Questions before submitting our build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Questions before submitting our build sheet

Hello everyone - We are a week away from submitting our build sheet and we have a few questions. If anyone could give us some guidance that would be wonderful.

*Hot water tank - how long does it take to heat up? Am I right that it's a 6 gallon?

*Toilet shut off valve - needed? I remember reading about it here, but can't find the thread.

*Winterizing t-valve - needed?

*Do many people get the Rear Upper LED Brake/Signal lights? They are just in the upper corners, right? Are the two lower break/signal
lights sufficient?

*We are unsure on getting a tv. Does anyone use a 12v tv? I saw they have one with a built in DVD player.

*Anyone know the standard clearance of the 17B as that is trailer we are getting. Does 2 inches (higher lift) really make a difference?

*The front storage box - love it, but is it worth the cost? I was given the measurements of the box as being 74 in the back, 42 in the front, 19 high and 12 deep. Anyone know of a similar storage box close to that size that can be bought and put on ourselves? I'm having a hard time finding a box that is 12 inches deep.

*I love the captain lights, but 4 seems like a lot of light - 2 on each end. Anyone have all 4 in a 17B? If so it's it bright/all 4 needed?

*Fabric change - I was told our fabric has a definite pattern (very thin stripe) and it will take 21 yards. Anyone get a similar yardage amount for changing out fabric on the 17B? That does include making the wardrobe into an extended bench. This is not for a full wrap.

Thank you for helping us out on this.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
[QUOTE=MaryK;234969]Hello everyone - We are a week away from submitting our build sheet and we have a few questions. If anyone could give us some guidance that would be wonderful.

*Hot water tank - how long does it take to heat up? Am I right that it's a 6 gallon?

Never timed it but it was fairly quick. If you also picked the 120v option when plugged in at a campground it will be even faster.

*Toilet shut off valve - needed? I remember reading about it here, but can't find the thread.

Get this! You may never need it but if the toilet fails you will be able to shut it off and continue camping. When you need to flush after turning it off simply pour water in.

*The front storage box - love it, but is it worth the cost? I was given the measurements of the box as being 74 in the back, 42 in the front, 19 high and 12 deep. Anyone know of a similar storage box close to that size that can be bought and put on ourselves? I'm having a hard time finding a box that is 12 inches deep.

We really debated this one since it was expensive. Then finally decided it fits well, protects the front and now that we have it could not imagine not having the extra storage.

*I love the captain lights, but 4 seems like a lot of light - 2 on each end. Anyone have all 4 in a 17B? If so it's it bright/all 4 needed?

We decided not to get them. The stock dome lights are bright enough to read by. When we contacted Escape they did say the captain lights were not warm light LED's. She said they seemed harsh white to her. So we decided since we would need to find replacement LED's to just skip them. Never did add any. We did add extra 12v DC wires in each upper cabinet for future,

The rest I'll let someone with a 17 answer.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post

You can use both gas and electric at the same time if you're in a real hurry. Never measured the time but pretty quick. 6 gals. sounds about right.

Not "needed" but a good idea to have a secondary shutoff in case of a broken valve etc.

Not "needed" but it makes draining the system easier.

*Do many people get the Rear Upper LED Brake/Signal lights? They are just in the upper corners, right? Are the two lower break/signal
lights sufficient?

More lights on the rear is always a good idea and if you carry any bikes etc. on the back it's good to have the higher, not obscured lights.

*We are unsure on getting a tv. Does anyone use a 12v tv? I saw they have one with a built in DVD player.

I have a TV that runs on 12 volts. It wasn't made as an RV 12 volt TV but the power adapter that came with it put out 14 volts. It runs fine on the trailers 12 volts. More efficient than using an inverter.

Personally, can't see having a trailer without one. I find it so handy to have. I made mine and others have found more of less suitable boxes to use.

For some of these topics there will be lots of opinions.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #4

Thank you Ron and wetzk for responding to our questions. It has helped us a lot.

Ron I never thought of the LED's not being warm lighting. That is good to know. We will probably pass on that as those lights could be very bright.

We will get the toilet shut off valve. As I told the hubby we have one at home, why not one in the trailer.

wetzk I never knew one could run both gas and electric to heat up the water for a shower. That's wonderful news!! We do plan on getting both options for the water heater.

The storage box - I see this as a 'must have', but the cost seems so high. We were able to see one on a 19ft Escape and really liked the space it gave for 'stuff'. wetzk what materials did you make yours out of? How did you attach it?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We sent 6 yards for a 21 with a U dinette and still came home with extra. 21 yards for a 17B sounds like way too much. Others have said ETI overestimated and ended up with a lot of extra fabric.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We sent 6 yards for a 21 with a U dinette and still came home with extra. 21 yards for a 17B sounds like way too much. Others have said ETI overestimated and ended up with a lot of extra fabric.
I questioned the amount numerous times and then I called local upholsterers and my Mom who worked at a fabric store and has recovered many pieces of furniture - they both came up with 8 yards. My Mom did say a little more may be needed depending on seam size, but the upholster sticks by her 8 and that included doing piping on the cushions and covering both sides.

I did estimate the size of the cushions for my Mom and the local upholstery shop, but Monday I should get the actual measurements of the cushions from Escape.

Did they tell you 6 yards or did you figure out the yardage yourself and send what you thought would be needed?

Just to be accurate - I rounded down the amount of fabric to 21 yards because we will not be doing the U shape dinette and I was thinking of not covering the valances with that fabric, but would do my own. This is the quote I got from Escape -

The fabric appears to run horizontal on the bold so you would need 24yards for the u-shape and valances and 4 yards for the extended bench for a total of 28 yards of fabric, for standard wrap not full wrap.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Hello everyone - We are a week away from submitting our build sheet and we have a few questions. If anyone could give us some guidance that would be wonderful.

Here is my opinion .... just mine:

Not very long .... something like 5 - 10 minutes on propane only
I don't know ... I have a 17A
Again ... I don't know. Without a bathroom, winterizing is pretty simple. You may like it since you are odering a bathroom and that makes your water system twice as complicated (but still very simple).

lights sufficient?

No! Get all the "I'm stopping NOW! lights you can get. Well, you know ... drivers coming up behind you, tow or not, aren't always paying attention. GET THE UPPER LIGHTS TOO

No expert here, but if your DVD breaks down, likely so will your TV. If your TV breaks down, your DVD is useless. Get separate units.

*Anyone know the standard clearance of the 17B as that is trailer we are getting. Does 2 inches (higher lift) really make a difference?

It depends on how you like to camp. Drive on nothing more than gravel or paved roads ... then standard height will work fine and better,

Like campsites that take a drive down dirt and perhaps rutted roads then the lift may become more important. There is also a 1/2 lift - same price as the high lift but only about (I forget) about 1.5 inches. If I was doing my order all over again, I'd get the 1/2 lift ... but only for looks and not a functional reason. Either way, Escape has you in good hands as Allstate likes to say.

Get the front box ... few have regreated getting it and many have wished they did. Yes its a bit expensive but unless you are very handy (Like the Red Green Show) you can't make one for theprice .... not even close.

To do all over again ... I'd cut way back in the overhead installed LED lights. One mistake that I did was get too much light ... I now can do surgery at midnight. Instead, I ordered two captains lights in forward bed area (17A). Like them a lot!!!
Now want 2 in table area mainly for reading. Found copies of Captains lights on Amazon for a little cheaper and bulbs of either warmer color or cooler color are readily available. What I like to do is shine them off the inside vinyl to make them the right amount of light. At least have ETI wire in 'drops' in each cabinet corner for later easy mods.

*Fabric change - I was told our fabric has a definite pattern (very thin stripe) and it will take 21 yards. Anyone get a similar yardage amount for changing out fabric on the 17B? That does include making the wardrobe into an extended bench. This is not for a full wrap.

I don't know about your total yardage. It could come out more than you thought so the upholsterer could match the pattern. I went for a full wrap ... glad I did. The underside vinyl is very thin .... as in cheesy and might crack in cold weather. Sunbrella fabrics are the only way to go in my opinion gained from years of traveling on boats. Skip the piping! Looks more professional yes but tends to collect dirt and grime. Piping will also wear out much faster than the rest of your fabric and will look scroungy before the rest of your fabric does. Sunbrella can collect stains and dirt and look horrible. Unzip the foam and put the fabric through the washer hang for a quick dry.... it will look like new. Its amazing!

Don't worry too much .... Escape does such a wonderful job- its VERY VERY hard to go wrong.

Good Luck,

Tom

You are going to love your 17!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mary,
It would be helpful on what model your are thinking about purchasing, either in the question or in your avatar. Either way, most of the items questioned are on all of the models. The water heater has hot water within an hour and shuts off. The toilet valve is helpful if there was ever a leak, you can still use the trailer with the toilet isolated. The winterizing "T" valve is not a drain but it makes winterizing your trailer simple and a one person operation. You bypass the water heater and turn the "T" valve which allows you to pump antifreeze through your on board pump and then throughout the entire water system, faucet by faucet and toilet. It also allows one to use your trailer while winterized by using the antifreeze to flush the toilet. In springtime you reverse the procedure and run water throughout your system. I highly recommend these options swell as the additional brake lights, visibility is very important at night.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Tom thank you for responding. Never thought that separate a tv and dvd would be the better way of going if something goes wrong with one of them - good idea! I was wondering what the vinyl would be like on the underside of the cushion. Thin isn't good since it's sitting on wood and hinges. Escape did tell me I'd need to put a blanket or some kind of protection under the cushion no matter which way we went. I love Sunbrella fabric and the sample I picked is Sunbrella - Dupione Latte or Walnut (can't decide color). At $26 a yard I don't want to buy a lot of extra yardage. Agree with the piping - it does gather every crumb or piece of dirt.

We didn't know about the 1/2 lift. I'll pass that information onto the hubby. He's for the lift and I'm wavering on it. We will be traveling as many gravel/country roads as possible.

I don't believe we'll be doing any surgery at night - ha! While I love a lot of light there can be too much as you mentioned. I'll take a look at other options online before deciding.

Thank you for your ideas, advice and what you'd do again.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Mary, not to question what Escape told you, but there's no way you need that much fabric in a 17, with or without the u shaped dinette, even with a full wrap, and regardless of the pattern. We sent 17 yards due to a "repeating" pattern of stripes, to be used in a 19 with a u shaped dinette. We wound up with about 7 yards of excess. Note that we also did a full wrap.

You will use more fabric in a 17B than a 19 however, because you've got a large dinette and a small one, and no permanent bed. That means maybe another 4 yards. If they use more than 15 yards in the entire trailer, I'd be surprised.

We did put some of it to good use however over the next couple of years, making an entry door curtain and some bolster pillows.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
I questioned the amount numerous times and then I called local upholsterers and my Mom who worked at a fabric store and has recovered many pieces of furniture - they both came up with 8 yards. My Mom did say a little more may be needed depending on seam size, but the upholster sticks by her 8 and that included doing piping on the cushions and covering both sides.

I did estimate the size of the cushions for my Mom and the local upholstery shop, but Monday I should get the actual measurements of the cushions from Escape.

Did they tell you 6 yards or did you figure out the yardage yourself and send what you thought would be needed?

Just to be accurate - I rounded down the amount of fabric to 21 yards because we will not be doing the U shape dinette and I was thinking of not covering the valances with that fabric, but would do my own. This is the quote I got from Escape -

The fabric appears to run horizontal on the bold so you would need 24yards for the u-shape and valances and 4 yards for the extended bench for a total of 28 yards of fabric, for standard wrap not full wrap.

We did custom fabric that has a very thin directional red line, so subtle that you won’t notice it unless you stare. ETI wanted double the standard amount of fabric to assure that all the semi-invisible lines lined up right. We told them it was ok if some were horizontal and some vertical and saved having to double the fabric. Maybe an option for you?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
I questioned the amount numerous times and then I called local upholsterers and my Mom who worked at a fabric store and ....

Did they tell you 6 yards or did you figure out the yardage yourself and send what you thought would be enough?

