Rad Rover - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
JStelly: I have two thoughts... I've seen two RADs - one Mini Step thru and Mini 4 on the back of a Sprinter Van. So I know some racks will hold them. One consideration when putting close to 150 lbs on the back of a travel trailer is insuring the tongue weight will remain within the 10% to 12% range important for control of your trailer. Also, we purchased two RAD folding bikes which go inside our Highlander, to keep them out of road grime on extended trailer adventures.

By-the-way... ebikes are great! I've ridden my RAD Mini 4 (folding) ebike 1,000 miles since it arrived in October.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5958.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Thanks. All good input. The folding Rad Mini is an option I hadn’t considered.

I’m not overly concerned about pin weight (we have a 5.0). We carry two conventional bikes on a Swagman now and it works well, I’m more concerned about maxing out the hitch weight of 150. So my current plan is to buy the Radrunner with the rear seat and front basket (the configuration my wife likes). We can easily carry it on the bike rack. If we decide to get a second one then the Rad Mini Foldable may work best. I can put it in the rear seat of my truck.

Btw...I like your mounting board in your vehicle for the bikes. It’s a great idea to keep them upright and stable.

John
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Of course, those are 135mm quick release mounts (normal width is 100mm). And because RAD bikes front fork drop outs are so thick, the skewer was too short. So I just use all thread with wing nuts to secure the bikes to the mounts.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i put one rad bike in my rear rack. I changed the tire holds to fat tire holds and i pull the battery and keep it in trailer to decrease weight. We carry a second regular bike in the carrier too. Not sure how much two rad bikes weight - my guess is you would be over 150 pounds.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #45

The specs say 65 lbs. If I pull the battery (8lbs) for 57 lbs net times 2 bikes is 114. The Swagman bike rack is about 40 lbs so the total is 154. Close...but with accessories on the bikes I estimate to be at 160 lbs.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
My way is a bit complicated but it works for us, and I have the radmini with the horizontal bar, not the step trough (ST).

My two ebikes are placed in the kitchen area side by side with the handle bars folded down and bike front facing the dinette area. The two front and back wheel pairs each sit on a piece of 1"x6" board placed crosswise between the kitchen/stove and fridge/wardrobe sides. Two pairs of very large metal hinges are screwed down backward on each board by the edge positions of each tire so when the moving half of the two hinges are flipped up they stop at the parallel vertical position to form a U channel and hold the tire between them firmly. These two boards are connected in the middle by a third board (1"x3") to hold the two cross boards centered below the tires (front and back) and the view of the three boards from above form an I beam shape (if it helps visualize the picture). This holds the tires from left-right movement.

A ratcheting strap is hooked through the two front wheel axles and loops around the bottom of my Lagoon table post to get an anchor point. It then comes back and is wrapped around the two bikes’ triangle resting stands and then goes further back and anchors on a D ring anchor which is screwed in the middle of a piece 2”x6” and the 2x6 serves as the counter anchor position resting on the floor against the kitchen sink cabinet corner on one end and the two drawer stack corner on the other. When the strap is pulled tight the bikes stand on their own. All contact areas between the boards and cabinet and floor are cushioned with floor mat material or foam pads.

I also made two spacer bars and place them between the bikes’ horizontal bars one toward each end to keep the bikes top distance equal at the handle bars and the seat posts and use two bungee cords to wrap around them tight to hold the top section together. To add a bit more stability and cushioning I use 4 7-9” diameter exercise balls and squeeze 2 between the rear axle areas and the cabinets and the other two between the front suspension forks and the cabinets.

With this setup we have driven over 10k miles on our trips with the longest all the way to Yukon Canada and never had a problem. As I said it’s a bit complicated but the reason I did it this way is because I am really averse to drilling holes in my trailer but so far it has worked well for us.

If I have to place one bike in our 5.0 I would rig something like this. Can you post a couple of photos when you can? Thanks, John