Quality of Escape - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndad View Post
My wife and I find that the microphone on the backup camera actually serves us very well. No more shouting to be heard throughout the campground, or hunting for batteries because the walkie talkies are dead again!
Yes I can hear her besides see her !Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
That’s it. Especially when checking rear lights prior to taking off. I can clearly hear the wife calling out the functioning of our lights. She can’t hear me though. Haha
Pat
Each to their own . I love the backup camera and find it very useful . Pat
Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That was one negative that I had on my previous 19. I haven't had time yet to crawl under my new 21 and examine the wiring etc. I expect that I'll be installing a buss wire that picks up the brake grounds etc. as I don't like important items relying on grounds screwed to the frame where corrosion can occur.

Ron
Ron please document when you get to this . Ours is still like the day we picked up . Probably because our weather is drier no problems yet but I want to be prepared and improve if I can . Pat
Old 09-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #124

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron please document when you get to this . Pat
No worries there, I document everything.

On my 19 I ran a large negative buss wire that picked up the brake grounds as well as other grounds that were screwed to the frame. So I'll likely be doing the same on the 21 unless has changed their ways.

So far I've seen one thing that they've changed. What drove me nuts on the 19 was seeing the ground wire leave the battery and go down and be screwed to the frame. Then 18" away the ground from the panel came down and screwed to the frame. Each attachment point has the potential (no pun) to corrode, develop corrosion and create a poor ground situation.

I'm happy to see that the ground on my 21 first leads directly to a negative terminal on the back of the panel.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #125

Quote:

On my 19 I ran a large negative buss wire that picked up the brake grounds as well as other grounds that were screwed to the frame. So I'll likely be doing the same on the 21 unless has changed their ways.

So far I've seen one thing that they've changed. What drove me nuts on the 19 was seeing the ground wire leave the battery and go down and be screwed to the frame. Then 18" away the ground from the panel came down and screwed to the frame. Each attachment point has the potential (no pun) to corrode, develop corrosion and create a poor ground situation.

I'm happy to see that the ground on my 21 first leads directly to a negative terminal on the back of the panel.

Ron
Good Ron ! Don’t forget I am good with pictures but not understanding electrical not so much . Pat
Old 09-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #126

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Ron
The frame ground connections I have found so far on the 21 are the 7 pin junction box negative to frame and the converter negative bus to the frame.

The 7 pin junction box negative to frame insures a trailer negative connection through the trailer hitch to the TV.

The converter negative bus to the frame is there to meet code requirements.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Jim that repair on the front of your Escape, how did that happen again?
Oh yes, there was that wee ding. I had forgot about that.

Must be that brain trauma I recently went through. LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #128

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Absolutely, there should be a ground to the frame. What I did still left the original grounds in contact with the frame but, for example, my converter ground lug had face to face contact with the battery negative ground lug and the white buss wire went to other grounds, including the brakes. The lugs attached to a common stud threaded into the frame. So much less potential for corrosion to develop between them than indivdual attachment screws attaching each ground to the frame. The complete assembly was then sealed with liquid electrical tape.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
ground stud_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #129

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Still heading home after Orientation and noticed a cut covered up with the boo boo tape (faux tape). The rear panel above the cabinet has been cut (top to bottom) and covered up with the tape. I would think that piece of wood would be one continuous piece. Not sure if others have this too. ETI did give me some extra tape which is a perfect match.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1565.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #130

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Still heading home after Orientation and noticed a cut covered up with the boo boo tape (faux tape). The rear panel above the cabinet has been cut (top to bottom) and covered up with the tape. I would think that piece of wood would be one continuous piece. Not sure if others have this too. ETI did give me some extra tape which is a perfect match.

I noticed the same in a couple of spots on our 5.0.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #131

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
If it is in a place longer than 4 ft, it will have a splice joint. The tape is cleaner than a piece of trim covering the joint
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #132

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I've noticed a number of places where boo boo tape was used. It does match fairly well as you have to really look to see it.

All's good though as I have used the tape myself in several places since. Kinda like that first scratch on a new car - it doesn't bother you as much when another one appears. Escape just gets that "first scratch" problem taken care of for you right from the start.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #133

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
If it is in a place longer than 4 ft, it will have a splice joint. The tape is cleaner than a piece of trim covering the joint
I appreciate jumboscott's post on this, as I too discovered tape. But I believe you are right, after a while came to the conclusion that it was in locations where a splice was necessary.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #134

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought splices were used in wiring and joints used in wood, or woods if not legal...
Old 10-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #135

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought splices were used in wiring and joints used in wood, or woods if not legal...
I think to be technically correct we should have called it a "Butt Joint"

A butt joint is a technique in which two pieces of material are joined by simply placing their ends together without any special shaping. The name 'butt joint' comes from the way the material is joined together.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #136

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought splices were used in wiring and joints used in wood...
According to Merriam-Webster, there would need to be overlap at the joint for the term to apply to a joint between two pieces of wood, but then it would be correct. Cambridge and Collins do not require the overlap for the term to be appropriate in this case.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #137

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I think to be technically correct we should have called it a "Butt Joint"

A butt joint is a technique in which two pieces of material are joined by simply placing their ends together without any special shaping. The name 'butt joint' comes from the way the material is joined together.
Can't remember the last time I did a 'Butt Joint'
Old 10-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #138

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Can't remember the last time I did a 'Butt Joint'
Hi: 75thRanger... Butt, butt, butt!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #139

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0ta
Well in reference to my original post/subject, I now have my rear camera working again. I had to slice and peel back the headliner to install a new power cable(FREE FROM RV SYSTEMS) in a proper way with the beautiful weather-proof cable connector on the outside of the shell. Now when Escape tells me to remove the camera from my new camper and send it back to RV SYSTEMS I won’t have to take a side-cutter to the power cable and improvise for re-connection.
And to all those thruout this post who just could not understand my choice to have a rear camera, go rip the rear view mirror s out of all your cars and rely solely on your side mirrors. Then come back and tell me if you miss the rear view it provided.
Which is exactly what a high mounted rear camera is, a rear view mirror.
Dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave58 View Post
Well in reference to my original post/subject, I now have my rear camera working again. I had to slice and peel back the headliner to install a new power cable(FREE FROM RV SYSTEMS) in a proper way with the beautiful weather-proof cable connector on the outside of the shell. Now when Escape tells me to remove the camera from my new camper and send it back to RV SYSTEMS I won’t have to take a side-cutter to the power cable and improvise for re-connection.
And to all those thruout this post who just could not understand my choice to have a rear camera, go rip the rear view mirror s out of all your cars and rely solely on your side mirrors. Then come back and tell me if you miss the rear view it provided.
Which is exactly what a high mounted rear camera is, a rear view mirror.
Glad you got yours fixed . They are invaluable in my humble opinion! At least you didn’t have your camera burn out from incorrect installation like ours was . Ours was the Voyager and camera replacement was too expensive so had to replace the whole system and just sold the monitor for 50.00 Pat