Questions before submitting our build sheet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Donna, did you just put the shelf liner on the bench, or attach it somehow? Sounds like a good idea that's not expensive. This is the first I've heard about needing something under the cushions.

Thanks.
I just cut it and laid it on the bench. I bought the first roll when I found out while taking a nap in the U-shape dinette and the dang filler board cushion kept moving! Then the lightbulb went on
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I made mine from aluminum, Myron used a plastic material. I could have painted mine white but I like aluminum so I left it natural.

Mine follows the front slope of the trailer so I have a little more volume for "stuff".

Others have found commercial tapered boxes that fit the area. Easy to attach to the frame with brackets.

Ron
Wow that looks wonderful! You did a great job!! Agree with you that the aluminum looks good not painted. This has me thinking now that maybe we could do this on our own.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you get a "full wrap", there are very few seams and no piping. If you go without the full wrap, there is piping. Piping means more seams, but it also means less continuous material required.
Thank you for letting me know this.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I just bought a half-dozen rolls of grippy shelf liner at the Dollar store. Cushions are protected and they don't move around. Win-Win.
Love that grippy shelf liner and using it under the cushions would be a good place to use it. I've used it on dog ramps - works great!!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Wow that looks wonderful! You did a great job!! Agree with you that the aluminum looks good not painted. This has me thinking now that maybe we could do this on our own.
It's really a pretty simple project. The base is plywood cut to the shape you want. Then some verticals and a top frame that matches the base. Wrap with aluminum or plastic sheet.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-04-2014 5-19-12 PM1_resize.jpg   28-04-2014 5-19-16 PM4_resize.jpg   P4260068 cropped_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #26

The front storage box is very useful. I use it for storing blocks, chocks, power cord, water hose, and 90 degree sewer hose fitting. I also keep the toilet chemicals in the box with gloves for dumping. I also have a wash tub for dishes or washing clothes.
It is a nice box built very strong.
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #27

I like the upper LED tail lights. Any big rig can see them.
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
I questioned the amount numerous times and then I called local upholsterers and my Mom who worked at a fabric store and has recovered many pieces of furniture - they both came up with 8 yards. My Mom did say a little more may be needed depending on seam size, but the upholster sticks by her 8 and that included doing piping on the cushions and covering both sides.

I did estimate the size of the cushions for my Mom and the local upholstery shop, but Monday I should get the actual measurements of the cushions from Escape.
Not sure if this helps or not, but this is what is listed under the Custom Fabric option for a 17 on the ETI website:

Custom Fabric
Plan A - 5.3m or 5.8yds
Plan B - 7.4m or 8.2yds
Plan B - W/Mattress 10.5m or 11.5yds
* Please note fabrics with a repeating pattern will
require the amount to be doubled

Convert Bench Seat to U Shaped Dinette
Fabric Measurment 8m or 8.8yds.
* Please note fabrics with a repeating pattern will require the amount to be doubled.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure if this helps or not, but this is what is listed under the Custom Fabric option for a 17 on the ETI website:

Custom Fabric
Plan A - 5.3m or 5.8yds
Plan B - 7.4m or 8.2yds
Plan B - W/Mattress 10.5m or 11.5yds
* Please note fabrics with a repeating pattern will
require the amount to be doubled

Convert Bench Seat to U Shaped Dinette
Fabric Measurment 8m or 8.8yds.
* Please note fabrics with a repeating pattern will require the amount to be doubled.
Yeah Dave, that's more in line with what I would expect. It puts the repeating pattern fabric requirement for a 17B at just over 16 yards. I'm betting even 12 would suffice.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Yes definetly go with the front box. And I read a lot, so I like my extra spot lights, both front and rear on my 19, but I would not say they r necessary.
Have u thought about the additional insulation options?
Have fun!
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's really a pretty simple project. The base is plywood cut to the shape you want. Then some verticals and a top frame that matches the base. Wrap with aluminum or plastic sheet.

Ron
Thank you Ron. The hubby is looking at it now.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlqwen View Post
I like the upper LED tail lights. Any big rig can see them.
That's a really good reason to have them.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #33

Thank you rubicon327 and rbryan4 for your thoughts on the fabric measurements. What they have posted on their website is so far from what Escape told me which is so frustrating. I will be talking with them on Monday in hopes we can come to some kind of mutual point when it comes to yardage. If not I'll just go with the standard fabric and have them covered by someone locally once we get the trailer. Hate doing that as I'd like the trailer 'done' when we get it, but I can't see spending hundreds of dollars for fabric that won't be needed.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
ETI doesn't do the upholstery in-house. Ask who their vendor is if they can't better explain why they need 21 yards so you can speak with someone who really knows.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
ETI doesn't do the upholstery in-house. Ask who their vendor is if they can't better explain why they need 21 yards so you can speak with someone who really knows.
Escape did tell me they have a vendor that does the sewing of the covers and that was the quote they were given by the vendor. I have a feeling the vendor doesn't like working with the pattern in the Dupione fabric when Escape told me they've had issues with it. Makes me wonder if the vendor asks for more fabric because of wrong cuts and needing to re-cut. I hope that isn't the case. I by no means have an issue with Escape on this matter, but I am hoping that Escape will re-check this in more detail on Monday.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Let me give you a tip as the daughter of a retired interior decorator. Upholstery fabric is usually only manufactured for one year. Unless you buy the same fabrics as used in the hotel/motel industry. Think ahead. Yes you can buy "just enough" to upholster your cushions and cover the valances. BUT, what happens 3-5 years from now and you've got a badly stained cushion or a hole and you don't have fabric to repair the entire "top" of one cushion? Does that mean you end up with a "coordinating" patch for one cushion or maybe you'll need to replace ALL the upholstery because that patch.... just won't do? I (and my bud Kathie) worked so hard to find the fabric I wanted, I went overboard. I ended up purchasing 19 yards (plus 1 yard on eBay). I love it! and I know I can fix nearly anything that may need fixing for a looooong time and I'm perfectly fine with that. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have a 19 on order with the standard dinette and also using Sunbrella dupione. They asked me for 21 yards which I also found excessive. Which way are you running the fabric?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
I have a 19 on order with the standard dinette and also using Sunbrella dupione. They asked me for 21 yards which I also found excessive. Which way are you running the fabric?
I'm finding these reports a bit surprising. Our 19 build sheet with a U-shaped dinette specified 8.8 yards of fabric. With a "repeating pattern" we had to double that, so we sent 17 yards. We had about 7 left over. With stock benches, you'll use less fabric than we did. The stock requirement for fabric without the U shaped dinette is 5.5 yards, double that if it repeats. So a max of 11 yards. I understand the point about how having leftover fabric is a good thing, but 10+ yards left over? I must be missing something. 21 yards is alot of fabric.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Forgot to add that I requested full wrap on cushions. Still, 21 yards
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Rob, I like the parentheses around repeating pattern. Yours is striped, no? To me a repeating pattern is where you've got something like a barnyard scene or a scene with palm trees.