Quality of Escape - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I believe my eti rear view camera is worth its price. I use it all the time, and with my regular mirrors added I can see everything to the sides and behind me.

If I have to jettison something to have it, I can leave my beer opener. That’s why God made teeth. Right?
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Swiss Army knife, or Girl Scout knife with bottle opener. Sacrilege, I don’t think so.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #103

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I have one that I've had for close to forty years that I bought in Switzerland and I cannot see how a well made useful multifunction device should not be used to open a simple bottle regardless of contents
Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #104

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_588a.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	41512

Ours, made from bicycle components after I had a dream about how to make it.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #105

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I bought a Costco wireless camera that’s magnetic and pop it on the bumper when I’m alone at a campsite. I also use it to see my wheels while backing up on leveling blocks. It’s not real reliable as it was cheap and one has to adjust the monitor receiver at times to get a clean signal. I’m a big fan of tech to be safe and assist in trailer life. I’d buy the pro trailer backup assist f150 if I could afford one. Maybe next year.
Good tools are nice. I use a power tongue and low power drill to use my levelers. Life is good with tools. Gives me more time to play fiddle.

By the way the liberal state post was lame, no politics allowed on this forum is what I’ve been led to believe.
Just my two cents
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #106

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
We have taken possession of our 19, last june 19th on 2019. Second TT. The first on was a Aliner that was at the end on it life after many good adventure and 3 sets of tire.

No warranty claim yet and we did camp for 52 days with it during our 8 753 km trip.

After a few modification at home, we are looking to take it to a hunting trip in late november and back to Florida in december.

In brief, only good word for Escape and their service. During our bild sheet the air conditioning was somehow lost. As for consequence that it was built without. A Email an a phone call later, Escape manage to have it installed before delivery. We had a good experience with ETI.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #107

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Scott, that's amazing! Some dream.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #108

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I want to add my recent experience. We took delivery of a 5.0 in late August. The unit was built in late June. We previously owned a 2015 19’ so I have something to compare re: quality and customer service.

The new 5.0 is equal in every way to our 19. The fit and quality of build is excellent. The only problem has been a leaking bath faucet. I contacted Escape Parts and Service and got a reply within a day. They said they got a bad batch and will ship a new tested faucet to us. I got the shipping notice today. I expect the faucet will be at home when we arrive next week.

I will add I had a few additional questions that Dustin (Parts and Service) answered the same day.

Overall the quality of this unit, customer service and delivery service after the ownership change was equal to if not better than our experience in 2015. I’m confident Escape is in good hands going forward.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's my first blush impression also. The first item that I noticed that I could definitely say was better than my 2014 19 was any wiring visible near the converter. Much neater and professional looking.

I haven't opened any hidden spaces yet but my first impressions are good.

I still remember looking in the closet of my Scamp 13 and seeing this mass of wires on the floor with a bunch of wire nuts. Right where someone was likely to set down items on top of them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #110

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's my first blush impression also. The first item that I noticed that I could definitely say was better than my 2014 19 was any wiring visible near the converter. Much neater and professional looking.

I haven't opened any hidden spaces yet but my first impressions are good.

I still remember looking in the closet of my Scamp 13 and seeing this mass of wires on the floor with a bunch of wire nuts. Right where someone was likely to set down items on top of them.

Ron
When I first saw the wiring going into the electrical distribution box I had to call my brother and my nephew over to witness what I had just found. I have never seen a more beautiful display of wiring in any application be it auto or airplane.

Oh Ron Update. I did open a "hidden space" . The area where you can access the black tank and the driver side landing gear. It was a mess. Lots of sawdust and other debris but nothing that would cause a problem.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #111

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
When I first saw the wiring going into the electrical distribution box I had to call my brother and my nephew over to witness what I had just found. I have never seen a more beautiful display of wiring in any application be it auto or airplane.
My impression also on my new 21. Tightly wrapped, squared off angles. Quality crimps. Good job all around.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #112

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
The only “quality issue” I found on our 21 was underneath the trailer by the drivers side tires. Found wires coming out of the crimps. Took pictures and sent them to Dave in service. One might ck their crimps as they go to the brakes. We researched for 3 yrs before selecting An Escape trailer. Their quality and support have been fantastic so far. Money well spent.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #113

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
The only “quality issue” I found on our 21 was underneath the trailer by the drivers side tires. Found wires coming out of the crimps. Took pictures and sent them to Dave in service. One might ck their crimps as they go to the brakes. We researched for 3 yrs before selecting An Escape trailer. Their quality and support have been fantastic so far. Money well spent.
Crimp, Solder, Heat shrink!
Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #114

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That was one negative that I had on my previous 19. I haven't had time yet to crawl under my new 21 and examine the wiring etc. I expect that I'll be installing a buss wire that picks up the brake grounds etc. as I don't like important items relying on grounds screwed to the frame where corrosion can occur.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #115

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Audio more help than video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Find the backup camera very useful . Also love to see behind when changing lanes . Also use truck mirrors . Pat
My wife and I find that the microphone on the backup camera actually serves us very well. No more shouting to be heard throughout the campground, or hunting for batteries because the walkie talkies are dead again!
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #116

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Exactly !!!!!!!!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #117

Trailer: Escape 21
Rear trailer camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndad View Post
My wife and I find that the microphone on the backup camera actually serves us very well. No more shouting to be heard throughout the campground, or hunting for batteries because the walkie talkies are dead again!
That’s it. Especially when checking rear lights prior to taking off. I can clearly hear the wife calling out the functioning of our lights. She can’t hear me though. Haha
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Please don't take what I have to say the wrong way. If someone wishes to use a rear view camera on their trailer, then go ahead and do it.

Not everyone does this, but many infer to some degree that for safety reasons you need to use one. This is just not true. For many years now people pulling trailers have done so very safely before these cameras came on the market.

I have reversed trailers of all sizes a few tens of thousand times, and 95% of the time I did it alone. I have never had a single accident doing so.

I do realize that many have not towed and reversed very much in their life, this is reality. Good practise will help a lot.

I mostly check the trailer lights myself. Turn on the headlights and hit the emergency flashers, then go to the rear to make sure all is working fine. If I do use my wife's help I just get her to point left or right for signal lights, and a thumbs up for tail and marker lights.

For reversing, when I have used assistance, using proper hand signals works just great, and in fact better than trying to convey something verbally. Generally, I get out and have a look at things if it looks a bit tricky, make a plan, and just do it. A marker beside where you want the tires to rest works fantastic.

On the last long weekend I checked vehicles travelling behind me using my mirrors. A Honda Civic was close on my tail and I could see both sides of his car with my mirrors when going straight and often just one side on curves. I also constantly keep track of traffic around me and know where all vehicles are. There is no need for me to need to use a backup camera to see vehicles.

For passing the mirrors work great to let you know when you are well past the vehicle you are overtaking, though I likely only pass a couple times a day usually.

So by all means use a backup camera if you wish, but I would suggest that folks also work at using standard procedure too for when you might need it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #119

Trailer: Escape 21
Jim, I operate much like you.

Mostly, I use my old-fashioned mirrors, and sometimes, my rear trailer camera from ETI. For me, it only offers a minor degree of help as a “backup” camera. Neither does it offer a definitive view for driving, checking lanes, and backing into the slot. The opposing view from the mirrors, also take some getting used to.

While some truck’s have a better view with their regular mirrors, my narrow-view RAM mirrors are helped by adding the clip-on extension trailer mirrors. There was a discussion of mirrors a few threads ago. Also, of cameras. Both haters and lovers.

For backing up, I adjust the narrow-regular mirror, down slightly, so I can see the wheels of my vehicles, whilst the wide angle, extension mirrors stay in the regular place for general use.

If there are hookups, I’ll probably get out to look for the sewer, water faucet, and electric box. I’ll walk around to see if the passenger side has a raised pad to accommodate my door steps. Then I get back in, and park my trailer, mostly without using my camera, except for watching kids, critters, and other proximity aberrations. I really like seeing the different view.

But I have better luck doing it by myself. However, if my wife wants to spot me, I prefer seeing and hearing her, from the back of the trailer. The microphone lets her use her indoor voice. Plus, I can easily see what she’s pointing at—-if I use my backup camera. It’s fun, and I like it. She likes it too.

We don’t have to scream.

That’s priceless.
Rrgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #120

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I have reversed trailers of all sizes a few tens of thousand times, and 95% of the time I did it alone. I have never had a single accident doing so.
Jim that repair on the front of your Escape, how did that happen again?

Regarding seeing traffic behind, yes I find having the backup camera doesn't really help and I hate the big screen, sometimes (if I remember to take it) I'll use it for backing into a spot with the screen sitting in my lap or on the arm rest. Having learned to drive standard on a five ton truck and backing into downtown Toronto alleys, I use my mirrors constantly and even forget the truck back-up camera when not towing.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote