Price Increase - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Posts: 2,697
Makes you wonder if ETI knows how many people are waiting to get on the wait list!

Maybe if we made a poll of the number of people watching the website for (pick your choice of Escape), it would give them incentive to get the expansion finished earlier.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I must be in the small minority to think that is a reasonable exchange rate hit.
... or in the mostly silent majority of those who looked at the numbers objectively.

Since the increase in list price is less than the decrease in cost to US buyers due to the change in currency exchange, an Escape is still cheaper than it was a few years ago - obviously, no improvement in specs (such as standard equipment) is needed.

Since the increase in price corresponds at least reasonably to the increase in cost to the manufacturer, no substantial increase in the value of included components (such as more standard equipment) is economically possible. It's nice to hear that some new standard features will be included anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Makes you wonder if ETI knows how many people are waiting to get on the wait list!

Maybe if we made a poll of the number of people watching the website for (pick your choice of Escape), it would give them incentive to get the expansion finished earlier.
I'm sure they have a good idea. When we were at the factory in Sept two guys would have purchased right then and there if they had one they could get right then. They might have put down a deposit later on after thinking about it.

I'm sure they also keep track of the folks that email or call them about availability. You would want to have a very good handle on your potential customers when you're planning an expansion, as well as forking out tons of money for new molds (which are needed for a new look on the trailers), plus tons of money for the new building. Didn't someone quote $40,000-50,000 for a new mold or something like that? Not cheap, put it that way.

And I'm sure they're hustling along with that as fast as they can. When we were there almost 2 weeks ago the current tenants needed to move out and then they needed to swoop in to start cleaning (I will not volunteer for that chore - HA!). Plus get the permits lined up. And everything else involved.

I'm sure they're chopping at the bit as much as lots of other folks are in waiting for their order books to open up.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
2017 21' trailer, new mold, rec'd 11/25/16
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Jimrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Monona, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Makes you wonder if ETI knows how many people are waiting to get on the wait list!

Maybe if we made a poll of the number of people watching the website for (pick your choice of Escape), it would give them incentive to get the expansion finished earlier.
Regarding the speed of expansion and production, we have an old saying in construction. Good, fast, or cheap, pick any two.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 9,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... or in the mostly silent majority of those who looked at the numbers objectively.

Since the increase in list price is less than the decrease in cost to US buyers due to the change in currency exchange, an Escape is still cheaper than it was a few years ago - obviously, no improvement in specs (such as standard equipment) is needed.

Since the increase in price corresponds at least reasonably to the increase in cost to the manufacturer, no substantial increase in the value of included components (such as more standard equipment) is economically possible. It's nice to hear that some new standard features will be included anyway.
Well said I've been watching the numbers for quite a while thinking what it would be like from the manufacturer's side, with so many of the materials being imported from the U.S. Seems really reasonable both given those conditions and the way it's being implemented.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 AM   #66
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well said I've been watching the numbers for quite a while thinking what it would be like from the manufacturer's side, with so many of the materials being imported from the U.S. Seems really reasonable both given those conditions and the way it's being implemented.

Ron
When I got wind of the "beat rate" to get the trailers through the production line it was sort of a sad recognition that to grow a company one has to set some baseline rules to project a funding budget. Need to constrain the options costs until you can figure out how to make your product at a profit.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:53 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nanoose Bay, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 152
I really found it interesting reading all of the posts on the price increases announced by ETI. One must recognize that Canadaís economy is driven by commodities. When oil prices along with minerals, etc. tanked the $CAN followed suit. The bad news for Canadians importing goods from the US was an increase in pricing of approx. 46 - 48% . Thus ETI now incurs this increase for components for their trailers imported from the States. However, as an exporter of finished product (trailers) to US, it becomes a bargain for Americans. A US poster was concerned that if the $CAN fell to $0.62 US, it would be even worse for a US buyer. Wrong... it would even be better! For Canadians, not so!

The challenge that ETI now has, and even more so if the $CAN goes down in value, is to keep up with the US demand. Keep in mind that the US marketplace is 10 times that of Canadaís... Canadaís total population is less than that of Californiaís, although we had a much larger country in size of area.

As the $CAN increases in value to the $US, ETIís trailers become more expensive for US potential buyers. I donít envy ETI the challenge they have in developing their business case. With currency fluctuations, itís like rolling the dice.

Cheers,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Posts: 554
For US buyers this is just a "price correction", for Canadians were are basically getting screwed again. ETI shows that Canada can export a finished product and do it well when the right person is in charge. As Canadians we need to drop our Colonial mentality of exporting all our raw materials only to buy the finished product back at an "inflated price" because weak demand for our commodities has made our dollar tank. I just read on the CBC website that one of the reasons out gas price is so high, compared to the US, is that we export a lot of our crude to the US to be refined then buy the finished product back!!

Quite frankly the opportunity for the Canadian dollar to at par or higher than the US dollar is there for the taking but we just have the wrong people in charge. I doubt that Reace and Tammy are concerned though at this point in time, one has to wonder what their US to Canadian customer ratio is. :-)

Barry
__________________
Photography website: https://bjustice.zenfolio.com

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #69
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
As Canadians we need to drop our Colonial mentality of exporting all our raw materials only to buy the finished product back at an "inflated price" because weak demand for our commodities has made our dollar tank. I just read on the CBC website that one of the reasons out gas price is so high, compared to the US, is that we export a lot of our crude to the US to be refined then buy the finished product back!!

Quite frankly the opportunity for the Canadian dollar to at par or higher than the US dollar is there for the taking but we just have the wrong people in charge.
Some good points. Ironically, I've always found goods manufactured in Canada to be of very high quality, and often far superior to US made. There's no reason why a company like Escape should have to buy things like internal components to their trailers from a foreign market - those things can be made and made well right there in Canada. You're also right that it's about leadership. The loss of manufacturing jobs here in the US is a big problem too.

I like to tell this story from time to time to illustrate the point: I was browsing the "Old Country Store" at a Cracker Barrel restaurant a few years ago. Almost every single product in the store had a tag 'made in China'. Yep, nothing says good ole' fashioned Americana like made in China. I wrote to Cracker Barrel and asked why basically every item in their stores is made in China, and they replied that "they try to source US made products for their stores whenever possible." Hmm.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,495
Definitely have been curious how ETI would deal with conditions, especially when the rate exceeded 40%. No one has 40% margins these days. I'm assuming US$ that come in to ETI are kept in US$ and US parts are paid for with US$, thus they don't eat that exchange rate for supplies ordered in US.
The challenge down the road is when the exchange rate comes back down. Oliver has proven there is a ceiling that molded fiberglass trailer folks are willing or able to pay. I think the new Bigfoot has proven that as well as no one I've seen or heard seems to be rushing to buy new Bigfoots, at their over $40k pricing. For now, it is only the Canadian buyer that is having to evaluate if they're willing and able to pay between 40-50k for a new Escape, but that will cycle back and reach par or a small exchange rate and then we'll all be evaluating that. I.E. Our options ran approx $8500 and if I add that to the new base of $30,300 if the exchange rate were par or 10% would I have been a buyer? I love our new Escape, but we wouldn't have been able to swing it at that price point and our current situation.
It will be very interesting to watch in the years ahead, but ETI has shown excellent flexibility in doing business to date and I'm sure they will adjust to whatever the current conditions are. Did I say I love our new Escape!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,467
Please, dear lord, let my stock picks be winners!


/Escape upgrader (one day)
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Some good points. Ironically, I've always found goods manufactured in Canada to be of very high quality, and often far superior to US made. There's no reason why a company like Escape should have to buy things like internal components to their trailers from a foreign market - those things can be made and made well right there in Canada. You're also right that it's about leadership. The loss of manufacturing jobs here in the US is a big problem too.

I like to tell this story from time to time to illustrate the point: I was browsing the "Old Country Store" at a Cracker Barrel restaurant a few years ago. Almost every single product in the store had a tag 'made in China'. Yep, nothing says good ole' fashioned Americana like made in China. I wrote to Cracker Barrel and asked why basically every item in their stores is made in China, and they replied that "they try to source US made products for their stores whenever possible." Hmm.
Very good points Robert . We see a product made in Canada we buy it , besides food items ,our trailer . We know we are getting quality . Besides all the things from China in stores , We get excited if we pick something up and it says Made in the USA , that means someone here has a job . Wish we had a quality , same price range as Escape trailer made here in US , we would of bought instead .If we don't have jobs in the US , how are we going to purchase and keep our economy going ? I am getting depressed now , maybe I need to go camping real soon . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
US has one of the healthiest economies at the present time.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alaska, Washington
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 451
My Lori was made in Canada and she is my superior.

Scott, Lori, and Fritz
Moose are better in the freezer than eating my mountain ash.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 8,344
If you ever want to purchase an extremely nice fixed blade knife, often called a hunting knife, look into a Grohmann knife made in Nova Scotia. Terrific workmanship , balance and great steel. Not cheap, but you could bet you life on it.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Makes you wonder if ETI knows how many people are waiting to get on the wait list!

Maybe if we made a poll of the number of people watching the website for (pick your choice of Escape), it would give them incentive to get the expansion finished earlier.
Oh, I think they know full well there are plenty of future buyers out there, hence the expansion. "Wait list"!!! Don't get me started again on ETI somehow/someway keeping a list of folks who express interest in a future trailer that they could reference and contact those folks when the time came.....checking the website......waiting.......they say patience is a virtue! I just hope I don't miss a couple of days when production dates open back up and miss out!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
US has one of the healthiest economies at the present time.
Glenn really if this a great ecomony we are in for big trouble . We have businesses closing here all the time . Jobs are being lost right and left . The figures for unemployment are being fudged . Some have just given up looking for work . The numbers are way more then they tell you . They say everything is fine but when you look around it is scary . Our middle class is getting smaller . We are turning into the have's and have nots here . I am OK but the kids are really going to be in for it . Some say we are at the brink of another recession . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
My Lori was made in Canada and she is my superior.

Scott, Lori, and Fritz

Nicely done!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
bisonbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Windham, CT, Connecticut
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 188
I'm glad ETI raised their prices. The exchange rate had to be killing them. They need to stay profitable. With the drop of the the $cdn vs the $usd, a $4,000 price increase gets them about $3,000 usd more to cover the cost of the U.S. Parts. All they are really doing is recouping the decline in the value of the Looney over the last two years.

The one thing they might want to do is have a U.S. price and CDN price on the website. Have a box asking which country. When you first look at a $40,000 price it's pretty intimidating. Leading U.S. customers with a U.S. price could be a good way to go
__________________
Bill and Ann-Marie

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
The one thing they might want to do is have a U.S. price and CDN price on the website. Have a box asking which country. When you first look at a $40,000 price it's pretty intimidating. Leading U.S. customers with a U.S. price could be a good way to go
It's known as looking it up on Google for a price from Canadian to US dollars. I do it about every day! I know it's not quite the same as what the banks may offer, but it gives me a good comparison.

Plus, listing it in US $ will only work if they have a US bank account set up and keep funds in it. I don't know if they do nor do I need to. I just know they'll take my US $ personal check and I'm happy with that.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
2017 21' trailer, new mold, rec'd 11/25/16
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.