Propane safety - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The coldest we have slept in our 5.0TA was -19°C (-2°American) and we had no problem keeping it warm enough. Sure, the furnace ran a bit more than at warmer temps, but did quite good at at 14°.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #102

Trailer: 2018 Casita SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I too drive with propane off and fridge on DC. This has been hashed before on this forum and others. Both sides argue their points. I simply won’t drive with it on; others will. Not sure about water and heat in the winter. In my Bigfoot it didn’t freeze on travel days, but the Escape is 3 season. Not sure how I will address that yet.
I too use the TV’s DC for my fridge. But not for safety reasons, but rather to conserve propane.
The M&M’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:39 AM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The M&M’s View Post
I too use the TV’s DC for my fridge. But not for safety reasons, but rather to conserve propane.
the fridge doesn't use much propane. less than the water heater or furnace, certainly.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always use propane when towing and it seems to use very little. I guess that is why I have yet needed to refill my tanks on any of my previously owned Escapes before selling......
Old 03-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #105

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The M&M’s View Post
Since I always try and find shady campsites, I've decided I have something to justify having Escape put the solar panel on the roof of my trailer. I figure driving down the road is one of the few times the solar panel is actually providing a significant amount of power. So, I run my fridge on DC so my solar panel at least does something beneficial for me.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Love this.
Hi: UncleTim... Once you're in hot water... might as well lay back and enjoy it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #107

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Even if blow out occurs, it is automatic relighting.....

As evidenced by the fact that, upon arriving at our campsite, five hours away from home, and noticing the big hole in the side of the trailer where the refrigerator cover should have been, our refrigerator was still going and the food still cold :-)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It probably was off but relighted itself upon stopping.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #109

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I tow with the fridge on propane. Its my understanding that it draws over 20 amp so even with both solar panels on roof I don't think it could keep up.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #110

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I tow with the fridge on propane. Its my understanding that it draws over 20 amp so even with both solar panels on roof I don't think it could keep up.
I agree. That has been my experience.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #111

Quote:
Don't forget you have power coming from your tow vehicle through the 7 pin connector. Between the two it is more than enough.

By the way 20 amps at 12 volts DC would be 240 watts. I would hope that two 190 watt panels would be able to keep up with that. I don't believe a pre-chilled refrigerator draws anywhere near that continously anyway.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #112

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Don't forget you have power coming from your tow vehicle through the 7 pin connector. Between the two it is more than enough.

By the way 20 amps at 12 volts DC would be 240 watts. I would hope that two 190 watt panels would be able to keep up with that. I don't believe a pre-chilled refrigerator draws anywhere near that continously anyway.

The 12 volt mode on the fridge draws 22 amp or 264 watts. I suppose if the sun was high in the sky there may be a hour or two a day that the solar would keep up. I think most the time you be looking at more like 50% of the solar panel ratings. Then of cousre you have cloudy days with even less. I also travel in spring and fall when the sun angle is lower. Most truck wiring would not help much at a 22amp draw.The wire would have to be 10 gauge witch is not the case in the truck or the camper. Sometime I travel in the dark also. When I get to where I going I need full batteries to start.From reading others experiences solar will not keep up with the lager fridge. some have done it with the smaller fridge witch draws 1/2 amps . I just run on propane. Now that I have a battery monitor with Bluetooth I might try it this summer. At least I know what there capable off.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #113

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
The wire would have to be 10 gauge witch is not the case in the truck or the camper.

I had 10 gauge used when I had my RAV4 wired, with the intention of getting a 3-way fridge. #10 was required to get adequate power to the fridge, but then I learned, there still wouldn't be any left for the battery. If I left camp with a low battery, after a night of heavy furnace use, I'd arrive at the next camp with a cold fridge and dead battery. So, I opted for a larger 2-way fridge and to run on propane.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:08 AM   #114

Quote:
\I think most the time you be looking at more like 50% of the solar panel ratings. Then of cousre you have cloudy days with even less. I also travel in spring and fall when the sun angle is lower.
Okay you convinced me solar panels on a trailer are worthless and my having Escape install one was a complete waste of my money.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:38 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Okay you convinced me solar panels on a trailer are worthless and my having Escape install one was a complete waste of my money.
This is a strange take on opinions. I love my 240W of rooftop solar and the benefits it brings us, but it just does not work for me keeping batteries charged and the fridge cold when travelling. I tried it, it just doesn't work, at least in spring up north here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:55 AM   #116

Quote:
Since I always try and find shady campsites, I've decided I have something to justify having Escape put the solar panel on the roof of my trailer. I figure driving down the road is one of the few times the solar panel is actually providing a significant amount of power. So, I run my fridge on DC so my solar panel at least does something beneficial for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is a strange take on opinions. I love my 240W of rooftop solar and the benefits it brings us, but it just does not work for me keeping batteries charged and the fridge cold when travelling. I tried it, it just doesn't work, at least in spring up north here.
My old trailer had a single Group 31 battery and no solar towed with my F250 with factory tow package (wiring). I ran my fridge on DC while traveling, always had a full charge when I arrived.

My 2020 Escape 19 dual 6 volt batteries and single solar panel towed with my Sprinter 2500 factory tow package (wiring). I run my fridge on DC while traveling, I always have a full charge when I arrive.

So, I'm not sure why everyone else seems to have an issue with running their fridge on DC. Maybe it's because both my tow vehicle were/are diesels with robust electrical systems. I also remember to switch it over to AC (auto) when I arrive.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #117

Quote:
My old trailer had a single Group 31 battery and no solar towed with my F250 with factory tow package (wiring). I ran my fridge on DC while traveling, always had a full charge when I arrived.

My 2020 Escape 19 dual 6 volt batteries and single solar panel towed with my Sprinter 2500 factory tow package (wiring). I run my fridge on DC while traveling, I always have a full charge when I arrive.

So, I'm not sure why everyone else seems to have an issue with running their fridge on DC. Maybe it's because both my tow vehicle were/are diesels with robust electrical systems. I also remember to switch it over to AC (auto) when I arrive.
I’m happy for you that you can run your refrigerator on 12 vdc. Consider yourself lucky. Even with a #10 AWG feed on my previous tow vehicle and a solar panel (single) my pre-chilled refrigerator would not maintain temperature on DC power. But I can say for certain that I personally, and according to statements posted here by others, we do have issues running our refrigerators on DC. I wish I could and retain the pre-chilled temperature, but I cannot and have never been able to do it. So like many others, I rely on propane while traveling, and like you, switch it to AC if I have shore power where I stop.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:49 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
like you, switch it to AC if I have shore power where I stop.
Switching the refrigerator from DC to AC on the left button when it is set to Auto on the right button actually switchs the fridge to propane if shore power is not available and AC if shore power is available.

You say the refrigerator doesn't maintain the same temperature on DC, that is a completely different issue than the solar panel and the tow vehicle power plug not maintaining the trailer battery voltage while the refrigerator is set to DC.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:09 AM   #119

Quote:
Switching the refrigerator from DC to AC on the left button when it is set to Auto on the right button actually switchs the fridge to propane if shore power is not available and AC if shore power is available.

You say the refrigerator doesn't maintain the same temperature on DC, that is a completely different issue than the solar panel and the tow vehicle power plug not maintaining the trailer battery voltage while the refrigerator is set to DC.
I am well aware of how the refrigerator works and what the auto button does. I have, after all, had my Escape for almost 6 years now, and several trailers equipped with Dometic refrigerators prior to that. I do not need a lesson in how they operate.

And no, it is not a completely different issue. It is a related issue. When I run on propane, the solar and vehicle power keeps my batteries fully charged. If I try to run on DC, the demand draws my battery down and it will not provide adequate voltage to keep the refrigerator as cold. If I am plugged into 120 vac, and I put the refrigerator on DC, it will maintain temperature as long as the door is not opened. Kindly don’t imply that you know more about my situation than I do. The vast majority of RV owners will tell you that absorption refrigerators perform better on propane than they do on DC.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I put the refrigerator on DC, it will maintain temperature as long as the door is not opened.
Exactly what I've been saying. DC while driving, propane when stopped. We don't have anyone in the trailer opening the refrigerator door while we're driving.