Quality of Escape - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
So out of curiosity has anyone taken their trailer back to ETI and once they inspected the problem been denied a warranty repair?
Old 08-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
New ownership will have no effect on production of new existing models.

I don't know how to say it gently, so I'll just say it: That is patently absurd. IMHO.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreeves View Post
I don't know how to say it gently, so I'll just say it: That is patently absurd. IMHO.
Yes, I am just an absurd idiot. I know nothing about Escapes. You have studied my contributions over the last 11 years here well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0ta
All, my response was/is to the original post which I understood to be questioning the quality AND current WARRANTY issues for people who own trailers currently under warranty.
As an owner of a 2018 5.0TA UNDER WARRANTY and just recently denied a very reasonable replacement part for a VERY UNREASONABLE FLAW IN WORKMANSHIP, I felt I would express my experience. It is MY experience and My view, if others cannot accept it or want to distort it with all sorts of other facts etc. too bad.
I agree with everyone here that the ESCAPE is a beautiful camper, it has less flaws than possibly all others, but that’s not the point of this thread. THEIR WARRANTY SERVICE HAS NO VALUE TO ME!!!!
GET IT!! They would not stand behind the most blatantly stupid item I could even imagine. All I wanted was for them to give me a new cable to fix it myself with. They refused and offered me a piece of wire. Gee-wiz everybody, I DONT KNOW THE OWNERS of escape, what if it would have been something even more expensive to stand behind?
Dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Keep it simple

We’re likely going to order a new 19’ and the only options we’ll be getting are AC and the stove.

I can add or build anything myself.

Anything else just adds to problems down the road, more stuff to fiddle with and fix.
Options just add to the cost, weight, and problems. I’ll take the small fridge as I still take a cooler for the times the fridge dies. Every trailer I have had has had fridge issues. Not the trailer manufacturer, Dometic, Ughhh

Even a $600,000 Class A coach has problems, Adjust your expectations. My 17B was the best trailer out of the 6 I owned, except the fridge.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
We’re likely going to order a new 19’ and the only options we’ll be getting are AC and the stove.

I can add or build anything myself.

Anything else just adds to problems down the road, more stuff to fiddle with and fix.
Options just add to the cost, weight, and problems. I’ll take the small fridge as I still take a cooler for the times the fridge dies. Every trailer I have had has had fridge issues. Not the trailer manufacturer, Dometic, Ughhh

Even a $600,000 Class A coach has problems, Adjust your expectations. My 17B was the best trailer out of the 6 I owned, except the fridge.
The new Americana fridges actually do work fairly well. Nothings perfect but I haven't had any problems with mine.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave58 View Post
All I wanted was for them to give me a new cable to fix it myself with. They refused and offered me a piece of wire.

Cable - an insulated wire or wires having a protective casing and used for transmitting electricity or telecommunication signals

Wire - metal drawn out into the form of a thin flexible thread or rod

Maybe we just have a failure to communicate.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The new Americana fridges actually do work fairly well. Nothings perfect but I haven't had any problems with mine.
The Americana series is old, but new to Escape (used since the body change in 2016 included a wider door, allowing these wider models). My motorhome has been used for very long periods, and has gone through three of these things. Mine is particularly bad, because it is the version with no adjustable thermostat, so it regularly freezes stuff in the fresh food section... except when it is failing to work entirely . Still, in the adjustable version used by Escape, it is likely the best of the Domestics and might be among the best RV absorption refrigerators available (which is why Escape worked to be able to use it).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #49

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
EDIT: When I contacted Escape for our 5.0 I was under the impression there was a wire going from the camera to the front of the camper where the WiFi sender was located. It turns out I was wrong, but there is a complex cable going to the camera for power? If so, their system is overly complex, and at $510 too expensive. YMMV. I've edited this post.

OK, why is Escape installing a complex wire for power? The only thing needed is a simple power line to a cheap WiFi camera mounted in the back of the camper. Most of us have batteries/electronics in the back to make it easy to hook to power. Many sports cameras include a 12v cigarette plug for power. You can then use your phone or a cheap tablet to view whats in back. KISS!

A member of our condo has trouble with rear view mirrors. She has a $24 camera on the back of her pedal trike and her iPhone mounted on the front so she can see what's behind her. I tried her camera with our 5.0 and it works perfectly. I liked the Dragon Touch Vision 4 for it's price and that it got 4 1/2 stars on Amazon with over 1,900 reviews.

Escape gets $510 for their wired backup camera. You can easily install a system for under $200 and have a tablet to use.

With our new premature grandson, and installing storage on the top step of our 5.0, I just didn't have time, so I'll be ordering and installing a backup camera when we get back from our current Ohio/Maine trip.

Complex, dedicated, wired electronics like what Escape installs are a thing of the past.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You and I see things differently and neither one of us is going to change .
Whether you or I have the correct view does nothing to solve the problem for the individual with the defective / improperly installed camera .
I have a list of factory defects with my Escape that is over two pages long (26 items) and I have personally repaired over 80% of them so far
It’s not that I can’t repair / fix the issues but that I would rather spend my time camping than working on my trailer . Every time I head out on a trip with our Escape in the back of my mind I wonder what will fail next . Dependability is an important trait in human beings and manufactured goods in my book
I wish I had a simple solution to fix the camera problem but I don’t !
I just posted on what should be installed for a backup camera.

Did it ever occur to you the previous owner might have sold the camper because he created your problems? I have a friend who as soon as he gets something starts messing with it. Something is always in turmoil and the problems mount. After some time and frustration, he sells the item and, of course, never informs the buyer of any problems.

OTOH, his wife will not let him fix or improve anything in their home. Smart woman!

You purchased a used camper and obviously did not use due diligence. You seem to enjoy constantly bragging about your Escape problem, while I just fix mine, move on, and enjoy camping. Glass half full or half empty?

Perry
Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0ta
The camera is of course wireless, but it requires a very simple power wire(+/-) to give it the energy to work(transmit). And when the six foot power wire in the wall has THREE wire connections in each of the two conductors(wire piercing gizmo, solderless butt connector and one proper weatherproof twist lock plug connector) it is just upsetting. Especially when it is the impossible to access weatherproof plug connection that fails to conduct electrons from one end to the other end.
Dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave58 View Post
The camera is of course wireless, but it requires a very simple power wire(+/-) to give it the energy to work(transmit). And when the six foot power wire in the wall has THREE wire connections in each of the two conductors(wire piercing gizmo, solderless butt connector and one proper weatherproof twist lock plug connector) it is just upsetting. Especially when it is the impossible to access weatherproof plug connection that fails to conduct electrons from one end to the other end.
I'm sorry, but I thought there was a wire to the front of the camper where the wireless sender was located. That's the reason for my post, because that would be still be a wired to wireless system. So you only need a wire for power not to a wireless sender?

The camera I'm talking about would have a simple power wire to the camera avoiding what you have and no need to run the wire underneath any headliner. The power wire plugs into a 12v cigarette plug. I installed my Victron BMS running the wire behind the headliner in the corner. I could change wires in a heartbeat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I depend upon the camera Chevy added to my Silverado tailgate but I think adding a camera to the back of a trailer is just nuts.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
While we haven’t felt a need for a backup camera, this recently caught my eye: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Wirele...ustomerReviews

When it comes time to replace our Garmin Nuvi, I plan on mounting the camera underneath the back cabinet with Velcro. We have gotten blocked-in, a couple of times in small parking lots. Might make life a little easier. Scott

Fatbike season is coming!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #55

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I depend upon the camera Chevy added to my Silverado tailgate
Have a Tundra w/tonneau cover; no back-up camera.
Doing hitching-up of trailers (usually on my own), I often make more than a few getting-out-and-checking-on-things pauses.
So, considering adding after-market back-up camera to pick-up. Ideas/recommendations?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I depend upon the camera Chevy added to my Silverado tailgate but I think adding a camera to the back of a trailer is just nuts.
If you need to see directly behind the truck, why do you think it's "nuts" to want to see directly behind the trailer? Do you use the truck's camera only for hitching up?

I'll also note that the desire for rearward vision has nothing to do with the thread topic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Find the backup camera very useful . Also love to see behind when changing lanes . Also use truck mirrors . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #58

No question a back up camera on the tow tailgate makes lining up the hitch a lot quicker when backing up. Mine is not an add-on - came standard on the truck so I really can't offer any recommendations. Maybe if a dealer can install one for you -speak with a Toyota dealer about it?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #59

"...why do you think it's "nuts" to want to see directly behind the trailer?"

Guess because it seems to me like an expensive hassle not worth the bother. I have thought, though, about adding a flashing red sign on the trailer back window warning, "Back off!"
Old 08-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use this wireless backup camera for hooking up. It has a magnetic base so I had to glue a metal disc to my tire cover. Most of the back of my RAV is plastic. It has a rather narrow view so I don't think it's suitable for watching your behind.

Swift Hitch is available on etrailer.com
Not sure what it costs now and there are similar products for less.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Hitch.png