Purchasing used... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 5.0
Purchasing used...

So I have a question or two and sorry if this has been asked but I did try to search the topic and I may have missed it [emoji53]

Let's say I find the one? That slightly used 5.0 that I'm hoping will be posted for sale. Awesome! Now what? (Questions I'm pondering)

What if that person is 500 miles away but I can't get to them for a 2-3 weeks? Do most sellers understand this and are willing to work something out? If they ask for a deposit do most buyers from afar request you make a small deposit to hold? In these days in time, how can you be sure the seller is legit. Maybe I should trust that if someone is on this forum they are legit and not just here to scam. (These aren't cheap by no means). If you were to buy a used from afar would you transfer money to a 'stranger'?

Considering these units aren't just a couple thousand $, how do most sellers accept payments? I assume cash is best but I'm referring to a 'hold deposit' if necessary.

Also, I assume that the seller's tow vehicle would need to be the same height as our tow vehicle? Again I'm looking at the 5.0's.

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts/advice/input. I just want to be prepared to jump if I see one! 🤞🏼🤞🏼[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
For a deposit a seller might accept a check, since there is a delay for delivery. Some sellers maybe willing to accept PayPal for a deposit.

Having sold an Escape the only method I would accept is a wire transfer. Cash might work but it is very cumbersome. I would begin looking into how you can do a wire transfer. The seller just has to provide you with a routing number and account number, you may have a fee up to $45.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
For a deposit a seller might accept a check, since there is a delay for delivery. Some sellers maybe willing to accept PayPal for a deposit.

Having sold an Escape the only method I would accept is a wire transfer. Cash might work but it is very cumbersome. I would begin looking into how you can do a wire transfer. The seller just has to provide you with a routing number and account number, you may have a fee up to $45.

Ahh, didn't think about paypal. Guess that would work! Did you allow for time for the buyer to pick up the rig or was it a quick pick up for you?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark8 View Post
... In these days in time, how can you be sure the seller is legit. Maybe I should trust that if someone is on this forum they are legit and not just here to scam. (These aren't cheap by no means). If you were to buy a used from afar would you transfer money to a 'stranger'?

If the trailer is listed here for sale, most likely the seller will be known by others here. If it is being sold by someone here, who has been on the Forum for a while, I'd feel confident that it would not be a scam. A Craigslist sale would be another matter entirely.

Good luck in your quest, and asking these kind of questions here is a fine idea.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Ahh, didn't think about paypal. Guess that would work! Did you allow for time for the buyer to pick up the rig or was it a quick pick up for you?

It is possible to do a wire transfer and achieve a same day delivery of the funds. For instance, if you request a transfer in the AM, chances are the funds could arrive in the sellers account within 2-3 hours. Of course this varies by financial institution and across borders so you need to check it out.

Chances are that you, the buyer, may have to go out on the limb and make the wire transfer a day before.

There is another option, it is called www.escrow.com. They will hold your money in an account until you authorize it be released. For a fee of course. This method is quite common on eBay Motors when a vehicle is shipped to the buyer, upon acknowledgement of receipt by the shipper or seller, the buyer can release the funds.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escrow.com is an excellent way to protect yourself. There are telltale signs of a scammer, and most of them are simple, like a seller requiring payment in full before releasing the vehicle, but sight unseen, or a seller saying they cant do phone calls.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We just sold our Escape 19 and the transaction went pretty smooth. I asked them to wire a $2000 deposit to take the trailer off the market while they arranged their funds. We met them about 1/2 way between us at a branch of our bank to do the transfer. Our bank verified their cashiers check, we transferred the title, and done. All went well.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
So I have a question or two and sorry if this has been asked but I did try to search the topic and I may have missed it [emoji53]

Let's say I find the one? That slightly used 5.0 that I'm hoping will be posted for sale. Awesome! Now what? (Questions I'm pondering)

What if that person is 500 miles away but I can't get to them for a 2-3 weeks? Do most sellers understand this and are willing to work something out? If they ask for a deposit do most buyers from afar request you make a small deposit to hold? In these days in time, how can you be sure the seller is legit. Maybe I should trust that if someone is on this forum they are legit and not just here to scam. (These aren't cheap by no means). If you were to buy a used from afar would you transfer money to a 'stranger'?

Considering these units aren't just a couple thousand $, how do most sellers accept payments? I assume cash is best but I'm referring to a 'hold deposit' if necessary.

Also, I assume that the seller's tow vehicle would need to be the same height as our tow vehicle? Again I'm looking at the 5.0's.

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts/advice/input. I just want to be prepared to jump if I see one! 🤞🏼🤞🏼[emoji3]

Last year we sold our Casita that was located in Missouri to a man in Wisconsin. He was not able to pick it up for a week. We received a $500 non-refundable deposit (in case he no showed or changed his mind) via paypal. When he arrived we went to a branch of the bank he banks at and received a certified check.
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
When I had inquiries about selling my Campster and holding for someone who wasn't local, and the person checked out as legit, I said I would hold it only if no one else wanted to see it the coming weekend, and then for a deposit which would be refundable if they showed up and did not want it for some reason, but not if they did not show up.

I ended up selling it locally, though.

When I bought my 15 I just lucked out and it was still available 3 weeks later when I could go see it. I hadn't actually ever seen one in person so it didn't occur to me to just send a deposit to hold it (and I wouldn't have blamed the seller if he didn't want to hold it.) I did verify he hadn't sold it just before leaving home, and at that point he agreed to hold it until I came.

You could get someone nearby to take a peek and make sure it was legit before sending a deposit.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

Thanks for the money arrangement ideas. They all been noted. If/when the time comes I'll know there are safe options!
Anyone ever sold a 5.0 and a particular buyer/onlooker couldn't buy due to the height? Assuming there is not a way to lift or lower the actual trailer on site? Is all that done to buyer specifications at time of ordering?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Team

Do you mean because the trailer is too tall?

The height of the trailer is fixed. It can be RAISED slightly if you have the high lift axle option for increased ground clearance, but it can't be lowered.

Some have gotten creative however and swapped out the stock tires and wheels for smaller ones just when storing the trailer, so it will fit under a structure.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Do you mean because the trailer is too tall?

The height of the trailer is fixed. It can be RAISED slightly if you have the high lift axle option for increased ground clearance, but it can't be lowered.

Some have gotten creative however and swapped out the stock tires and wheels for smaller ones just when storing the trailer, so it will fit under a structure.

more so the trailer being too short or too tall to hook the nose of the fifth wheel into the bed of the truck?! Although now that I type this I wonder if that isn't an issue at all since technically the tailgate of the truck is down anyways while you are hitched?! Wow, I'm starting to feel silly now. Obviously I haven't a clue about fifths so I'm. It even sure the question I'm asking. [emoji15][emoji55]. FYI We have an F250 gas. Nothing jacked up or anything. Just trying to think all scenarios through [emoji16]

Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
more so the trailer being too short or too tall to hook the nose of the fifth wheel into the bed of the truck?! Although now that I type this I wonder if that isn't an issue at all since technically the tailgate of the truck is down anyways while you are hitched?! Wow, I'm starting to feel silly now. Obviously I haven't a clue about fifths so I'm. It even sure the question I'm asking. [emoji15][emoji55]. FYI We have an F250 gas. Nothing jacked up or anything. Just trying to think all scenarios through [emoji16]

The tailgate isn't down when youre hitched up to a 5th wheel. You either use the stock tailgate up if your kingpin, hitch and bed height provide enough clearance, or you replace the stock tailgate with a notched one. If the 5th wheel loft can clear the bed side rails, it can clear the tailgate - same height.

And yes, there are some trucks whose bed rails are too high to tow an Escape 5th wheel. Sometimes this can be remedied by using an extended kingpin or higher hitch, but that can pose another problem - the trailer is now nose up instead of level.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The tailgate isn't down when youre hitched up to a 5th wheel. You either use the stock tailgate up if your kingpin, hitch and bed height provide enough clearance, or you replace the stock tailgate with a notched one. If the 5th wheel loft can clear the bed side rails, it can clear the tailgate - same height.

So end story on that is the nose of the 5.0 must clear our bed rails or it would not work.

Thanks Ryan for your info. Of course u make total sense and I'm feeling a bit dumb

Old 07-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
So end story on that is the nose of the 5.0 must clear our bed rails or it would not work.

Thanks Ryan for your info. Of course u make total sense and I'm feeling a bit dumb

Don't feel dumb. We have all been there. In fact, I think I visited today. [emoji1]
Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We are in the market for a 21 and recently missed 2 that sold withing days to people who were able to get there more quickly. Used escapes are a hot commodity and you might have to drop everything to show up with cash in order to get one.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
We are in the market for a 21 and recently missed 2 that sold withing days to people who were able to get there more quickly. Used escapes are a hot commodity and you might have to drop everything to show up with cash in order to get one.

[emoji20]. This, sadly, I know. If only I was retired or didn't have to work for a living. Ha ha
I'm hoping if I do see one they will be willing to accept a deposit.
Good luck in your search also! I hope you find yours soon!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Just to clarify, to help you get what you really want:
Are you looking for a 5.0 TA (tandem axle)?
When I see 5.0, I think it means the original single axle 5.0, manufactured until about 2014. Sometimes in the past it was called "5.0 SA" (single axle), or "5.0 Classic", but now the "classic" moniker typically refers to pre-2017 models with the curved sides and aircraft-style door.

Good luck with your search!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Just to clarify, to help you get what you really want:

Are you looking for a 5.0 TA (tandem axle)?

When I see 5.0, I think it means the original single axle 5.0, manufactured until about 2014. Sometimes in the past it was called "5.0 SA" (single axle), or "5.0 Classic", but now the "classic" moniker typically refers to pre-2017 models with the curved sides and aircraft-style door.

Good luck with your search!

Double axle [emoji846]
Thank you

Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
[emoji20]. This, sadly, I know. If only I was retired or didn't have to work for a living. Ha ha
I'm hoping if I do see one they will be willing to accept a deposit.
Good luck in your search also! I hope you find yours soon!

Unfortunately for you, most Escapes are (for now at least) are west of the Mississippi. This means you'll not only have a harder time getting to the trailer for an inspection, but other buyers will have a leg up on you. Personally, I'd be reluctant to take my used Escape off the market for a deposit because if you decided for any reason not to go through with the deal, I may have missed an opportunity to sell it to someone else. Above all else, if you find one you like, ask for LOTS of photos. Doesn't cost the seller anything to take them and send them to you. I'd also search this Forum for their previous posts to make sure they weren't selling it because of a problem the discussed here. Good luck to you.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote