Quartzsite RV Show - gonna do it! Tips? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quartzsite RV Show - gonna do it! Tips?

The Jankes and Tischers are going to take a walk on the wild side and go to the RV Show before our rally at Dome Rock.

I've leaped plenty of tall buildings with a single bound but I'm intimidated as heck by the thought of taking this thing on. Any ideas about where to setup to be in the action? Who can I count on to make bail for us if things go south How walkable are the exhibits and the big top?

Could be open to a "pre-rally rally", the Jankes are getting there 1-19 or 1-20 before things get rolling on 1-22 and staying 5 or 6 days then heading back for the rally. Tischers are coming out after a few days, somehow I'm pretty sure the vendors won't run out of kettle Korn, tri tip or chili dogs by then.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
_DSF1353kk_Small.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
The Jankes and Tischers are going to take a walk on the wild side and go to the RV Show before our rally at Dome Rock.

I've leaped plenty of tall buildings with a single bound but I'm intimidated as heck by the thought of taking this thing on. Any ideas about where to setup to be in the action? Who can I count on to make bail for us if things go south How walkable are the exhibits and the big top?

Could be open to a "pre-rally rally", the Jankes are getting there 1-19 or 1-20 before things get rolling on 1-22 and staying 5 or 6 days then heading back for the rally. Tischers are coming out after a few days, somehow I'm pretty sure the vendors won't run out of kettle Korn, tri tip or chili dogs by then.

Greg
Your a brave man Greg! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:15 AM   #3

Quote:

Greg

Ok Gregg, get your best walking shoes on. I've been there 3x. Get there first thing in the morning. It gets packed quick. If you have a thing about crowd, slow walkers, people with dogs on a leash in a narrow aisle, be prepared. When it starts to get crowded, it won't get better. I usually try to take a spin around the tent noting things I want to look and come back to later. If it isn't to crowded by the time I make the first pass, I start looking in earnest. If it's too frustrating, leave and come back first thing next morning. The flea markets on the main drag are fun. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a chair or woven outdoor carpet. There isn't really alot in town, and the traffic is terrible. But, it is an experience. I'll be on my way to Lake Pleasant, AZ and might stop by for a day. It's about all I can take. Have fun.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Do step carefully. It's gray and comes in Quartz.
Attached Thumbnails
Qtz152.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Do step carefully. It's gray and comes in Quartz.
Howdy, Myron. Ha! We're going, just debating how long we can endure. It's a bucket list thing but Alice reminds me why we camp: to escape crowds and traffic so a few days might be sufficient.

What are you up to this winter? Breathlessly awaiting one of your "travelogues".
Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

Been laying low since Thanksgiving dinner at the South Rim, Grand Canyon.

(aside: We've been at that road to the North Rim when it was closed for winter and cannot understand how that in-the-news recently rescued family managed to get themselves in such stupid trouble. Guess they thought signs were only for other people. I can relate.)

1.)Training new dog Josie has been a handful; 2.)dishwasher just died and will be installing its replacement today; 3.)will stick on the trailer outside escape window an analog Camco thermometer with Gorilla glue so I can tell how hot or cold it is out there.

Expect to park it down with everybody else at Quartzsite this year. Pondering a quick dash down to Yuma and maaay-bee a run across the border, just so I can say I done it.
Attached Thumbnails
Qtz085.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Expect to park it down with everybody else at Quartzsite this year. Pondering a quick dash down to Yuma and maaay-bee a run across the border, just so I can say I done it.
Well, heck, if you're going to do that you may as well as whip across Hwy. 2 to Tecate than down to Ensenada and on to Mulege. Only 2-3 days to get to Paradise, at least what passes for Paradise to a person fed up with snow, rain and cold.

We made the same comment about the North Rim incident. But stupidity knows no bounds, we have a local mountain that it now looks like will have 3 bodies to be found when the snow melts in the Spring. Weekend after weekend our SAR guys are out risking their lives because of those who thought that the "out of bounds" signs only applied to others.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm currently in Quartzsite in the La Posa West Long Term Visitor Area. It is the closest you can get to the "Big Tent" unless you are in a nearby RV park (which will be booked solid). This will be the third year I've attended the "Big Tent" show. The show is mostly RV related, but many of the booths in the tent are typical state fair stuff. If you really want to see everything, it is going to take a couple of mornings. By the afternoon, it is so busy that you may get dragged by the booth you want by the crowd.

The first time I drove down to the show from Parker, AZ. I don't recommend that approach - parking is a zoo, and the roads are backed up bad enough that it can take over 1/2 hour to drive through town. If at all possible, camp within walking distance, or plan on spending 45 minutes getting a space. There are paid parking areas that might be easier to get to, particularly if you arrive early.

Last year I was set up in La Posa West for most of the winter, with about a 1/4 mile walk to the tent. While early mornings were quiet, the tent got packed by noon, and stayed that way the rest of the day. Evenings were not much better.

The LTVAs are $40.00 for 2 weeks or $180.00 for 7 months and give you a piece of the desert, access to dumpsters, a dump station & water. There are 4 areas in Quartzsite, and 5 more in AZ & CA that can be accessed with the same pass. If you stay in one of the LTVAs other than La Posa West, you can drive to La Posa, find an empty part of the desert & park your vehicle (You need an access sticker on your vehicle). There is a wash between the camping area & the parking for the tent that has a couple of paths you can walk through.

I'm not sure why I'm going back for the 3rd time, but it always seems like there is something you need, and you are likely to find it there. Of course, the problem is there will also be all kinds of things you don't need (until you see them). Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon,
As always take some pictures for those of us who are not attending, thanks.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I
By the afternoon, it is so busy that you may get dragged by the booth you want by the crowd.
Sounds like Boxing Day sales.

Some useful info in your post, thanks.

Ron
Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Duke and I will be there for our 10th year straight. Yes it is crowded and traffic is insane, but something about Quartzite draws us back every year. We dry camp the whole time on BLM land at no cost.
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD & 2 handmade teardrops
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypass View Post
Duke and I will be there for our 10th year straight. Yes it is crowded and traffic is insane, but something about Quartzite draws us back every year. We dry camp the whole time on BLM land at no cost.
...if I ask niicely...how much to dump(and where) and how much does potable water cost...please............
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

There's a place in town set up for just that situation. You can fill up with gas, propane, water and dump the tanks. Costs are reasonable.

Ron
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD & 2 handmade teardrops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's a place in town set up for just that situation. You can fill up with gas, propane, water and dump the tanks. Costs are reasonable.

Ron
...thanks Ron, Q'site is still a bucket list thing with me...it is still nice to know these things for a bit of vicarious living...................
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
3.)will stick on the trailer outside escape window an analog Camco thermometer with Gorilla glue so I can tell how hot or cold it is out there.
We use a thermometer hanging from a suction-cup. It's kind of a pain to put it up and take it down each campsite, but it allows different locations. It can be up in the shade no matter which way the trailer is facing.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #16

Mine came in a 2-pack, for $9 at a local trailer parts store. Cheaper than Camping World. Each came with four peel-and-stick tabs but when I peeled they didn't stick. Hence, the Gorilla glue. Just to be extra safe I'll also tape it to the outside window.

We can agree, that suction cups suck.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:

Greg
Once upon a time we camped through the Black Rock Desert a week or so after Burning Man. All the people were gone and everything cleaned up, but the vibes were overwhelming. It was suffocating enough we'll never go to Burning Man, as if we had thoughts along this line before. But quite the experience, all that left over energy.

We stayed at Quartzite in late March and April. Same thing, very few people but the energy left over was suffocating. We stayed at one of the LTVA sites south of town. There were many archaeological artifacts to be discovered. Sites marked off with rock boarders and other human leavings. We also stayed at Dome Rock and Plomosa. Both were empty after March, a very good time to go. The only problem is missing the rally.

I suspect that January, when the RV Show is, is the most crowded time to go. We'll avoid this as we do Burning Man. But send a report.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have a groovy time, but-
Attached Thumbnails
austin.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, heck, if you're going to do that you may as well as whip across Hwy. 2 to Tecate than down to Ensenada and on to Mulege. Only 2-3 days to get to Paradise, at least what passes for Paradise to a person fed up with snow, rain and cold.

We made the same comment about the North Rim incident. But stupidity knows no bounds, we have a local mountain that it now looks like will have 3 bodies to be found when the snow melts in the Spring. Weekend after weekend our SAR guys are out risking their lives because of those who thought that the "out of bounds" signs only applied to others.

Ron
Ron, you're a hearty soul! I read a couple days ago the Federales have been pulled off tourist patrols for something else. Tourists are on their own.

Think I'll hang around where I at least can shoot back!
Attached Thumbnails
oldwest_03.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypass View Post
You and the Duke out there with the Texas contingent? Dome Rock? Do interlopers need a Texas Passport to join up? Haven't seen you guys since Chilliwack 2015, good to catch up. Marv and Jackie and the gang coming west, too?

G