Question from the novice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Still can't decide 19 or 21!
Question from the novice

Hi. I am currently a tent camper. In the past I have trailered larger runabouts, but that has been years ago with my husband's help. However as a widow and empty nester-- most of my travels would be solo. I must admit, I am a tad intimidated by the towing. How much more difficult is it to tow a 21 or 19 vs a 17b?

It may seem excessive but I think I would prefer the 21 because of the larger tanks, but worry it may be too big to fit into the national forests or dispersed camping sites I love.

Will the larger escapes fit in most american national forests or BLM sites?

Thank you all in advance for any and all thoughts shared
MeNtheElkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I had just posted on another thread yesterday how much I admire single gals that purchase and tow trailers on their own. I think towing a trailer for the first time for anyone can be a little uncomfortable until they get used to it. As for the length of the trailer, we thought it was the 19 but ended up ordering the 21. I just stood there thinking, what the heck is several more feet to tow around. Anyway, you are in good company on this forum with a lot of other single gals, probably the senior member being Donna D. Just go for it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome to our little Escape world. As far as sizing, some trailer manufacturers do not include the tongue in their numbers, others do. The Escape 21 is 17.5 trailer and the balance is tongue and rear bumper. So even with a 20" site limit you should fit.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Kathy, I'm a solo traveler and could collect Social Security if I wished. I look at life as having choices. My choice could be stay home or GO. No way I'm staying home. Life is getting shorter all the time. Make memories!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

Thank you both! So, consensus is the larger size is negligible with regards to towing or backing in solo?

Cpaharley thanks for the reminder that tongue and bumper are included in size.

--Kathy
Old 08-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Oh Donna I will make memories! I'm just unsure what size to make them in . Although I am leaning more and more to the 21.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Kathy,
Contact Escape, I'm aware of several 21' owners in Tennessee and maybe close for you to view. You do not mention your tow vehicle. Another route is to attend a rally, next month in Niagara Falls, On there will be at least a dozen Escapes, all different sizes. Gives you a good excuse to travel for the weekend.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Kathy, the 21' (shoot all of them) is wonderful. You'll figure out which will work best for you. You really need to see an Escape and do the sit/lay test.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We picked up our Escape 19 in May of 2014. Neither my wife nor I had ever towed before. By our second tow, my wife gave it her first shot on I5. Just 15 minutes the first day and white knuckles. Within a few days, we were sharing the driving. She never back it up, but if it was necessary, she would have learned and done fine. You'll do great - go for it!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Hi Kathy,
We spend most of our time in small campsites on out of the way places. Our Escape 21 fits easily in all but the tent only campsites and is much lighter than the stick trailer we sold last year.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Hey Kathy!

We moved here from the 'Ville a few years ago after 12 wonderful years; GREAT city!! Welcome to the Forum. As you ponder your decision, keep in mind that all three trailers have beds, baths, stoves, and storage (and not a whole lot of difference between the various sized trailers). We "live" outdoors and only use the trailer for its bed, bath, some cooking, and shelter. If I was traveling alone, a 17 with a real mattress in the rear dining area would be my choice. YMMV ... Have fun with your decision!

Rich & Mary
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Kathy, I wouldn't say the size difference is negligible - you'll definitely notice the difference when setting up between a 17 and say a 21. But, there's not really anything difficult towing a longer unit. I'd say get what works best for you - larger or smaller.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Like others have chimed in with, I say if it is something you would like to do, just go for it. With practice you will learn all you need, and the fun you have will be so very wonderful. _

I travelled solo last weekend (my wife is out in Ottawa), and found some of the features of my trailer were broken. The automatic bed maker and cleaner upper was broke, as there was still the same mess in it when I came back to it, as thee was when I left it earlier. Pretty sure the feature worked good when Lisa and I were last out with the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have towed a number of different length trailers, and have found the longer ones easier to back. The shorter are more manoverable, but that makes they a bit more difficult to back any distance in a straight line. With practice, any of the Escapes can be backed into a site.

As to fitting in National Parks and such, I've found that the shorter your trailer the more spaces will be available, however in over 500 campsites I've been in over the last 4 years, I have only found 2 that would not have fit a 21 (as long as you are willing to unhook).

Strangely enough, here at the Oregon campground I'm in for the night there are 3 solo fiberglass trailers parked next to each other; 2 Casitas & my Escape, all with red tow vehicles. Completely unplaned. There is also a 1 week old Escape 19 across the way...
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We had a 17B as our first trailer for 9 months & 100+ nights. Have had the same for the 21 and it is no more difficult- actually is easier to back up with the tandem axles. Getting the right tow rig may require some additional research over what may be claimed here though.

We find it a negligible difference getting into sites we could with the 17, and we like you prefer the campgrounds (tent sites vs. full hookups), and have boondocked with it many times.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Although we have the 19, it is very rare that a site would accommodate a 19 and not a 21. I'm speaking for regularly accessible USFS , NPS, Corps of Engineers, BLM, Bureau of Land Reclamation campgrounds. It would be exceedingly rare that the only site left in a campground would fit a 17 or 19 and not a 21. More likely that the sites left are not as pretty or close to facilities than too short. Just my .02.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Your elkie won't care if it's a 17, 19, or 21...as long as there's a good bed and a view out the window from time to time! And you'll need to be careful with him/her and the screen door.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #18

Thank you all so much! Such a great forum with many helpful people. I apologize for not responding to everyone individually, but I appreciate ALL the responses. It is reassuring to see that if the 19 fits the 21 will more than likely fit.

So, I've eliminated the 17 b and will focus on the 19 or 21 now. I too will do most of my living outside, but bad weather does occasionally happen over the course of a 5 month journey. On those days I think would like the space of the larger escapes more.

Zardoz- the ville is changing with many new exciting developments along the waterfront, the parks and trail and new urbanism bringing people into the downtown area. Great foodie scene too. Glad to see others appreciate the 'ville. Although I am a diehard, bleed blue kentucky fan

Jon- Your blog is very interesting. Great photos as well!

Santacruzer love your avatar! Thanks for the tip on the screen door.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Kathy, for a nice vacation, take a trip to Chilliwack and see all of the trailers and meet Reace and Tammy. We did last September and it was more than worth it. And if they can't answer your questions, who can? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote