Quality - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Quality

I have watched several videos and the quality of Escape seems really good. I have also looked at the Olivers, but since I don't plan on four season camping, I can't justify the cost.

My question for owners--Have you been pleased with the quality of the Escapes?

Thanks!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cheerleading aside ... You'll get a pretty good/fair indication of the Escape trailers' quality, or our opinions on it, by simply reading through the many postings on this forum.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
For investing in a long term trailer, fiberglass in my opinion is the best option. Of that I think Escape makes a good value product and I would buy another one. I just love the smooth round finish of the trailer.

I have dug into the trailer extensively and there are a few things that I would have done differently but I can understand why they did it the way they did.

The weak link is not in what they build but the appliances they install from other manufacturers. Some are OK and some develop problems. Theses are the same items that are installed in thousands of other RVs so we are not alone.

Keep in mind what you read in the forum is usually when someone has a problem. Seldom does do people compliment when an item is working normally in their trailer.

Good luck on your purchase.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I agree with Myron and Eggscape.

I’d add this opinion. We bought our Escape knowing 1. We live about an hour from the factory and would be able to bring the trailer to Escape for service (during the 2 year warranty). 2. I am not skilled in anything mechanical.

For people like me living far far away from the factory without handy do-it-yourself mechanical skills in my opinion should be very very willing to learn. I’ve picked up some “skills” but it stretches me (which is a good thing since I’m 67 years old and learning new things is good for me). If I lived 1000’s of klicks/miles away from Escape I’d want to be close to a reputable RV dealer and have people in my relational network willing to assist me and answer my stupid newbie questions.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
With the caveat that we’ve only had our trailer for 3 months and used it about 10 nights. So far everything has been perfect. I’m impressed with the build quality and all of the non-escape components have worked perfectly. Don’t have a single complaint.

We understand that stuff will go wrong eventually, but I really don’t anticipate that on the trailer itself but rather things like fans, refrigerator, AC etc. which will happen with any RV. Heck it happens at my house too.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
I have watched several videos and the quality of Escape seems really good. I have also looked at the Olivers, but since I don't plan on four season camping, I can't justify the cost.

Thanks!
Dwain
I currently own a 2017 19 foot which I bought new from Escape. I have had some issues right at the beginning which where appliance manufacturers quality issues. Unfortunately there are not a lot of RV appliance manufacturers that Escape can choose from. They eventually got resolved and it been smooth sailing since then. I owned a casita for 6 years before upgrading to an Escape and the quality between the two trailers is very apparent, Escape being the better. I am waiting very impatiently for my new 21C.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We just sold our 2017 17B after many miles of happy travel and camping. The only problem we ever had was occasionally with the appliances. The build quality was very good, and I only trust that it will be carried on in our new 5.0 completed at the end of August. Usually repeat customers means something.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We couldn't be happier with the build quality of our 2019 5.0. Coming from a stick built trailer where the roof leaked and things inside tended to shake apart, the Escape is so much more solid and well built, and of course has all the advantages of a fiberglass shell. Because the cabinetry is integral to the structural integrity of the trailer I think they put much more effort and care into it, after two years nothing is loose and the fit and finish is pretty much perfect.

As others have reported we have had a couple of issues with components - the same components used by almost all trailer manufacturers - so can't complain about that. And ETI service has always been very responsive and helpful with any questions or issues.

With a lot of things it's common to fall in love with the appearance of something and not notice a bunch of little things that are flawed or not quite right after you use it for a while. With our Escape it has been just the opposite - the more time we spend in it, the more I notice how well built it is and the more I like it.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i owned a 17B then sold it and ordered a 5.0 TA. i loved both trailers just wanted more room so i moved up to a 5.0 i also prefer towing and hooking up a 5.0 . i think the quality is excellent.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #10

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
In 2015 we were looking for an economical way to travel and see the country after we retired. I never knew about fiberglass "egg" trailers and how they were radically different from "normal" campers until I started reading this particular lifestyle / financial blog:

Living Stingy

FWIW this blogger had a Casita for years but has since purchased an Escape within the last year or two.

We were fortunate to be able to view a 19' in September 2015 up in Omaha, NE and immediately put down our deposit for a 21' sight unseen. Drove to BC and picked up the rig in June 2016. Kinda cool that Reace gave us our orientation and Tammy did the final paperwork. Wonderful people and I had a feeling then it was only a matter of time before they eventually got tired of the grind and would sell ETI.

After 5 years, I am very happy with our purchase and the overall quality of the rig. For sure, the appliances are the same as other RV manufacturers use and the Dometic fridge has been somewhat of a disappointment. However, I can happily report that I've never been stuck at a campground waiting for an RV tech to come fix a slide-out that won't retract. BTW I just ran across this today:

https://archive.curbed.com/2017/6/28...andable-beauer

Long cantilevered extensions, some indeterminate interface surface where the units rub against as they slide in/out (this interface also needs to keep out rain), things inside that "auto-magically" fold up when retracting.... What could go wrong?

I am very grateful for all the freely given knowledge I've acquired from this forum. Hope to see some of you on the road one day.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post

Thanks!
Dwain
Hi: Dwainkitchens... I first stumbled on Escapes when Reace was in the thought process of building the 5.0 single axle in 2006. We looked at the first Escape 5.0 east of the rockies in 2007 and owned it in 2008. We showed it so many times and people kept ordering them that Reace decided to keep building them. In the natural progression of things we decided in 2014 to upgrade to a 5.0TA when Reace started to build them and bought #2 out of the mold. I was advised not to buy a "First year" trailer... but did so anyway. Boy am I glad I did!!! I've spent more money on repairs to my tow vehicles than repair/serviceing of my trailers and lost more trading tows than trailers.
Our first fiberglass trailer bought in 2006 was 29 yrs old then and still on the road today in 2021. We saw it in 2019 at the Vintage Fiberglass rally in Nova Scotia Canada, a testament to fiberglass trailers!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040985.jpg   P1000279.jpg   P1050271.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #12

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Sorry, I meant to link to a specific blog post:

https://livingstingy.blogspot.com/20...on-budget.html

IF you go there, you will find a pdf outlining quality and other issues with the RV industry.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #13

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Thank you!

Thanks for all your replies.
Blessings to you all!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
We have had our trailer 21C for 5 months and have no issue with any of the appliances. Dometic AC, SUburban stove and oven, etc.. Have had to replace the anode in the water heater, but that probably due to the hard water.
The body is so far leak free, although the sidewalls are fairly thin and show imprinting where interior partitions are located. This is cosmetic only as it’s a trailer and not a boat.

The trailer frames are light and the paint is thin. I have yet to find a coat of primer anywhere. And the reason the underbody shows rusting after a few months. I spent time under the trailer covering the areas with POR15 in clear. That way I did not have to worry so much about overspray.
I also recoated the bumper and trailer tongue. It does not have to be done, I am just that way.
My Old airstream did not show any signs of rusting after 30 years.
I believe the Oliver has an aluminum frame.

I also rebuilt the bed framing as I wanted to be able to remove the plywood base without removing the supporting structure. There is another forum on this. I was able to do this to my liking in a day or so.
I also reframed the area around the battery compartment to make easy access to the batteries.

This is not to say I am berating the quality of the build, I am saying for the price it is what you should expect. Now is it a Oliver or Airstream 4 season quality? I would say no.
I did not get the insulated undercarriage as I did not need a 4 season trailer. If I did I would have opted for the extra 20 +grand for the other trailer, as the spray is ugly as sin and prevents prompt repairs (addressed in another forum).

If I needed a true off-road trailer I would have gone with a Black Series.

Everything has an intended purpose. I am happy with our Escape and it is very sufficient for its use.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I am on my 5th Escape, does that tell you anything other than perhaps I can not count?........
Old 07-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Fillerup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I am on my 5th Escape, does that tell you anything other than perhaps I can not count?........
Hi: cpaharley2008... One, two, thr... Oh look there's the propane tanks!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
This week I traveled from Mesquite, Nevada to San Jose, CA and back. I stopped both ways in Bakersfield, CA. I left San Jose and stopped overnight in Bakersfield. It was 109 degrees in Bakersfield at 2PM. It took 4 hours for my 21C to cool down after being on the road for 5 hours. Today, the trailer was parked overnight at my house with the AC running. This afternoon it is 115 degrees outside. My 21C never cooled down. Bottom line, the 11,000BTU AC is not large enough to handle the desert heat.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
This is the kind of real world experience I need to hear. Several people on here want me to believe the 9500 BTU ac unit by Houghton will be enough for my pending 5.0 build. I have others with smaller sq/ft that have installed the 13500 BTU in my climate that tell me i will hate myself if I don't install the 13,500 BTU unit. I live in Florida and the sun is intense (maybe not desert intense) but my mind is made up now. Thank you for that!
Old 07-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Lol. Maybe it’s not a 5 season trailer. Who wants to camp in 110-115 degrees or below zero.
Most air conditioning systems are rated at 90 degrees at least in our homes. Maybe not in the desert, but who wants to go there. Not this south Texas boy. Texas is hot, not desert hot so our system is just dandy.
Real world info. For a lot of things perhaps, but certainly not for ordinary travel trailers.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 E21C
We are in month 4 of ownership of a 2021 21C trailer. We've camped in the trailer for six weeks since we picked it up. Overall, I am super happy with most of the trailer. The shell is absolutely beautiful and looks like it will last for years while retaining it's appearance and staying leak free with a minimum of maintenance. The running gear has been good and no problems with the coupler, though you can find plenty of complaints here on the forum. I find that just moving the tow vehicle a tiny bit forward after getting the coupler on the ball allows easy hitching and unhitching every time.

My quality issues mostly concern the components that are manufactured by other vendors and that are installed in the trailer. In just four months of ownership, I've had problems with the SeaLevel tank monitor system (expen$$$ive and inaccurate) the water pump (faulty pressure switch and strainer cup), the water heater (electric heating element failed - never used it with a dry hot water tank), my Furion backup/rear view camera, which I loved (the power cord failed and they don't sell replacements for this part which probably costs $5, rendering the nearly $500 system useless, trying a cord off of amazon and hoping it will fit), and the latest, our Dometic 6 cu ft fridge completely failed two weeks ago, leaking ammonia into the trailer. There have been some ETI related defects too, but they've been very minor, a mis-routed negative battery cable that caused it to detach from the terminal, shutting down the 12v systems and the annoying latch catches that require realignment regularly. Small potatoes.

Escape has tried, sort of, to help but they basically can only tell you to go to a dealer that sells whatever component is problematic. Most of the stuff is cheap, but the refer was $1500 and I had to do the labor on a hot day. The $600 tank monitoring system still does not work correctly and ETI told me "we're working on an engineering solution". That was several weeks ago and no word since. I'd actually prefer a refund.

I submitted a bill for water pump parts to ETI weeks ago but still have not been reimbursed. I've made phone calls that weren't returned by ETI and sent emails. Sometimes they are super responsive but the majority of times that I've contacted them, I've heard nothing. I don't know if they are just swamped or what, but I can't be the only owner out there with a brand new trailer where many things went sideways. Or maybe I am. When someone has contacted me, they have been super nice and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. But, I still have had to fix and pay for each and every repair myself if I want the use of the trailer.

Since it has primarily been components that have been troublesome, the same thing could happen with any other unit from any other RV manufacturer. Dealer 'service' is a PITA and a bad joke. When I tried to get warranty service on my fridge, I was told, 'bring it in on July 21st. We won't likely work on it for at least three weeks, then we'll have to wait for Dometic to OK the warranty service'. It's infuriating. I'm supposed to tie up my trailer three weeks from now, for weeks, with no assurance that anything will even be done. In the meantime, no refrigeration and ammonia in the trailer? Come on. There was a time when either the vendor or the manufacturer would just send you a new part to replace the faulty one. Those days are no more. I just installed a new fridge from Camping World today. The old one is going to the appliance recycler tomorrow. I'm $1500 poorer and my hands are beat up but at least we have a functional camper again without it sitting on a Dometic dealer lot for July and August.

I'm not trying to bash here, just relaying my experiences so far. If I weren't able to work on the trailer myself, it would have been tied up on a dealer lot for the entire camping season this year.

When the fridge died, I seriously considered replacing the fridge and selling the trailer. Too many problems for such a short ownership period (this is my fifth RV in the past 30 years). But, I really love this camper. I always wanted this kind of a shell design. The light weight and size make it the easiest towing trailer I've ever had and it's still a very comfortable size for two adults and a big dog. I love the interior and am really hoping that we will have trouble free ownership for a while. I wish my post could have been more positive but ownership has been a bit of a challenge so far.
glsails is offline   Reply With Quote