Quality - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Actually, Canadian Tire seems to be able to handle averse product reviews. They just post them, if you have an account.
But, they aren't selling their own trailers.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
ETI has made it clear that their forum is not for open discussion. If you want to provide feedback to ETI - which is certainly a good idea - why not just send them an e-mail?

Any company needs a system which collects and manages issues. A third-party forum like this can't be that system, and the ETI forum isn't, either. Most companies don't expose their system to their customers, and ETI doesn't, and building an external system for them seems futile.
I totally agree… my whole working career was in manufacturing and customer feedback was extremely important as a way to improve our product, some companies I worked for didn’t hear their customers.. hoping Escape does.Don’t get me wrong I love my 19 for over four years and looking forward to my new 21 C I have on order.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am sure every one of the owners with issues has been in contact with Escape post-sales support team. Ksfisk noted that. I know I have been. I have also written to Karl and asked my sales support person to pass my feedback to Karl, as I could not find his contact information anywhere on the website. So, I wonder what makes you think that Escape is somehow not aware of the owner issues or that anyone raising them here is being irresponsible (i.e., not constructive).
Just looking at the posts from owners on lack of help from Escape. Customer service is the best service a company can offer…just saying
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Karl is just an employee. KV calls the shots and they probably tell him what to say or not.

Things weren't perfect with Reace & Tammy, yet their personal integrity was on the line. Not so anymore.

We have had almost 8 years of (knock in wood) almost trouble free experience. We had a few items we took back up to Escape just before our 2 year mark. "Is that all" Reace asked? Love the trailer and it looks almost new after the last detail.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #85

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Just looking at the posts from owners on lack of help from Escape. Customer service is the best service a company can offer…just saying
By just saying it (again), you are implying that the obvious step of contacting the company is not being taken. I have already stated that it is not the case. If the response received is the best service the company can offer, it is disappointing.

The thread was originally started by someone seeking input on quality. There was a lot of positive input offered early on and no one, including myself, felt any heartburn. A few recent buyers posted some less than satisfactory experiences and they get unpleasant push back from some of the other posters. Unless someone believes they are making it up, I do not feel it is right.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A Forum isn't the best place to let Escape know of a problem. The best thing is to simply call them or email them directly. If their "forum" proves to be a viable way of communicating with the company in a timely manner, great. But it's not a substitute for an open forum of owners and prospective owners with opinions that often diverge from the manufacturer's narrative.

I think it's a mistake for ETI not to check out this forum regularly, as it's the best way to see what people really think without the filters. But they're under no obligation to visit here.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #87

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post
I have been extremely frustrated with their solutions, or lack there of, for the composting toilet. it has been over a week since I told Dustin that I found his solutions to be inadequate and problematic. I have not heard back from him since that point.
I find it almost amusing that they have a video out from shortly after they announced the Production increase, in which they talk about quality control and how when a customer brings an issue to their attention, a ticket would be opened and it would remain open until the customer told them it was resolved to their satisfaction.
I contacted Dustin at Escape a few weeks ago about our solar wiring, since we were adding 300 watts to the roof.

After the solar talk I asked Dustin about the Dometic SDS2 exploding stovetop. First I was told the stovetop was not Escapes responsibility. Then I was told "every owner is to check every nut/bolt in their camper at least once a year." I nearly lost it! After composing myself I asked Dustin if owners were to remove their fridge and furnace every year to check for loose nuts? He came back with "every owner is to check every nut/bolt in their camper at least once a year." I then told him that was unrealistic and just plain "stupid." We both agreed it was best to end our phone conversation.

Obviously Rease is totally gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
ETI has made it clear that their forum is not for open discussion. If you want to provide feedback to ETI - which is certainly a good idea - why not just send them an e-mail?

Any company needs a system which collects and manages issues. A third-party forum like this can't be that system, and the ETI forum isn't, either. Most companies don't expose their system to their customers, and ETI doesn't, and building an external system for them seems futile.
It's not a forum, but only a Q & A, with Escape controlling the questions and the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A Forum isn't the best place to let Escape know of a problem. The best thing is to simply call them or email them directly. If their "forum" proves to be a viable way of communicating with the company in a timely manner, great. But it's not a substitute for an open forum of owners and prospective owners with opinions that often diverge from the manufacturer's narrative.
I sent Karl Kenny a registered/signature-required letter that took four weeks for Karl to receive, outlining the problems and possible solutions of their stock exploding Dometic SDS2 stovetop. Escape has been duly served. Years ago, Ford found itself complicit in the Firestone tire fiasco, so Escape is just silently crossing their fingers.

Aside from having an LP gas explosion in my face (now have a Dickinson stovetop), we love our Escape 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #88

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Perryb67, did you get any reply/communication other than the signature receipt? (Doesn't sound like it.)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #89

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
If its what you want....why y'all complaining? The Escape is no Airstream for sure..and also doesn't have the price tag... You were the one complaining...
I think I should complain (I call it customer feedback) when I see the main propane feed line running through the propane tank metal tray, not secure , not protected from road debris, and possibly chaffing on the tray over time. Will I have a leak and subsequent fire/explosion?
I think I should complain when I see a propane line running through a hole in the bottom of the trailer where the fiberglass hole is splintered, and the propane line doesn't appear to be secure or protected.
I think I should complain when I see the electrical lines from my 2 solar panels running along the top of my trailer, only secured in one place. The lines and connectors where chaffing the top of my trailer. One connector chaffed the top of my trailer with zero miles on my trailer. The connector chaffed while my trailer was sitting on a flatbed being delivered from Chilliwack to Las Vegas.
I think I should complain when I see masking tape securing the fresh water tank level sensors.
I think I should complain when I see untreated/unpainted 1x4" pine boards next to my grey tank, exposed to the weather. How long before they rot!
I think I should complain when I see caulking inside the bathroom vent fan rubbing against the plastic fan blades. How long before I have blade breakage?
I think I should complain when I see the electric wire loom going to the right side trailer brakes not secure, and chaffing against the axle mount bracket edge. Will I loose my trailer brake at some point?

I could go on and on with issues I found. Maybe I got the one trailer out of all that are produced with so many quality issues. I doubt it. Maybe customers aren't taking a close look at their trailers like I did. I only wish I could see behind the walls.

It's OK for all you "ETI Cheerleaders" out there to promote ETI's "quality". When someone sees my 21C, I talk about how I like it. However, when someone on this Forum talks about the quality issues with their trailer maybe people should listen and look at their trailers, instead of saying I'm complaining. Maybe you don't care about fires/explosions or brake failures.

To be fair, I sent pictures to Karl and Samuel of all the issues I found. Karl replied quickly saying he was going to make changes in the production processes. Additionally, when I've contacted Dustin with questions, he's been very responsive.

Thanks to the OP that started this thread. The discussion needed to happen.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #90

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
Ya, it's used. However people are paying premium prices not to wait. I don't know about your State; in Nevada if you buy car, trailer, motor home, etc. from a dealer you pay the Nevada sales tax. If you buy from a private party then you don't pay any sales tax. Would someone pay half my sales tax to avoid a 9% sales tax in California for example! Maybe!

I like it when people make assumptions about other people ("...it's obviously isn't what you want..). How do you know what I want!
Additionally, although it's a used 21C, it's in better condition and safer than when it left the factory because I've fixed all the quality issues I could see!
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #91

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Perryb67, did you get any reply/communication other than the signature receipt? (Doesn't sound like it.)
No I haven't heard a word. After listening to Dustin's attitude on the components they choose, but expect you to monitor and check yearly, I doubt anyone will hear anything. You can read their response on their forum.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #92

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
On this thread alone we have at least 4 posters who have received their new Escapes within the last 6 months, and have found the QC to be inadequate. Such sentiment has been expressed by others who have received their camper in the last year on this forum on other threads. They have every right to say so on this forum, without being persecuted. Should they turn around and sell their camper is not for anyone else to say or suggest. That they have not does not make their issues or comments on the QC any less credible. Nor do they deserve this type of harassment.