[FONT=&quot][COLOR=red] The fabric appears to run horizontal on the bold so you would need 24yards for the u-shape and valance.....
The 6 yards was on the Build Sheet. Couldn't find my Sailrite invoice for Geobella Biscotti, however the Build Sheet did say "run vertically". Valences were done with same fabric.

Good idea to take fabric sample to upholsterer. ETI spends lots of time accommodating these special requests and overestimating helps eliminate problems, yet it's your $$ for fabric.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #13

Jim we are purchasing an Escape 17B. Build is due Feb. 2nd - Yikes! It came up quicker because Escape had some earlier openings which we luckily got in on.

I can see where the winterizing T valve and the toilet valve are good additions to the trailer. Seems both make things a whole less complicated if and when needed.

As I look at pictures of the rear of the trailer - I see that the upper brake lights are better seen visually than the lower ones. Looks like the 17B gets 2 and the larger trailers get 2 corner ones and some middle lights above the window.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Mary, not to question what Escape told you, but there's no way you need that much fabric in a 17, with or without the u shaped dinette, even with a full wrap, and regardless of the pattern. We sent 17 yards due to a "repeating" pattern of stripes, to be used in a 19 with a u shaped dinette. We wound up with about 7 yards of excess. Note that we also did a full wrap.

You will use more fabric in a 17B than a 19 however, because you've got a large dinette and a small one, and no permanent bed. That means maybe another 4 yards. If they use more than 15 yards in the entire trailer, I'd be surprised.

We did put some of it to good use however over the next couple of years, making an entry door curtain and some bolster pillows.
7 excess yards - oh my!!! I agree with you - there is no way we need that much fabric. I was told that Escape doesn't want to run into 'not having enough fabric and me having to order more' during the build. Honestly I'd rather order more during the build vs having way too much extra yardage after the build.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The 6 yards was on the Build Sheet. Couldn't find my Sailrite invoice for Geobella Biscotti, however the Build Sheet did say "run vertically". Valences were done with same fabric.

Good idea to take fabric sample to upholsterer. ETI spends lots of time accommodating these special requests and overestimating helps eliminate problems, yet it's your $$ for fabric.
Good idea - I will take the fabric to a local upholsterer and see what they recommend after I get the cushion measurements from Escape.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #16

sclifrickson - I too told Escape that the sides of the cushions could run differently than the upper seat covering, but I was told Escape has had problems (assuming customer) with doing that using the Dupione fabric. I even sent in a picture of such a cushion done in the way I wanted it done, but that didn't work in convincing them it was okay. The picture I sent in had the same lines as the Dupione fabric.

Could you tell me if Escape wraps the fabric around the cushion top or is the fabric cut into pieces - top, 4 side pieces and a bottom piece.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
The storage box - I see this as a 'must have', but the cost seems so high. We were able to see one on a 19ft Escape and really liked the space it gave for 'stuff'. wetzk what materials did you make yours out of? How did you attach it?
I made mine from aluminum, Myron used a plastic material. I could have painted mine white but I like aluminum so I left it natural.

Mine follows the front slope of the trailer so I have a little more volume for "stuff".

Others have found commercial tapered boxes that fit the area. Easy to attach to the frame with brackets.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-04-2014 5-19-26 PM11_resize.jpg   P4280082_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Could you tell me if Escape wraps the fabric around the cushion top or is the fabric cut into pieces - top, 4 side pieces and a bottom piece.
If you get a "full wrap", there are very few seams and no piping. If you go without the full wrap, there is piping. Piping means more seams, but it also means less continuous material required.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I was wondering what the vinyl would be like on the underside of the cushion. Thin isn't good since it's sitting on wood and hinges. Escape did tell me I'd need to put a blanket or some kind of protection under the cushion no matter which way we went.
I just bought a half-dozen rolls of grippy shelf liner at the Dollar store. Cushions are protected and they don't move around. Win-Win.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Donna, did you just put the shelf liner on the bench, or attach it somehow? Sounds like a good idea that's not expensive. This is the first I've heard about needing something under the cushions.

Thanks.