Prices Don't Reflect Current Exchange Rate - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I combined two identical threads from two forums. It's possible there's no continuation in the conversation.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra.traveler View Post
Well, it turns out to be a moot point. Escape has called me to explain US citizens get the price that is quoted in US dollars. US citizens cannot get CA pricing or pay in CA dollars. So that it that.

I wonder … what about a Canadian citizen living in the US? My guess is that if you take delivery in the US you pay the US dollar price regardless of your citizenship. But maybe if a Canadian living in the US takes delivery in Canada and does the importing themselves they can get the Canadian price?

And probably the inverse is true … an American citizen living in Canada and taking delivery in Canada pays the Canadian price. I really would be surprised that they check citizenship before doing any pricing.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I wonder … what about a Canadian citizen living in the US? My guess is that if you take delivery in the US you pay the US dollar price regardless of your citizenship. But maybe if a Canadian living in the US takes delivery in Canada and does the importing themselves they can get the Canadian price?
I believe that it's address based. More if you're a resident with an address in Canada, not necessarily a citizen. My sister is a Canadian citizen living in WA. She'd have to use my address to duck the situation. But then she'd have to pay the applicable taxes in BC and then export the trailer.

OTOH, it is sometimes useful to have an address to use in another country.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
It would also be sometimes useful to have a well-padded bank account on some tropical island. Looking for volunteers to help me pad one... LOL
Old 05-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It would also be sometimes useful to have a well-padded bank account on some tropical island. Looking for volunteers to help me pad one... LOL
Hi: Mike G... Might not get any to "Pad one" but lots to drain one!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Is there a reason that you can't simply pay in Canadian dollars if you have a better exchange rate available? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
When we bought our 2014 19' Escape way back in September 2014, as I remember we just had our Wells Fargo bank do a wire transfer to Escape Industries for the Canadian price. As a result, we got the official exchange rate at the time of the transfer, and Escape Industries got the Canadian price they were charging. It was easy and clean.

Things may be different today.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
When we bought our 2014 19' Escape way back in September 2014, as I remember we just had our Wells Fargo bank do a wire transfer to Escape Industries for the Canadian price. As a result, we got the official exchange rate at the time of the transfer, and Escape Industries got the Canadian price they were charging. It was easy and clean.

Things may be different today.

Chuck
yup, those days are gone now though...
Old 05-14-2023, 10:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
yup, those days are gone now though...
...along with those ETI owners, yep!
Old 05-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #29

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Pay in Canadian
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:04 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
Pay in Canadian
US buyers take possession of their trailers on the US side of the border and can NOT pay in Canadian dollars. It's been that way for nearly five years.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:29 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
US buyers take possession of their trailers on the US side of the border and can NOT pay in Canadian dollars. It's been that way for nearly five years.
Yes, but of course the change isn't because US buyers take possession on the US side. They've always done that. The currency and pricing change came about when the current investment group took over, and it essentially creates two prices for the same item depending on nationality.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:45 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, but of course the change isn't because US buyers take possession on the US side. They've always done that. The currency and pricing change came about when the current investment group took over, and it essentially creates two prices for the same item depending on nationality.
Of course it came about due to change of ownership. BUT, there was a time US buyers actually picked up their trailers in Chilliwack....
Old 05-17-2023, 09:48 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Of course it came about due to change of ownership. BUT, there was a time US buyers actually picked up their trailers in Chilliwack....
Yes, but Reace started using an exporter in order to make the process smoother. Gotta say, I miss him. Quite the guy.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, but Reace started using an exporter in order to make the process smoother. Gotta say, I miss him. Quite the guy.
Hi: rbryan4... At the risk of chastisement, IMHO the change was brought about by the BC. Goobermint. They didn't trust Reace n Co. to tell the truth about exporting the trailers to another taxation jurisdiction. In order to avoid the BC Sales tax ETI had to export the trailers to the US. w/ proper paperwork. Hence Bob's Burgers rendezvous with owners. Then came the VIN# debacle... but that's another story!!! AIAS you're only a crook in your own country.
I miss both Reace& Tammy. They were super people!!! Alf
Old 05-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: rbryan4... At the risk of chastisement, IMHO the change was brought about by the BC. Goobermint. They didn't trust Reace n Co. to tell the truth about exporting the trailers to another taxation jurisdiction. In order to avoid the BC Sales tax ETI had to export the trailers to the US. w/ proper paperwork. Hence Bob's Burgers rendezvous with owners. Then came the VIN# debacle... but that's another story!!! AIAS you're only a crook in your own country.
I miss both Reace& Tammy. They were super people!!! Alf
Yup, there were lots of things that went into it. My point was that the current pricing model for US customers only had nothing to do with export requirements.

The argument has been made that there are costs associated with exporting and yes, there are. But it would be very easy to add those to an invoice rather than charge customers in one country a different price than in another country.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #36

"Money, money, money!!!" ABBA

Hi: rbryan4... What I was trying to explain is that when we bought our 5.0TA many moons ago we had to pay the Fed. Goods and Services Tax at source and the Ontario Provincial tax at registration. Had we to pay the Harmonized Sales Tax combined in BC, then we could apply for a rebate when paying the PST. Boondoggle anyone?
The problem now is ETI wants to make money on the trailer and money on the exchange too. Reace& Tammy didn't!!! Alf
Old 05-19-2023, 10:58 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
The problem now is ETI wants to make money on the trailer and money on the exchange too. Reace& Tammy didn't!!! Alf

Yep, I agree.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:37 AM   #38

Trailer: 5.0
Just because it says one price in US dollars and one price in Canadian dollars that’s the price right? I hate it because I’m just now paid for my trailer and believe me my timing could not have been worse but I’m too old now to say screw it, and to top it off, I waited a year and a half and somebody today could order a trailer and have it in three months and get it delivered for free. Yes I said free delivery but all of this said it’s not Escape‘s fault they’re a business trying to make money it is what it is .
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:04 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Just because it says one price in US dollars and one price in Canadian dollars that’s the price right?
Well, the price has always been the price - in other words, you pay the posted full retail price. It's not an MSRP. My only objection is one price for one group and another price for another. But that subject has been discussed here ad nauseum ever since the policy change, and it's not going to be changing back.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #40

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Last January we purchased our Bigfoot 25RQ from Peden RV, Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island. They sell campers new and used to US citizens all the time. When entering Canada we turned around and went back to the US border station and asked what we needed. They see Canadian titled cars, trailers and campers every day being inported to the US.

There was never an issue with British Columbia's government regulations on us buying, using our US dollars at the existing exchange rate at any point in BC or the US.

We did have to sign a document stating the trailer was never going to be used in Canada on our way to the border, therfore we didn't have to pay any Canadian taxes.

We had to buy 7 days of insurance at a minimal cost ($45 if I remember correctly), insuring us on BC roads until we crossed the border.

The 25RQ was used (2016) so we had to transfer title to our name before a 90 day temporary plate was issued. If the camper is new, and never has been registered, then no title transfer is needed.

We crossed the border into the US with no problem and had no problem registering the trailer in Minnesota.

Items needed to register the trailer in Minnesota:
  • Bill of Sale from Peden RV or any bill of sale from an individual
  • British Columbia title - not needed for a new trailer, title was transfered 1 mile from Peden RV and it took about 1/2 hour to transfer
  • Federal Declaration, form HS-7
  • Federal Entry Summary, form 7501, and it MUST be stamped at the border

In the end the tax collection and transfer to a Minnesota title was painless.

Except to gain more revenue from Escape's US customers, there is no reason I see for Escape's inflated exchange rate.

Enjoy,

Perry