In my view, Escape does have an emerging quality problem. Whether it is due to the change in ownership / leadership, the rush to increase production to meet surging post-Covid demand or the introduction of new options without adequate preparation is something I cannot say. But, for the sake of its present and future customers, I hope they take it seriously and address it. It is a company with a good DNA, some very good people - with scores of happy customers and it’d be a shame to lose their long earned reputation. As a direct-sales model, they are less suited to fare well with it.
Well said.

A Good Reputation is built with passion. Without passion Good can turn to Bad in a heartbeat.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #93

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Really appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread. I feel it's the most important thread I've read since joining the forum early this year after putting in my deposit.

This forum is full of wonderfully positive feedback and it's obvious to most people here that Escape trailers are special and deserve the rabid following that they have.

I also believe a product can go downhill but the brand appeal stays strong due to its previous reputation.

I appreciate those who put themselves out there telling about their experience. Word of mouth is very strong.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #94

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Is Karl the actual owner of Escape? I was under the impression that Escape was now owned by a private equity group that was actually calling the shots. True or false.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #95

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Is Karl the actual owner of Escape? I was under the impression that Escape was now owned by a private equity group that was actually calling the shots. True or false.
Karl is the President who was brought in by KV Private Equity.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
No I haven't heard a word. After listening to Dustin's attitude on the components they choose, but expect you to monitor and check yearly, I doubt anyone will hear anything. You can read their response on their forum.
Unbelievable. Maybe they will wake up when they start getting certified letters from attorneys. They know there is a problem and in my opinion are complicit. Even without an official recall from Airxcel/Suburban they could issue a bulletin highlighting the potential issue and what an owner or their technician can check. They also could show they care about their customers and product reputation by selecting, testing and installing different cooktop options. I really just hope no one else gets hurt.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #97

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I give up. Went to the link to ETI stovetop discussion and it appears to be closed and I can't find how one would read any discussion.
OTOH, I wouldn't think ETI would voluntarily assume liability for the non-recall.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #98

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
After reading this post I was disappointed in what some of you have gone through with your Escape Trailers.
My wife and I purchased in 2017 and had a few issues first time out, a phone call with Rease and the problems solved. We had our bathroom window fall apart and was repaired by Escape 2018. In 2019 we spent 6.5 months in our trailer leaving the lower mainland for Quartzite rally and looped over to the eastern seaboard up the coast back into Canada. We did Newfoundland and the other eastern provinces making our way back home and our worst problem was uneven tire wear. I’m handy so I did some regular maintenance including tightening a few screws along the way.
I have repainted the rear bumper (100 miles on gravel) re coated our insulation under the trailer with undercoating and have used Loctite on spare tire carrier, propane tank carrier and front cargo box.
I’m sorry to hear of the new management not been helpful, I think they are missing a big opportunity to build the brand.
I came from a food background and there is a saying that you can serve 100 great meals but the only one remembered is the one bad one. But the most important thing is how you handled it because that customer will definitely tell there friends about it.
We do love our trailer and if we had to replace it we would definitely get another Escape
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
OTOH, I wouldn't think ETI would voluntarily assume liability for the non-recall.
Not asking for them to assume liability for the manufacturers defective product. I’m asking for them to do some simple things to help protect their customers from getting hurt. If we live in a world where saying nothing and doing nothing is the preference over doing everything you can to protect your customers from injury that it really, really sad.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #100

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not asking for them to assume liability for the manufacturers defective product. I’m asking for them to do some simple things to help protect their customers from getting hurt. If we live in a world where saying nothing and doing nothing is the preference over doing everything you can to protect your customers from injury that it really, really sad.
One has only to look around and realize that is exactly the world we live in. As you say, Sad!