for your help.
I use this type of system in my Boler, If the trailer is moved you are notified and the trailer can be tracked. It does not prevent theft but the stickers may deter it and the system gives you a better chance for recovery.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #102

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Have not read through all the posts so someone might have already mentioned these GPS tracking tiles.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I use this type of system in my Boler, If the trailer is moved you are notified and the trailer can be tracked. It does not prevent theft but the stickers may deter it and the system gives you a better chance for recovery.
A system like that makes sense for Buttercup since it's a one of a kind. With the full replacement cost coverage on my Escape, if God forbid anything should happen to it, a new one can always be built to replace it.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There's not much difference in using it on the trailer. A circuit is a circuit. Doesn't matter if it's a window, a door or the trailer. Break the circuit and the alarm goes off.

I've thought about doing it but I'm in a pretty secure situation so I haven't pursued it. The only negative I can think of is that it's sort of after the fact. For that type to work the thief has had time to hook up and would already be rolling before it triggered.

I like motion sensors for the reason that they light up the potential thief before they even get near the trailer except they wouldn't do much for a day time thief.

It seems to me the best option, short of a tracking system, would be one that is triggered by any motion of the trailer or the hitch latch being opened.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #105

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
The stickers may be a deterrent, in which case maybe all that's needed is the sticker On the other hand, the sticker tells the thief to look for the tracker to remove and thus disable it. Maybe you need a sticker, a real tracker, and a dummy tracker which is more easily found than the real one?

Does anyone know if the SPOT and similar GPS-based trackers get enough signal through the trailer shell to work if mounted inside (presumably inside a cabinet, near the ceiling), or do they need to be on the outside (and thus easily seen and removed)?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #106

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Does anyone know if the SPOT and similar GPS-based trackers get enough signal through the trailer shell to work if mounted inside (presumably inside a cabinet, near the ceiling), or do they need to be on the outside (and thus easily seen and removed)?
According to Gearjunkie:
"The Trace comes with a mounting bracket. You can hide it on a boat or vehicle in certain places — the device will transmit through fiberglass, fabric, and glass, Spot cites."

Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As 'Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker'
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 AM   #107

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
The stickers may be a deterrent, in which case maybe all that's needed is the sticker On the other hand, the sticker tells the thief to look for the tracker to remove and thus disable it. Maybe you need a sticker, a real tracker, and a dummy tracker which is more easily found than the real one?
They may look Brian, but I am confident they will not find the GPS unit.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I always thought the best place to put something of value would be the stinky slinky tube
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I always thought the best place to put something of value would be the stinky slinky tube
Yeppers, that is where I keep my gold plated, diamond encrusted, sewer pipe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Anyone using the MegaHitch lock?

It looks very secure..... and can be had for $114 delivered if you surf the web a bit for dealers.

It would NOT be our only security device.... just an additional one.

A pal had her Aliner stolen..... really was a drag for her.

I don't think she had beefy security things in place, though.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
California Immobilizer

We're using these two units from California Immobilizer, one on the hitch, and the other on a wheel when we are leaving the trailer unattended for a day. The company will enable the two locks to work with the same key if you specify that.
Attached Thumbnails
CaliWheel boot.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #112

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We also use the wheel California immobilizer and a lesser (not as good/different brand) hitch lock. I saw the CA immobilizer on an Escape in our neighbourhood and bought it from the same source, E & H Hitch Shop in Langley, B.C. (Better price than other sources I could find). I looked into hooking up a circuit to our home alarm system, but it was a bit complicated. There seems to be a down side to most of the security options out there. I hope to deter most, but probably not all, thieves.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
We're using these two units from California Immobilizer, one on the hitch, and the other on a wheel when we are leaving the trailer unattended for a day. The company will enable the two locks to work with the same key if you specify that.
? We've been thinking about this product for the wheel. Do you take it with you the road or just when parked at home? Is it too heavy, bulky to haul around ? I think it would be nice to use when camping and leaving the trailer for a day away from the camp ground.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #114
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Anyone using the MegaHitch lock?
I'm using the MegaHitch Lock. I had a home-built trailer stolen from me in Dec 2014, and found the MegaHitch Lock video showing how much better it is than all the competition (and how bad the best-selling competition really is).

No matter where we are camping, the hitch lock and chains lock (very large gauge Master Lock) are always on our trailer. Fortunately since we're with it almost all day long, we don't have to worry about it as much as we would have to otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
MegaHitch Lock.jpg   MegaHitch Lock on Previous Trailer.jpg  
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #115

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
uh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
? We've been thinking about this product for the wheel. Do you take it with you the road or just when parked at home? Is it too heavy, bulky to haul around ? I think it would be nice to use when camping and leaving the trailer for a day away from the camp ground.
We take it and store it under the bed in two pieces (see picture #2 above) For a 17 you would probably store it in the truck bed, however by laying it flat it takes up almost zero space.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #116

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
I'm using the MegaHitch Lock. I had a home-built trailer stolen from me in Dec 2014, and found the MegaHitch Lock video showing how much better it is than all the competition (and how bad the best-selling competition really is).
I'm sure the lock discourages at least casual thieves, but I believe that's the video has been the subject of some ridicule in online discussions, including at the beginning of trailer security - the "tester" really goes at some other brands of locks, but seems to give up easily on his own. Anything that requires a noisy effort with tools by the thief will presumably help to encourage them to move on to someone else's trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #117

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
I agree with Rossue that the California Immobilizer's wheel lock is easy enough to store.

The company is located in a light-industry park in the "Hub City" on Vancouver Island. Marketing-wise, I wonder how well the unit would have sold if they had called it the "Nanaimo Immobilizer".
Old 03-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #118
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Anything that requires a noisy effort with tools by the thief will presumably help to encourage them to move on to someone else's trailer.
I think that's the positive of the MegaHitch Lock - that it would require extremely loud tools to remove it. I have tried to force it off myself, and I've been unable to, when it is installed correctly; although I haven't taken a plasma cutter to it next.

Also the new purchase price protection for 5 years from Geico has my back if someone does indeed get the lock off and steal this camper.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The immobilizer on the wheel is of much better value in stopping a theft than the hitch lock. Hitch locks don't slow down an experienced thief at all. They can simply slip chains through the tongue and drag it away. A wheel immobilizer on the other hand, makes the trailer impossible to tow until it's defeated. The hitch lock is a deterrent. The wheel lock is a preventer. Having said all that, remember: it's near impossible to stop a determined and skilled thief. Try to make your possession less inviting, and chances are, the thief will pick an easier target. In the several years I spent in law enforcement, most thieves we spoke to (those who were willing to talk) admitted they simply did it because it could be done - a crime of opportunity.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
What about Steel Shield ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote