Put a deposit on a 13' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Put a deposit on a 13'

We went to the assembly shop yesterday to see Reace and watch Anne-Marie and Doug pick up their "Howie." Reace was helping Anne-Marie and Doug, so we got a lot of assistance from Denice. I was shocked at how young Reace is! The gentleman is very helpful and straightforward.

We have a 2000 Subaru Forester with 207,000 km on the odometer that has a towing capacity of 2400 pounds. So a 17' is too heavy. The job security isn't what I would like right now, so buying a new tow vehicle seems a bad idea. The price on a 13' is very aggressive, so we have ordered a Plan B for delivery at the end of July.

We have asked Reace to eliminate the drawer above the tiny refrigerator so he can squeeze in a small fridge with a freezer.

When you enter the 13', to your left there is a column containing a wardrobe above and the furnace below. We asked Reace to replace the wardrobe with a low cabinet with a counter-top to create a more "open" feeling in the trailer. In order for that to work, he will have to extend the overhead cabinet, and install a support post from the countertop to the overhead cabinet.

At the front right, beside the toilet, is a little bench seat. We have asked for that to be replaced with a chest of drawers. That will increase the weight up front, so we are going to be careful in how we design this.

Also, we have asked Reace to put a shielded window on the right side of the front of the trailer. He will ask his supplier if it is possible.

They were very busy in the shop yesterday, preparing for the Humdinger. There were three 13' in various stages, the 19', and one or two 17'. Apparently the show trailers have to be at the show site on Tuesday, to be ready for the beginning of the show on Thursday. Fortunately, it is only 6 km from the shop to the show.

Next week, after the show, I am going to ask Reace to get an actual height measurement on an unladen 13' trailer with a Max fan. My carport is 94" high, so I hope we can squeeze in the new trailer.

So, now I can officially get excited. We will have a shakedown trip on the August long weekend. I think we will do the Tsawwassen-Hope-Lillooett-Squamish-Tsawwassen loop with a light load. That will give us a good idea of whether the Forester is up to the job. Two weeks later, we will have a two or three-week vacation in the Kootenays and beyond.

We will probably go to the Humdinger on Saturday. When is everybody going to be there?

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Re: Put a deposit on a 13'

Hey, great news and congrats on putting the deposit down....

All the mods sound very interesting and we'll need pictures when it is all done....Nice to know that things can be worked out to fit everyones needs... You will enjoy it SO much... Good to hear you have a trip already planned..

I think I may just pop out to the show on Friday night with Doug. If he doesn't want to go, I may go out Thursday in the day and my sis and I can go browse..... She quite likes those shows too. I'm really gonna be hooped if I really like the 19' aren't I?

Reace will be living at the shop the next couple days and I think he will for sure need a good breather after the show is done next weekend....

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Super! Congratulations We are all awaiting more picutes!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Yes, photos would be great!

Congratulations on your 13'!! I bet those will be very cute!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #5

Congrats!! you'll be towing in no time :

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
WRJ

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15

Re: the height of 13" to top of Max Fan is 93" per Reace when I made the same inquiry. Ours should be ready in the next few weeks and we are putting in a larger fridge too.
WRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Many congrats Ron. The 13's sure are nice. Hard to believe you can so effectively pack so much into a 10' shell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

WRJ, welcome and congratulations to you to. Which model of 13 did you get?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
WRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
WRJ, welcome and congratulations to you to. Which model of 13 did you get?
Thanks, we are getting a plan B, it sounds as if it is the most popular. It was what we were looking for, light weight, well finished, and a good company to deal with.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: ...And welcome WRJ...It just don't get better'n that now does it
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome WRJ. Is this another 13'? Wow! I'm sure it will be a gem.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
WRJ

Sorry Ron, I may have given you some wrong info, We stopped by the shop today and had a talk with Reace. He showed us your modifications and we bought into your ideas. We are doing similar to you in the existing closet and moving it to the front rather than the bench seat. During the conversation we talked about the overall height, Reace said he would like to raise the ground clearance about 1". That means the height would be 94". Best wait until ours is complete to determine the final Height. Sorry for any confusion, but thanks for the great plan change ideas.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #13

WRJ, glad to be of service. Be aware that you are adding weight to the front of the trailer, and therefore increasing the tongue weight. We were talking about a stack of drawers, but I think that a cupboard with sliding shelves might be the best compromise.

Hmm. That extra inch may well make the difference between the trailer fitting and not fitting in the carport. This weekend I will make myself a 94" measuring stick. Not perfect, since the trailer is "very three-dimensional" but the stick will give me a good idea of the minimum carport dimension.

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote