Questions as we work on build list - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Questions as we work on build list

Hi all,

We are on the final countdown for our 2018 19' build list.

Few questions:
Re:dinette lighting, is it adequate or will we want/need Captain's lights as well?

Wardrobe... what do most do for shoes? Have a drawer underneath?

How useful is a cabinet drawer at end of the bench?

What about fridge bars?
Useful or superfluous?

Backup camera sounds like a great item. I came within 6" of taking out our bikes when backing our 16' Scamp this winter. Wife was not yet back to guide me and I simply did not see the tree smack in the middle of the trailer. Just luck that I stopped to verify the water & electrical hookup distances.

August 8 cannot come soon enough!

Cheers,

Bat Dude & Co.
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We would miss the captain's s lights to read as it is a focused beam.

Couple other things some forget: toilet shut off valve, tongue jack or at least a pre-wire for one.

If you can afford a better vinyl floor now is the time to do that, especially if you think you will keep the trailer for several years.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It is getting closer now, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Hi all,

Few questions:
Re:dinette lighting, is it adequate or will we want/need Captain's lights as well?
The lighting is great for everything but reading, as if I sit back, or into one corner the pages of the book are dark. I will likely be putting in at least one Captains light.
In our 19 we used the cabinet door under the dinette bench.
See above, I kinda think a door might be better, have never seen a drawer their.
What about fridge bars?
Useful or superfluous?
Personally, never used them, don't think they are necessary.
Backup camera sounds like a great item. I came within 6" of taking out our bikes when backing our 16' Scamp this winter. Wife was not yet back to guide me and I simply did not see the tree smack in the middle of the trailer. Just luck that I stopped to verify the water & electrical hookup distances.
Never had a problem without one. Either way you have to remember they are there.

Cheers,

Bat Dude & Co.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Hi all,
Few questions:
On the 19 we are lucky that the power is easy to run from the driver side to the upper cabinet on the driver side. I added a 12v wire to the other side. This way you can decide later if you want reading lights. I also added 12v wires to the two side cabinets over the bed.
Drawers are very useful. We went with the single drawer under the wardrobe. The double drawer looked interesting but was considerably more money for just one more drawer. But it would not be good for shoes, a door at the end of the bench would work better.
I'd get the door. It would be much more useful.
What about fridge bars?
Useful or superfluous?
They can be picked up at Camperworld if you decide you need them. We did not. We did pick up a set of the smaller Camco 17 inch single and double bars for the medicine cabinet from Camperworld. I got tired of opening the door and hearing stuff clatter around the toilet.
We picked up the wireless camera for our Garmin GPS and while it works fine we do not use it. Karen does a good job of backing me and I found the camera was just a distraction otherwise.
Cheers,
Bat Dude & Co.
It will be here before you know it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My wife uses the Captain's light in the am while I'm still sleeping, I don't use them at all, which of course means we need them.

Fridge Bars... We have them but found they didn't work very well. They may or may not work on your fridge as it's different from ours. We really have no issues without them, so they are unnecessary to us.

Backup camera... Many have them and like them, it's a personal choice thing. I do not have one, like the fridge bars I also have no problems without. If I'm by myself I do have to get out to see if I'm stopped as far back as I want to be. I've never hit anything or anybody so I guess I don't need one.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
We got captains lights over the bed but not the table, now I have to put them over the table myself.

Quote:

Our shoes go in the cabinet door at the end of the bench.

Quote:

Backup camera sounds like a great item.
I like the camera. The microphone is nice too when my wife is guiding me into a tight spot (like our garage) and she can't stand where I can see her.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
"How useful is a cabinet drawer at end of the bench?"

Extremely! It makes the space useable, instead of having to dig under the dinette cushions.

I'd get the two drawers under the wardrobe as well.

Captains lights? Get them!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
[QUOTE=NCBill;244082]"How useful is a cabinet drawer at end of the bench?"

Extremely! It makes the space useable, instead of having to dig under the dinette cushions.

/QUOTE]

Yup, built many slider shoe drawers for that bench that pull out through a door at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
19 Drawers.JPG   Drawer_Set.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
[QUOTE=tractors1;244105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
"How useful is a cabinet drawer at end of the bench?"

/QUOTE]

Yup, built many slider shoe drawers for that bench that pull out through a door at the end.
And Charley you made one for us for our shoes in the regular dinette and we love it ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We had ETI install a captain light under the front o/h shelf over the dinette table, works for us. In addition I installed a 120v/USB power pedestal in the table to keep charging cords neater...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04907.jpg   IMG_0775.jpg   IMG_0776.jpg   IMG_0777.jpg  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #11

Tnx!!!!!!!!!!!!

All great suggestions!!

Few items to ponder. The 1120V/USB pedestal looks really great I need to find where I can get that. ETI installed or user installed?

That has been a major issue with our 16'Scamp with a snakes nest of 120 v and USB cords under the dinette table.

Also, the extra exterior LED light to go on the front over the storage box seems like a no-brainer. I initially assumed not a big deal with a flashlight or headlamp. Hard to hold the light when both hands are rummaging around in the box unless the small mag light is held in one's mouth.

Bat Dude
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
All great suggestions!!

Few items to ponder. The 1120V/USB pedestal looks really great I need to find where I can get that. ETI installed or user installed?

That has been a major issue with our 16'Scamp with a snakes nest of 120 v and USB cords under the dinette table.

Also, the extra exterior LED light to go on the front over the storage box seems like a no-brainer. I initially assumed not a big deal with a flashlight or headlamp. Hard to hold the light when both hands are rummaging around in the box unless the small mag light is held in one's mouth.

Bat Dude
I installed the power pedestal https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the drill cut out https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #13

I installed the front exterior lights inside the front storage box and have 2 bullet led lights forward and 2 down to where the stabilizers touch the ground for those night time hookups. All4 are on a switch inside the front box wired to the batteries inside the box.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #14

Trailer: None now
Quote:
All great suggestions!!

Bat Dude
One thing about the front LED light Escape installs over the storage box. Ours filled with water and would not work until it dried out. This happened several times. I cleaned out the sealant they used and resealed the top and sides and left the bottom open and that did not help. What solved it was Glad cling wrap. I pull a strip over it and seal the light bezel and switch area which keeps the water out. This might be due to the way air flows over our truck and where it hits the trailer as I've not heard others with that problem.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #15

Another reason to stick with sealed units on the outside, they work even when wet.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #16

Anyone using the 2-way water heater? 120 v and propane? Seems it would save propane when connected, but also the more "features" on an item the more that can go wrong with it.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We do and we use it as expected. Propane on the road and power if available. Didn't really get it to save money on propane, more that it makes sense to use it on power if you're paying for it.

Not sure that I buy the "more things to go wrong". I call it having a back-up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Anyone using the 2-way water heater? 120 v and propane? Seems it would save propane when connected, but also the more "features" on an item the more that can go wrong with it.
Like Ron, I don't see this as more probability that I will be without hot water - just the opposite. If the AC-powered or propane-fueled operation fails, I still have the other one.

Electric operation is quieter, and also extends the time before a propane refill is required; regardless of the cost (of propane or electricity), that's a convenience.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We would miss the captain's s lights to read as it is a focused beam.

Couple other things some forget: toilet shut off valve, tongue jack or at least a pre-wire for one.

If you can afford a better vinyl floor now is the time to do that, especially if you think you will keep the trailer for several years.
Rossue,

Based on the above suggestion Is your experience with the stock vinyl floor ETI installs giving you wear problems?
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I don't believe that the stock flooring supplied by Escape has any predisposition towards wear. Mine is not wearing at all after 5 years. That being said, others have added custom flooring at the factory or even after taking delivery of their Escapes. It all depends what you may be happy with.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote