Question regarding beds! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We too are very happy with the standard queen in our nineteen, except for when we have to change, tuck in or adjust the fitted sheets. This is a very comfortable mattress. I want my sheets to fit and look tight and smooth at all times. Never happens. Why is that? The process is a wrestling match on a trampoline we always lose.
Attached Thumbnails
BedLonset1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We have a 19 and putting that fitted sheet on the bed can be a real bear. I found myself shaking out the fitted sheet several times between washes and then putting it back on. No matter how clean or tidy one is it does seem beds in a camper can get dirtier faster than would ever happen at home. After pondering this I came upon an idea to help alleviate some of those sheet shakes. I tried using a rolling clothes lint roller like the one used for suits etc. I found that a few quick swipes over the surface of the sheets picked up any fine debris that may have made its way onto the sheets. This just seems to help a little between shakes or washes.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm assuming you want the twin beds to run rear to front. Those won't fit in that direction of the rear dinette which is 48x86. A twin bed is 39x74, you'll be short 26 inches. IF the beds went width wide, you'd be taking up 78 inches (with no space between the beds) and now you've taken 30 inches out of the kitchen counter. A great feature in the 21 is the counter length. All the cabinets on the drivers side would also need to move forward the same amount of space. I'm not sure I'd want the dinette up front either, while it's cozy for sleeping, it doesn't have enough windows for "dining," IMHO.
You would be using the shorter cabinets of the 19 with the dinette in front, like the 19 has. This should theoretically leave 2 extra feet in the rear. The width of the trailer is 80 inches (the length of a queen mattress). An Airstream's twin beds are 33-34 inches wide. 2 beds would be about 67 inches leaving about 13 inches for an aisle between the beds and a night table at the end. There may be a problem where the door is located on a 21 compared to the 19 and where the drains are positioned and probably a lot more things I haven't thought of but If I could get twin beds I would be chomping at the bit.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
You would be using the shorter cabinets of the 19 with the dinette in front, like the 19 has. This should theoretically leave 2 extra feet in the rear. The width of the trailer is 80 inches (the length of a queen mattress). An Airstream's twin beds are 33-34 inches wide. 2 beds would be about 67 inches leaving about 13 inches for an aisle between the beds and a night table at the end. There may be a problem where the door is located on a 21 compared to the 19 and where the drains are positioned and probably a lot more things I haven't thought of but If I could get twin beds I would be chomping at the bit.
You've forgotten, in the 21' the bathroom is upfront along the door side. There's no window on that side of the trailer where the bed is on the 21... because it's the bathroom wall. The whole front end of the 21' is configured totally different than the 19'.

But, I do have a solution for you. Buy a 5.0TA and put in the Airstream sized twin beds in the loft. Done.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Back to the two-persoon bed situation:
21: double size mattress (minus little corner)
1 window (option available for second in the front)
Crawl over or scoop down
No choice of where to put your head on the pillow
First thing in the morning: make bed (visible from open door)
19: queen size mattress
3 windows
Crawl over (easier when sleeping with your head beside the fridge)
Choice of sleeping feet driver side or feet passenger side
No hurry to make bed
Making the bed in a 19 or 21 is not a big difference. But having to make the bed first thing in the morning, for me, made a huge difference.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
(easier when sleeping with your head beside the fridge)
The only sensible way.

*runs, ducks, and hides*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The only sensible way.

*runs, ducks, and hides*
Except for one time:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I never thought about having to make the bed first thing in the morning if the bed were visible from the door. We are not fastidious about that. I wonder if people who buy 21s are more likely to be people who make their beds first thing every day. Not only are we not fastidious but I don't do that neat a job. As for the crawl over -- I found that both sides have advantages and disadvantages.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just open the Travasak over the bed, looks half made then
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
19' floorplan plus twin beds in 21' shell

As a modification after the trailer is built, putting the 19' plan in a 21' body would face lots of issues with openings in the wrong places in the walls and floors.

If Escape would agree to building one that way (which of course is unlikely) the placement issues would probably all be manageable... except the door, because that's probably still a moulded-in feature (unlike the windows and other openings which are cut after moulding) and the 19' plan would need it further forward than the location in the 21' shell. Reinforcing core sections and flanges to attach cabinets are also bonded in place; although their locations are not determined by the mould, they would need to be placed to fit the 19' cabinets rather than where they normally are for the 21'.

The 5.0TA shell is derived from the 21' shell, but the middle part (galley and bath) of the 5.0TA floorplan is essentially that of the 19', not the 21'. The twin bed plan in a 21' shell might be most easily done with 5.0TA cabinets in a 21' shell, placed to leave the right space behind them for the twin beds. Mixing and matching of elements of the designs is certainly possible.

Mass distribution and balance would need to be considered - you want heavy stuff concentrated near the middle. The 19' has the battery on the tongue, while the 21' has it under the dinette seat; the hybrid design would need to place the battery in the location which would make the distribution work - likely under one of the twin beds.

The differences are extensive enough that I think it would have to be a different model variant, rather than a customization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
The width of the trailer is 80 inches (the length of a queen mattress). An Airstream's twin beds are 33-34 inches wide. 2 beds would be about 67 inches leaving about 13 inches for an aisle between the beds and a night table at the end.
80 inches is the width of the 17' and smaller models, but the 21' is 88" wide (at the seam), so there's a little more room; however, wall thickness has to be considered as well. The 21' is 4 inches wider than the 19', so with the cabinetry from the 19' in the 21' shell, the aisle would be 4 inches wider than it is in a normal 19'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We too are very happy with the standard queen in our nineteen, except for when we have to change, tuck in or adjust the fitted sheets. This is a very comfortable mattress. I want my sheets to fit and look tight and smooth at all times.
Haven't done that since military boot camp ...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We too are very happy with the standard queen in our nineteen, except for when we have to change, tuck in or adjust the fitted sheets. This is a very comfortable mattress. I want my sheets to fit and look tight and smooth at all times. Never happens. Why is that? The process is a wrestling match on a trampoline we always lose.
Hi: MyronL... When you're three sheets to the wind you're considered tight!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #33

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Haven't done that since military boot camp ...........
I guess you do not verify your gig line is aligned either.

For the record, neither do I.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I never thought about having to make the bed first thing in the morning if the bed were visible from the door. We are not fastidious about that. I wonder if people who buy 21s are more likely to be people who make their beds first thing every day. Not only are we not fastidious but I don't do that neat a job. As for the crawl over -- I found that both sides have advantages and disadvantages.
I don't know, but I've been in the habit of making my bed first thing, ever in the stick & brick so making the bed isn't a problem.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I make my bed first thing in the morning in my sticks 'n bricks. But never in my trailer until I've had my cup of coffee. If anyone comes over to my trailer that early in the morning... what... they're going to see sheets and a pillow? I'm more mortified by how dirty the floor gets sometimes, than someone seeing a wrinkled, messed up bed. I guess my values are just different...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #36

I just could not be bothered with a bed looking like it belonged in a fashion magazine. My wife too is fairly lax, but will kinda toss the blankets into place.

With the floor, it gets swept once, maybe twice, a day, and shoes never come off unless muddy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have the "classic rumpled" look and that is just fine with me. Never have the sheets or comforter anything but rumpled. If anyone comes to the door, my feet would be out and no socks!

We remove shoes at the door and have an outdoor mat there for them. Then only need to vacuum once in a great while and wash the rugs sometimes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #38

We are just in and out too much to bother taking shoes off. Even at home I wear some sort of clean footwear inside, usually my Berks, as my feet tire too much in socks only.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are just in and out too much to bother taking shoes off. Even at home I wear some sort of clean footwear inside, usually my Berks, as my feet tire too much in socks only.
I have that problem with some shoes so I use others that can be easily removed when going in and out, however, that is generally for hook-up or set-up. You stay at your campsite much of the time and we are almost never there. So easy for us to do. Also, our weather is hotter so no need to have regular or heavy footwear much of the time. That does make a difference.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my issue is dirty dogs on /off the bed my bed gets full of sand. i try to keep it made with a blanket over so i can keep the bedding cleaner. My floor just gets dirty and I just sweep it out/vacuum. I cant really keep it all clean when I camp the dogs and I track a lot of dirt in!!! We are messy!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote