Ram 1500 Suspension Upgrade for Towing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They didn't test welding the spring coils together or replacing them with steel bars.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #42

Maybe you could try that and let us know how it turns out. ����
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #43

Meant to put smiley faces on that last post but my computer didn't compute.
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19
Hi Larry & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerls View Post
Good Evening:
My wife and I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Outdoorsman that we use to tow a 2018 19 ft Escape (Love it!). Our hitch weight is around 430 lbs. With the additional camping supplies we carry in the back of the truck along with the driver and passenger, we are still under our weight rating but getting close to our limit. As a result, the back of our vehicle squats more than I would like. I would prefer to stay away from the weight distribution system or air bags if possible. I am now considering heavy duty Coil Spring replacements for the back. I was looking at Super Springs or Tuftruck Coil Springs as a possibility. Has anyone had experience with these or any other brands.

Thanks

Larry

Hi Larry & Janet, this is Calvin & Amber. Still remember us? You showed us your 19ft, and we've gone ahead and ordered one, too. May I ask why not a weight distribution hitch? I'm also looking for a used Ram 1500 to tow and possibly one with "4-Corner air-suspension." I'm not sure if that will solve your problem.
calvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my 2002 f250 doesn't need *any* help to tow a fully loaded escape 21, with a fair bit of gear in the back of the truck. in fact, the truck's factory overload springs (helper leaf spring) doesn't even touch down, its got an inch to go.

of course that truck is sprung to tow a 12500 lb trailer *and* still have 750 lbs of payload (out of its original 2000 lbs, this is assuming 1250 lbs of tongue weight)... ford does recommend using a WDH for trailers over 6500 lbs.

you might check Dodge's tow guidelines for the year and model vehicle you're considering... Ford has a tow book they update each year, like here's my 2002... https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...s/2002_All.pdf I'd have to assume Dodge has similar...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinc View Post
Hi Larry & Janet, this is Calvin & Amber. Still remember us? You showed us your 19ft, and we've gone ahead and ordered one, too. May I ask why not a weight distribution hitch? I'm also looking for a used Ram 1500 to tow and possibly one with "4-Corner air-suspension." I'm not sure if that will solve your problem.
I have often wondered the same question. One of the desirable features of the Ram pickup is the softer ride quality. When our friends test drove pickups, the Ram was cited for its ‘ride comfort’. Why not keep the softer ride for all times not towing, and add the WDH for the relatively infrequent times when towing. If I wanted the firmer ride of a Ford or GM, I would buy a Ford or GM; not a Ram with added aftermarket suspension features

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #47

Trailer: Casita ld17
Timbrens

I have a tundra and the air bag would be nice but pricey. check out timbrens for 200 a pair, they replace the bump stop, automatically work, and install easily. My truck use to bounce a bit with the casita on back but these things put a stop to that
Tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We just bought a 2019 Ram, won't have our 5.0TA until next spring so will have to wait until then to see how it does towing. But one improvement they made to the 2019's is that the rear springs are now progressive coil springs, should handle heavy loads better as they get a bit stiffer as the load increases. The earlier Rams had linear coil springs and were prone to a bit of sagging in the back under heavy loads.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
One of the desirable features of the Ram pickup is the softer ride quality. When our friends test drove pickups, the Ram was cited for its ‘ride comfort’. Why not keep the softer ride for all times not towing, and add the WDH for the relatively infrequent times when towing. If I wanted the firmer ride of a Ford or GM, I would buy a Ford or GM; not a Ram with added aftermarket suspension features
That's what air suspension (OEM or aftermarket) does: soft ride (with low air pressure) when unloaded, and control (with higher air pressure) when loaded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm also looking for a used Ram 1500 to tow and possibly one with "4-Corner air-suspension."
That's even better than adding aftermarket air springs to the coil-spring Ram, because it has air springs at both front and rear. That means when you hook up a trailer the front air springs adjust pressure and the front of the truck doesn't lift as it would with regular springs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
not that we use it for towing, but my wife's 1994 Mercedes wagon has what they call SLS, Self Leveling Suspension... this is a hydro-pneumatic system that used a hydraulic pump driven off the engine (its stacked on the power steering pump), and instead of shocks in back, it has hydraulic rams, which are connected to nitrogen spheres that act as a variable rate spring and damper(shock absorber). it sounds kind of complex, but it gives the same limo-smooth ride with superb road control and total lack of 'boaty' float behavior whether the vehicle is empty or loaded to the nines. there are still coil springs in back, adequate for a unloaded vehicle, so the SLS just assists that when loaded. this wagon has a rated payload of 1400 lbs, which is pretty darn good for a compact car. IF we had a hitch on it, I suspect it would be quite competent at towing a 16-17' fiberglass camper... catch-22, the muffler is crosswise just forward of the rear bumper, so the only sort of hitch you can use is a 'gooseneck' european hitch, nearly unobtanium in the USA.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #52

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Echo the Timbren comment. Put them on my Tundra and the result was a smooth suspension.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #53

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape, Tow: 2014 Ram 1500
Quote:
Hello Calvin & Amber. Sorry I have not been in the forum for a while. Just noticed your reply. I'm sure you will both be happy with your 19ft. We enjoyed showing you the trailer and look forward to hearing about your experience. Who knows... We may run into you while camping.

Regarding our RAM 1500. We have been towing with just the factory supplied tow package and it handles just fine as is. I am just looking for a better tow experience. Currently in the middle of a home improvement project so I have been distracted but will probably go with either a Weight Distribution hitch or air bags.

Was looking at the Equalizer or the Curt with the Trunnion style for clearance. Also the Timber Grove system looks good. A fairly easy install with no drilling.

I hope this helps but the experts on this forum are far more knowledgeable than I.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 19
Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerls View Post
Hello Calvin & Amber. Sorry I have not been in the forum for a while. Just noticed your reply. I'm sure you will both be happy with your 19ft. We enjoyed showing you the trailer and look forward to hearing about your experience. Who knows... We may run into you while camping.

Regarding our RAM 1500. We have been towing with just the factory supplied tow package and it handles just fine as is. I am just looking for a better tow experience. Currently in the middle of a home improvement project so I have been distracted but will probably go with either a Weight Distribution hitch or air bags.

Was looking at the Equalizer or the Curt with the Trunnion style for clearance. Also the Timber Grove system looks good. A fairly easy install with no drilling.

I hope this helps but the experts on this forum are far more knowledgeable than I.
Hi Larry / Janet,
We made it back with our new 19. Backing it onto the unused spot of our driveway (no ramp on that side) was a real challenge. Maybe it'd be easier to find a RV storage like you did. So far we loved our 19. It's really well made. Reace gave us the orientation. Love their family/company and their product!
Calvin
calvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape, Tow: 2014 Ram 1500
Quote:
Hi Larry / Janet,
We made it back with our new 19. Backing it onto the unused spot of our driveway (no ramp on that side) was a real challenge. Maybe it'd be easier to find a RV storage like you did. So far we loved our 19. It's really well made. Reace gave us the orientation. Love their family/company and their product!
Calvin
Calvin.
I have not been on the forum in months since we've been distracted with our home improvement project. I am delighted you took delivery of your Escape 19. You and your family will really enjoy it. Please feel free to PM me on the forum if you have any questions or you can call/text us if you still have our phone number.

Have fun

Larry
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #56

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaken2157 View Post
I have a tundra and the air bag would be nice but pricey. check out timbrens for 200 a pair, they replace the bump stop, automatically work, and install easily. My truck use to bounce a bit with the casita on back but these things put a stop to that
Thank you for the Timbren tip, have 2018 Tundra. Looks fairly simple DIY project
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #57

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Echo the comments on Timbren pads. Not sure I really needed them but they gave me peace of mind at a reasonable price.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I installed them on our 2017 Z71 and it was All i needed to change on it for towing our 21. Trailer towed wonderfully all the way back from Leyde No bouncing and no sway.. Highly recommend them
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote