RCA LED24G45RQD 24" TV questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
RCA LED24G45RQD 24" TV questions

For those of you using RCA model LED24G45RQD 24" TV on your 21' Escapes:

1. Did you have to make any modifications when mounting the LED24G45RQD TV to the MRV3500 mount, from Ready America, that ETI provides? I understand that the LED24G45RQD TV has 75mm x 100mm mounting holes, while the MRV3500 mount provides 75mm x 75mm and 100mm x 100mm holes.

2. This unit does not come with a 12V power supply. Our trailer will be built with a solar panel and a 1500W inverter. The power consumption of this 24" TV is less than 25W. Should I not be concerned with trying to find a 12 volt adapter for it?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
For those of you using RCA model LED24G45RQD 24" TV on your 21' Escapes:

I understand that the LED24G45RQD TV has 75mm x 100mm mounting holes,

2. This unit does not come with a 12V power supply. Should I not be concerned with trying to find a 12 volt adapter for it?
75mm x 100mm seems completely non standard any possibility that's a typo?

TV's that come with an adapter usually have a detachable cord on the back of the tv. Unless the RCA has that I don't think a 12 volt adapter is an option.

I just bought a Sansung last week. It has the external power supply and plug so I made an adaptor cord to fit the 14 volt DC input on the back of the TV. Works fine on 12 volts. Saves using the inverter to make AC only to drop it down to DC.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Should I not be concerned with trying to find a 12 volt adapter for it?
I would not bother if you have the TV already. I don't (and won't) have the built in inverter, and just use a 200W plug in type to run both my TV and keep my laptop charged if using the two together. I also run a DVD player attached to the laptop when wanted too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I just bought a Sansung last week.
Just curious as to which one you bought Ron, as I had looked at that option too last fall, even asking here. I tried all the local TV shops, and checked on line too. All I could find was an old discontinued Samsung model that did not have near the picture quality of the newer ones. There were a couple 18V models, but I did not want to try it with that big of a voltage difference.

Either way, while it is nice to have a 12V TV, we realized that to watch all the shows and movies we had, we still needed to power the computer to keep it charged, either with a 12V power supply, or an inverter (which we did end up doing).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just curious as to which one you bought Ron, as I had looked at that option too last fall, even asking here. I tried all the local TV shops, and checked on line too. All I could find was an old discontinued Samsung model that did not have near the picture quality of the newer ones. There were a couple 18V models, but I did not want to try it with that big of a voltage difference.

Either way, while it is nice to have a 12V TV, we realized that to watch all the shows and movies we had, we still needed to power the computer to keep it charged, either with a 12V power supply, or an inverter (which we did end up doing).

I bought the Samsung UN19F4000. It's an older model but I did want the 12 volt capability. Regarding picture quality; our mobile TV path is a long one starting with a 5" black and white one on our boat years ago. In recent years we've either used our 12" home brick of an LCD or my netbook with a TV stick. So from our point of view the picture quality on this TV is stunningly good.

Our routine is to make sure all our multiple electronic toys are plugged in and charging in the morning when solar with recharge them.

In the evening the only draw on our batteries are 12 volt items and the inverter(s) wouldn't normally be in use. So, if I can run the TV from 12 volts, it's just more efficient than using an inveter.

Ron
Old 11-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

That is probably the one I saw Ron, but the consumer freak in me wanted newer and better.

Having gone from never having a TV in a trailer, to using one a fair bit on our last holiday because of weather, has definitely opened my eyes to try to look forward to how we will RV, compared to just looking back to how we have RV'd in the past.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
That is probably the one I saw Ron, but the consumer freak in me wanted newer and better.
And the energy conservation freak in me wanted to run it most efficiently.

Yup, I'm sure as you venture further and further from your property you'll find more and more differences. You might even, gasp, start cooking inside from time to time.

Ron
Old 11-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And the energy conservation freak in me wanted to run it most efficiently.

Yup, I'm sure as you venture further and further from your property you'll find more and more differences. You might even, gasp, start cooking inside from time to time.

Ron
I had wanted to find something 12V, but in the end realized that there would not be a heck of a lot difference in draw, not enough to be bothered with, and we had the inverter anyway.

Our land is really only used for weekend excursions a bunch of times a year. Great spot for that. Otherwise we do tend to travel, and this last year on 4 trips spent 46 days on the road with our temp trailer, which is just about a record for us. I would bet we see a huge increase in that in 2017, as I have already made some moves to facilitate semi-retirement.

That rainy trip in Oregon I was referring to saw us cook a fair bit inside, and is in fact the biggest reason that Lisa really wants an oven (as we had on in the temp trailer), and who am I to argue if I get fed good. We don't do a lot of baked desserts, but she does do lots of baked dinners. Just have to dig deeper into the pocket book as I work on the trailer is all. I guess I can leave behind the oven stone I use for baking in my BBQ, eh?
Old 11-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
in fact the biggest reason that Lisa really wants an oven (as we had on in the temp trailer), and who am I to argue if I get fed good.
In the end most of these types of decisions come down to personal likes and usage. In my priorities getting fed good is very high.

Ron
Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I made a PVC mast for my Winegard antenna. Assembled it stands attached to the rear bumper. I don’t like it. Need something simpler, quicker to set up. Them telescoping metal antenna masts look great, the price, not so much. Was putting about in the Home Depot plumbing aisle today, looking at plastic pipes. Just by chance I discovered that the PVC 1-inch telescopes beautifully into the 1¼-inch PVC! A Viola-moment.

Have been thinking about a short mast that wedges into the Dometic awning top bracket. This might work. Too cold outside today for a field test.
Attached Thumbnails
AntMast1.jpg   Antmast01a.jpg   AntMast2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron,
I think you are totally on to something. I built an entire set of bunk beds in the 17B out of 3/4" PVC. Stuff is amazing and most anything can be built with it. Weatherproof, light, hollowed out for cable runs. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Myron,
I built an entire set of bunk beds in the 17B out of 3/4" PVC. Stuff is amazing and most anything can be built with it.
Definitely handy stuff, I built a kayak dolly out of it.

Ron
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I described the outside OTA TV antenna that I previously put together for our EggCamper on another thread (PVC pipe sleeve clamped to the spare tire holder, extension painter pole, ClearStream 2V antenna) and promised pictures. Seems like this is as good a time and place as any to post the photos I finally remembered to take on our last outing. Cheap to make, super easy to set up and take down, stands up well to gusty wind, works great.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09124.jpg   DSC09125.jpg   DSC09126a.jpg   DSC09127a.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Finally a day of decent weather so here's my installed telescoping PVC mast. I like that it stands so tall. Obvious question is will mast stay wedged in place if the awning is deployed and there's no arm there to strap the lower pipe? Guessing not. In that case I might need to fall back to your solutions, War Eagle and Ron of BC. Seems however, that that vertical spare tire post leaves very little room for attaching a 2-inch telescoping pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Mast-PVC1.jpg   mast-pvc2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

Have you investigated tire stands like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Go-T.../dp/B00JXSRWSI
There are various manufacturers that offer various styles and sizes.
I'm not sure about the "Machine wash and hang dry" instructions!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Have you investigated tire stands like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Go-T.../dp/B00JXSRWSI
There are various manufacturers that offer various styles and sizes.
I'm not sure about the "Machine wash and hang dry" instructions!
That is what I intend to do. That way when not needed, everything can be stowed.

Though pricier, this one with the side flanges looks like it will flex less. I will likely just get my welder to make up what I need. I would likely just put it under a stabilizer.

https://flagpolesetc.com/wheel-stand...oles-225-or-25
Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #16

Removed spare, bought a 3-foot length of 1¼" PVC ($3.29) and two U-bolts ($4.58). It's a snug but satisfactory, quite unobtrusive, fit. Telescoping mast (1-inch) slide-drops right in permanently attached holder. I'll be having my Manhattan now (shaken - not stirred.)
Attached Thumbnails
Amast-1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I like it Myron. Cheaper than the flagpole holder I use with the receiver.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"

Guess we'll all be down in ur trailer at Quartzsite watching TV!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Removed spare, bought a 3-foot length of 1¼" PVC ($3.29) and two U-bolts ($4.58). It's a snug but satisfactory, quite unobtrusive, fit. Telescoping mast (1-inch) slide-drops right in permanently attached holder. I'll be having my Manhattan now (shaken - not stirred.)
Looks great, Myron. I made my PVC pipe shorter so it was easier to slide the aluminum extension painter pole in (snug fit). I can't tell on yours, but I glued a PVC end cap on the bottom of the PVC pipe to keep the pole from sliding out the bottom, then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the cap so rain water and dew could drain. Where I was afraid the pole might rub on my belly band, I slid an 8" long piece of 1" ID foam pipe insulation over the pole to pad things and prevent rubbing. If you look at post #12, photo #4, you can just barely see the foam piece if you look close. Oh and if a breeze starts twisting the antenna around, tightening the wingnuts will pinch the PVC fittings just enough to hold it in position. Dale
Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post

Guess we'll all be down in ur trailer at Quartzsite watching TV!
It's going to be interesting. Several of us with new antenna set-ups.

I'm not really that optimistic. TV fool shows that there are multiple stations to the North and South but they're a long way away. It also shows some about 10 miles away but I think that they may be repeaters. Not sure if they send out a strong signal or not. One way or the other, with the variety of set-ups we have we should know for sure if it's possible to get a signal there.

Ron