Quality of Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I fuly agree and understand your frustration . I have never believed that mailing the customer a box of parts and then passing the burden of installing them on to the customer is living up to the warranty . Whether Escape installs a wired or wireless camera , it should work properly and the customer should not be responsible for Escape’s choice of equipment
I am going to stop now because I can tell by some of the responses that we are headed down the same road again , blaming / attacking the end consumer .
From my experience and knowledge Escape’s guality and warranty is no better than Scamps or Casitas and nowhere near the quality of Oliver or Bigfoot !
As long as you make responses like this you can expect responses back. And you always head down the same road blaming the manufacturer. After how many years on this forum did you not know that ETI was located in Chilliwack, Canada and for warranty repair you either take it back, find a camper repair service, or fix it yourself, yet you still bought an Escape?

Perry
Old 08-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
As long as you make responses like this you can expect responses back. And you always head down the same road blaming the manufacturer. After how many years on this forum did you not know that ETI was located in Chilliwack, Canada and for warranty repair you either take it back, find a camper repair service, or fix it yourself, yet you still bought an Escape?

Perry
You and I see things differently and neither one of us is going to change .
Whether you or I have the correct view does nothing to solve the problem for the individual with the defective / improperly installed camera .
I have a list of factory defects with my Escape that is over two pages long (26 items) and I have personally repaired over 80% of them so far
It’s not that I can’t repair / fix the issues but that I would rather spend my time camping than working on my trailer . Every time I head out on a trip with our Escape in the back of my mind I wonder what will fail next . Dependability is an important trait in human beings and manufactured goods in my book
I wish I had a simple solution to fix the camera problem but I don’t !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I thought the default for mounting a rear camera was on the exterior above the rear window. Dave did you specifically ask for it to be wired inside, or is it? AND, isn't all the wiring run in the corners behind the removable vinyl panel? There should be no need to 'cut' the vinyl. What am I missing....
Donna disappointed that wiring backup camera ‘s hasn’t changed ? Escape ruined our new Voyager camera hooking it to 12 volt wiring under the vinyl . It is supposed to be wired into the rear backup lights , so it doesn’t stay on 24 hrs . It shuts off when the truck lights are off . I paid 100 to Escape for installing back in 2013 . The camera was toast . I sold the monitor for 50 and purchased again, another Voyager . That was 5 years ago . I had to spend time figuring out what happened and fix it myself . I did have to cut the vinyl and installed a on and off switch . We have to remember to shut it off ,but it has a light . Also turn it on . My expertise is not electrical wiring and that was the best way for me to fix it . I paid Escape the money and handed the Voyager to Tammy . I thought they knew what they were doing .
I am still pissed to this day for the money lost . That was in the first year of ownership . I am not going to go into the rest of my issues with Escape , I am trying to move on . Unlike others we have not had very good experiences with Escape . I will say if I could get Reace it would get resolved . Anyone else forget it . Instead of worrying about changes to trailers , I wish the new owners would focus on wiring , etc ,and making the best trouble free trailer out there .
Really happy some of you haven’t had any problems but not so for many of us .We are lucky we can solve and fix many things on this trailer . Many can’t . For the amount of money we pay I expect better . This is not our first RV either the previous was a custom built camper we owned for 12 years . Built by a father and son and one of 150 ever built . Not our first but sure was a great camper . Bought this Escape trailer for a little more room . Bought this camper because it was Canadian made . My Dad was Born in Canada . Sorry this camera post brought up that issue again for me .
Stop with putting down the poster , it really doesn’t helping solve the problem or look good . Donna this last sentence does not apply to you at all .
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Donna disappointed that wiring backup camera ‘s hasn’t changed ? Escape ruined our new Voyager camera hooking it to 12 volt wiring under the vinyl . It is supposed to be wired into the rear backup lights , so it doesn’t stay on 24 hrs . It shuts off when the truck lights are off . I paid 100 to Escape for installing back in 2013 . The camera was toast . I sold the monitor for 50 and purchased again, another Voyager . That was 5 years ago . I had to spend time figuring out what happened and fix it myself . I did have to cut the vinyl and installed a on and off switch . We have to remember to shut it off ,but it has a light . Also turn it on . My expertise is not electrical wiring and that was the best way for me to fix it . I paid Escape the money and handed the Voyager to Tammy . I thought they knew what they were doing .
I am still pissed to this day for the money lost . That was in the first year of ownership . I am not going to go into the rest of my issues with Escape , I am trying to move on . Unlike others we have not had very good experiences with Escape . I will say if I could get Reace it would get resolved . Anyone else forget it . Instead of worrying about changes to trailers , I wish the new owners would focus on wiring , etc ,and making the best trouble free trailer out there .
Really happy some of you haven’t had any problems but not so for many of us .We are lucky we can solve and fix many things on this trailer . Many can’t . For the amount of money we pay I expect better . This is not our first RV either the previous was a custom built camper we owned for 12 years . Built by a father and son and one of 150 ever built . Not our first but sure was a great camper . Bought this Escape trailer for a little more room . Bought this camper because it was Canadian made . My Dad was Born in Canada . Sorry this camera post brought up that issue again for me .
Stop with putting down the poster , it really doesn’t helping solve the problem or look good . Donna this last sentence does not apply to you at all .
Pat
In case you want to have the backup camera powered only when backing up, the yellow wire from the 7 pin (big center conductor) is hot when the vehicle is in reverse. It's terminated in the 7 pin junction box at the front of the trailer. Easy to find in the JB - it's the only wire from the TV that has no connection to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Wiring.jpg   Breakout Box.jpg  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I look at quality a different way. After owning 4 new Escapes I can honestly say there were less than 1/2 dozen issues in all 4 trailers, combined total. I guess some options you need to be specific for the install and if you did not specify then there not be any complaints. Simple. Some have warranty issues out of the 2 years period, yet Escape provides the parts, that certainly is good customer service. Let's not forget the road trip Reace made to service maybe 2 dozen trailers, I'm not aware of any other manufacturer coming near that effort. Escape will even provide parts for a trailer that has been sold to another owner, although the warranty only applies to the original owner, that certainly is good customer service. Finally there was the refrigerator debacle where Reace went to bat for the owners and had Dometic provide a new refrigerator and installation. All of these examples are what makes Escape what they are, a custom, customer oriented trailer manufacturer. Those with one or two issues with a new Escape need to put things in perspective rather than implying otherwise.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Rear view camera DIY

For those interested in installing a rear view camera, it is not very difficult. I got a RV Systems wireless camera from Costco and mounted on the bumper. I did not want and more holes in the trailer.

The cable from the camera goes in through the battery vent tube, and up the inside of the corner behind that vinyl bit, then into the overhead cabinet were power is available. The transmitter is mounted on the outside of the cabinet. Easy peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_b62.jpg  
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I look at quality a different way. After owning 4 new Escapes I can honestly say there were less than 1/2 dozen issues in all 4 trailers, combined total. I guess some options you need to be specific for the install and if you did not specify then there not be any complaints. Simple. Some have warranty issues out of the 2 years period, yet Escape provides the parts, that certainly is good customer service. Let's not forget the road trip Reace made to service maybe 2 dozen trailers, I'm not aware of any other manufacturer coming near that effort. Escape will even provide parts for a trailer that has been sold to another owner, although the warranty only applies to the original owner, that certainly is good customer service. Finally there was the refrigerator debacle where Reace went to bat for the owners and had Dometic provide a new refrigerator and installation. All of these examples are what makes Escape what they are, a custom, customer oriented trailer manufacturer. Those with one or two issues with a new Escape need to put things in perspective rather than implying otherwise.
Jim, that's great that Reace has always looked out for the owners. Here's the catch - Reace isn't there anymore.

The question is - Is the new management going to provide the same customer service Reace did?

When customer service thumbs their nose at you like they sometimes have in the past, Reace isn't there now to bail them out with a solution. Do we now try to bypass them and go to Karl?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
In case you want to have the backup camera powered when backing up, the yellow wire from the 7 pin (big center conductor) is hot when the vehicle is in reverse. It's terminated in the 7 pin junction box at the front of the trailer. Easy to find - it's the only wire from the TV that has no connection to the trailer.
Hi Tom . The Voyager is wireless but it needs to be wired into the lights up at top . There was wiring Escape did but to install a new Voyager camera I had to find the plug under the vinyl . That is where I cut vinyl . The end of wiring wherever they put it has a plug . Then the camera has a plug to plug to. Talking to Asa and RV dealer repair because I don’t know where all the wire goes to cut in the wire and install lighted on and off switch so I can cut the power to the camera when not needed. The monitor has a switch on it and a 12 volt power plug . No problem there . The camera replacement would of cost so much and not sure if something else was damaged , just replaced with another Voyager that didn’t cost as much as the first .
Everything works as supposed to as long as I inside trailer lighted switch is on even in reverse . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
4815DA49-1E8C-4795-9D34-10864355A3B1.jpg   6994CA4C-2D43-4B9C-81D9-BC2AB262E36A.jpg  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Donna disappointed that wiring backup camera ‘s hasn’t changed ? .....Donna this last sentence does not apply to you at all .
Pat
Thanks for that. I don't have any cameras installed. Just asking questions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Hi Tom . The Voyager is wireless but it needs to be wired into the lights up at top . There was wiring Escape did but to install a new Voyager camera I had to find the plug under the vinyl . That is where I cut vinyl . The end of wiring wherever they put it has a plug . Then the camera has a plug to plug to. Talking to Asa and RV dealer repair because I don’t know where all the wire goes to cut in the wire and install lighted on and off switch so I can cut the power to the camera when not needed. The monitor has a switch on it and a 12 volt power plug . No problem there . The camera replacement would of cost so much and not sure if something else was damaged , just replaced with another Voyager that didn’t cost as much as the first .
Everything works as supposed to as long as I inside trailer lighted switch is on even in reverse . Pat
Tom the switch is in cabinet over the 19 bed . Tom will print out your picture and try to understand but everything is working now as it should . What happened with camera not being wired right burned out the camera being on 24 hr. Got the instructions from ASA electronics because they were left with Tammy at factory and it shows how to wire . Guess someone didn’t read the instructions .
Thankyou again Tom ! Pat
Old 08-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I chose our Escape 19 for many reasons, one being the quality and room compared to other molded FG trailers in the price range at the time. Escape and Reace n Tammy have always been very good in my dealings with them and I've been satisfied with both the trailer and service. However, I can do most any repairs on a molded glass trailer while some can't which would make a difference in how it would be viewed.
Yes Reace did go above and beyond the norm on his road trip to repair the HW line in the 21's that had been released. However, let's not forget that was due to a really bad error on ETI's part of putting non HW rated supply line on the hot water side in the 21 bathroom and then releasing dozens of 21's into the wild with that major mistake not realized until they started bursting. So, Reace gets kudos for taking care of it, but whomever at ETI was responsible for that mistake needs to be put in the corner with their nose to the wall.
I too join the chorus of hoping that Karl and company moving forward continue improving the wiring standards. The wiring in my 2015 19 is light years ahead of our previous 2005 17, but still needs improvement and would bring the product up another level.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks for that. I don't have any cameras installed. Just asking questions.
I know Donna but I didn’t want you to think I was upset with you . It just was a response to thread . Pat
Old 08-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have a list of factory defects with my Escape that is over two pages long (26 items)

You bought a USED trailer. Correct?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In case you want to have the backup camera powered only when backing up, the yellow wire from the 7 pin (big center conductor) is hot when the vehicle is in reverse. It's terminated in the 7 pin junction box at the front of the trailer. Easy to find in the JB - it's the only wire from the TV that has no connection to the trailer.
Tom - As usual thanks for posting this. Your wiring diagrams/posts provide a wealth of info. They would be more useful if I could fully grasp/follow them but that is on me.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Jim, that's great that Reace has always looked out for the owners. Here's the catch - Reace isn't there anymore.

The question is - Is the new management going to provide the same customer service Reace did?

When customer service thumbs their nose at you like they sometimes have in the past, Reace isn't there now to bail them out with a solution. Do we now try to bypass them and go to Karl?
I'm aware of that Tom, the complaints in this thread are with older Escapes, when R&T were there. To my knowledge current owners, including myself have not noticed any change in customer service.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #36

Trailer: TBD
I don't think a company's work ethic and commitment to a quality product suddenly disappear overnight. This post mortem is several years early.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Tom - As usual thanks for posting this. Your wiring diagrams/posts provide a wealth of info. They would be more useful if I could fully grasp/follow them but that is on me.
No, the fault is usually mine. The skill to be a good tech writer is to be able to explain the most complicated subjects in a way that anyone would be able to understand them.

I'm obviously not a tech writer!
Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Yes Reace did go above and beyond the norm on his road trip to repair the HW line in the 21's that had been released. However, let's not forget that was due to a really bad error on ETI's part of putting non HW rated supply line on the hot water side in the 21 bathroom and then releasing dozens of 21's into the wild with that major mistake not realized until they started bursting. So, Reace gets kudos for taking care of it, but whomever at ETI was responsible for that mistake needs to be put in the corner with their nose to the wall.
I'm fairly sure that I had the first HW line failure to be repaired. Reace and I worked on fixing it at the 2017 Escape rally and when I mentioned to him that the HW tubing used wasn't rated for hot water, he said that he was the one that made that choice to use it.

So I guess Reace put his own nose in the corner by taking the road trip.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #39

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Quote:

What tif Texas says is what I was referring to when I started this thread. My thread started out as Quality of Escape post Tammy and Reace retirement—unfortunately a moderator cut the heading down to only Quality of Escape—undercutting my original intent on what people with new rigs and warranty issues have run into since Reace and Tammy left as of June 1.
Reace and Tammy are gone—shouldn’t new buyers and those rigs still on warranty expect the same service with the new management? Or do we need to lower our expectations on what constitutes quality and service looking forward?
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
To my knowledge current owners, including myself have not noticed any change in customer service.
I sent an email to Escape on Monday about a problem and received an answer 21 minutes later. So far so good!
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote