Questions specific to the 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Questions specific to the 21

Working away on my build sheet as we are a month away from finalizing, and I have a couple questions.

1. We hear that it's good to get a captains light over the drawer stack at the end of the bed. Where specifically should it go? You can rotate those right? Should it go under the cabinet on the bed end so we could point it towards the bed if we needed it there? Or on the opposite side so it's out of the way? We are asking for an additional (non opening) window over the drawer stack if that makes any difference. Oh and we have one of the old furnaces saved for us so I think we'll be getting the old (shorter) drawer stack as well.

2. Thinking about adding a cabinet door to the under bed space near the bathroom. We're told it can go beside the bathroom or on the 45. Which would be better?

I have no idea how we'll use either of these things but I hear they're good to have. Thank you in advance!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Our reading lights are at the head of the bed so we can easily read in bed. I would see no reason to install a light over the drawers at the bottom of bed - they are reading lights and would seem to serve no useful purpose in that position IMHO. No idea why you would want a window there either. There is plenty of natural light from the standard windows and at night there is plenty of light from the fixtures.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We wish we had thought to get a light in that spot (a single under-cabinet LED fixture would have worked just as well). Here's why: when we're plugged in, we have small coffeemaker that we keep on that countertop. Making coffee in the semi-dark is a challenge.

Not everyone would use this counter for anything that required light, but if you think you might, I say go for it. I plan to install an under-cabinet LED there sometime soon. Fortunately, there's plenty of 12-volt nearby that I can tap into.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Jill- after talking with Susan we both think a light and window is a good thing- especially the light. If it were me I would put a standard ceiling light(a single-not double on the overhead cabinet. A captain's light there might be clunky.

For the door, we have the extra one by the bathroom. Having it at the 45 would be so close to the stock door as to not provide any more meaningful access it would seem
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
21 quastions

Jill, Jack here, We have used our 21 a lot and we're happy with it just the way it is now. We have the reading lights over the head of the bed and 4 over the dinette. The additional door we had installed on the angled panel so shoes in there could be reached while standing outside and the bath door clears. There are so many lights on the ceiling that we don't think we need more, although one of our chandelles (sp?) is over the drawer cabinet.
We're happy with the new refrig and just waiting for a new temp sensor or I'll add the bypass on switch for the 90+ days.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got 4 extra captain lights in my BlackJack Escape, 2 over bed is essential, one over night stand, one by the door for night time excursions and 2 at the rear "U" dinette. I you want to ever install a 120v electric heater under the bed by the bath, leave the door at the stock locale and have an extra 120v installed on the 45 degree angle. That way you can use a night light at night time there and later install a built in electric heater that keeps your bath warm and toasty. See post #66 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ck-3134-7.html
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Added an underbed door next to the bath that we use for a show drawer. On the 45 we added a 120v outlet so wifey could use her hair dryer with the mirror on the inside of the bath door when it's open.

I added a flip up counter top shelf next to the sink for making coffee; that's near the water and plenty of light there. We brew into a carafe, so the shelf/pot no longer needed once coffee is made.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Working away on my build sheet as we are a month away from finalizing, and I have a couple questions.

1. We hear that it's good to get a captains light over the drawer stack at the end of the bed. Where specifically should it go? You can rotate those right? Should it go under the cabinet on the bed end so we could point it towards the bed if we needed it there? Or on the opposite side so it's out of the way? We are asking for an additional (non opening) window over the drawer stack if that makes any difference. Oh and we have one of the old furnaces saved for us so I think we'll be getting the old (shorter) drawer stack as well.

2. Thinking about adding a cabinet door to the under bed space near the bathroom. We're told it can go beside the bathroom or on the 45. Which would be better?

I have no idea how we'll use either of these things but I hear they're good to have. Thank you in advance!
We were thinking of adding a light above those drawers but did not. Wanted to use a different captains light. I am supposing with the electrical in that area that it would be an easy add-on if we want it later. You will probably want it if you don't get it! There is a great deal of ceiling light but depends on what you are using the light for and the ceiling light may be blocked by you. Two captains lights at head of bed are standard on the 21'. So we did not get any more. Some put them in the dinette also but we are not.

We are having a second bed door added on the angle. That is what I presume you see when the entry door is open. We wanted to be able to access that whole underbed area there easier. We put more outlets on the area closest to the bathroom where you can also add a door.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
Wow! Every possible combination! We have 4 additional captains lights at the dinette and an extra door to the underbed storage next to the bathroom which is perfect for access to an area for shoes. This set up is perfect for us. How do you think you'll use the space? That will determine what you need. Think about walking into the trailer, getting up in the middle of the night, reading when it's rainy. It's great to be able to choose but at the same time a bit daunting. You'll make the right choice for you.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I agree that a standard ceiling light over the cabinet would be good. The extra window is a good idea; you can never have too many windows imho. I hardly ever use the captain's lights over the head of my bed, as I read with a lighted ebook reader.

As an aside, I wish all the LED lights were the double lights. You can't have too much light in a kitchen area, and it seems like I need more light as I get older anyway.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
will you post your final decisions, we have "lots" of time to finalize our options..March. Thanks for starting the stream. Roberta
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We toyed with the question of where to put the second under-bed door also. We divided our under-bed area into 4 sections and we're very happy with the decision to place the door next to the bathroom. It works for the way we use that compartment (shoes).
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4570.jpg   SAM_4595.jpg   SAM_4599.jpg  
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #13

As an aside, I wish all the LED lights were the double lights. You can't have too much light in a kitchen area, and it seems like I need more light as I get older anyway.

same here Mike, mentioned this to my eye doctor last month, sign of cataracts, which is very common to retirees and easily remedied.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We toyed with the question of where to put the second under-bed door also. We divided our under-bed area into 4 sections and we're very happy with the decision to place the door next to the bathroom. It works for the way we use that compartment (shoes).
That is a lot of shoes "space" Imelda....
For mine, I installed an auxiliary electric heater on the bathroom bed side, keeps the bath and bed area toasty when you have hook ups.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is a lot of shoes "space" Imelda....
For mine, I installed an auxiliary electric heater on the bathroom bed side, keeps the bath and bed area toasty when you have hook ups.
I have built removable "shoe drawers" for the odd shaped underbed area next to the bath door in the 21s; ETI has been installing that access door so close to the bath door that it won't open a full 90 degrees unless you open the bath door first. So I'm toying with moving the hinges to the bottom so it would flip down to open instead.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #16

Our shoe area may look like a lot, but put shoes for two people (tennis shoes, hiking shoes, shower shoes, etc) and it fills up fast. Even though we now have two levels for our shoes in that space, I had to enlarge it to the front of the trailer a few inches so that I wouldn't have to find another place for my shoes. As my wife says, a woman needs choices! And, I haven't noticed a problem with the door opening, but then I'm not sliding a drawer in and out.

Could a heater be mounted on the angled panel, leaving room for the shoes behind it Jim, or would you be afraid of fire?
Tom
Old 07-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #17

I'm just messing with you Tom about your shoes, I cut another cubby hole in my cubbies just for 2 pair of slippers......
Old 07-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Jim, I also re-worked the cubby area. I now have 5 cubbies in the same space as the original 4 and cut out the bottom for whatever. I intended on the bottom cutout to be for my shoes when I take them off at night, (easier to find and I wouldn't trip over them) but my wife has other plans for it. Oh well, I tried.
Tom
Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #19

Jim, here's a picture of the cuby area when I thought the lower cutout area was going to be for shoes or slippers like yours. Now it has an oak bar across for a lip for whatever my wife plans on putting in there. Sorry for the reflection from the mirror on the bathroom door.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6016.jpg   SAM_6012.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

Yours looks nicer than mine, what did you line yours with? I just used some scrap remnants.