Rear cabinet dimensions in new 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Rear cabinet dimensions in new 21

I’m wondering if someone with a new (2nd Gen) 21 could measure their rear overhead cabinet for me. The ETI website says the door opening is 6.5” high and the cabinet is 10” high. It looks taller in the “center section” where the door actually is than it is at the sides. Can someone give me an overall height from the INSIDE bottom of the cabinet to the vinyl covering on the roof? I need to make sure I can fit a mini-split A/C unit that is 10-5/16” tall inside the cabinet like you see in the second photo. Width and depth are not an issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
1C87815B-C66B-487E-9BC5-E96770EC1681.jpeg   42E4B67D-9B5A-44D4-8103-028EF3C19EBE.jpeg  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Mine is 10 3/4" just inside the front between the vinyl at the top & the floor of the cabinet. There is interior wiring running across the frame for the door (I believe for the radio speakers). Another possible problem - it almost immediately begins to taper because of the curve of the trailer roof. 3" towards the back it is already down to 10", less than 8" at the rear.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Mine is 10 3/4" just inside the front between the vinyl at the top & the floor of the cabinet. There is interior wiring running across the frame for the door (I believe for the radio speakers). Another possible problem - it almost immediately begins to taper because of the curve of the trailer roof. 3" towards the back it is already down to 10", less than 8" at the rear.
Thank you Jon! Your measurement confirms that the unit should fit without a custom cabinet being made. Checking with ETI too just in case. I appreciate you noting the taper. I did realize that would be the case as it happens at the front of the classic 19 too where I did my own install. I'm only looking to recess the unit max 5" or so and the vinyl can compress a little.

If you don't mind what is the height of the lip at the bottom of the door opening? I'm hoping that ETI can construct the cabinet without a lip so essentially I'm sliding the unit in onto a shelf. Otherwise I'm going to have to cut it off. Since this will be someones new trailer I'd like to minimize the surgery.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

Found some early build photos of the rear of a 21. They put some serious framing in for the cabinet. Working with the owner and ETI to see if they will provide custom woodwork to provide the opening framed as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8149.jpg  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

ETI denied the request of the owner to modify the cabinet supports to accommodate the height needed for the mini-split. This will make the modification a bit more difficult, but not impossible. Look for some posts in the Spring in my Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit thread that shows the install of a Fujitsu 9RL2 unit in and on the rear of a new 21.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

They did agree to modify the cabinet opening width slightly for $75 which will still be very helpful.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
They did agree to modify the cabinet opening width slightly for $75 which will still be very helpful.
But it does require a signed modification document basically saying this is a change to the standard production process and the cabinet doors are made by another manufacturer. So it might cause a delay of up to two weeks, but ETI takes a lot of pride in meeting completion dates. I am sure ETI can work with this change just like it does with so many other custom change requests. I think ETI has a good chance to finish by the completion date and if it does take a few more days to complete so be it.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I had asked for the door on my overhead cabinet to be widened and was told no. I did not get stereo speakers so that could not be the reason. I'm seeing things on the forum I had asked for and was told no, where others receive a yes.

I've come to the realization some buyers get a Yes or No on some things depending on the sales representative you get. My suggestion to new buyers is to write down the list of items you were told no and get second confirmation directly from Reace or Tammy.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Sorry I took so long to get back on the lip measurement. While it is 3/4" from the cabinet floor to the top of the lip, I doubt it can be reduced all that much since the lip is part of the structure for the framing of the cabinet. Unless some serious framing changes (angle aluminum across the entire opening?) are made, removing or thinning it would probably cause some structural problems. I have no idea what the internal section of the AC weighs, but it looks like the lower framing is a significant part of the support.

Good luck with the project!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Sorry I took so long to get back on the lip measurement. While it is 3/4" from the cabinet floor to the top of the lip, I doubt it can be reduced all that much since the lip is part of the structure for the framing of the cabinet. Unless some serious framing changes (angle aluminum across the entire opening?) are made, removing or thinning it would probably cause some structural problems. I have no idea what the internal section of the AC weighs, but it looks like the lower framing is a significant part of the support.

Good luck with the project!
Thanks Jon. I cut the lower lip out during my install as wide as the unit and hoping to do the same on the 21. Will reinforce if necessary. The indoor unit is only 16# spread across a base that is ~32” wide by ~5” deep when recessed.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
But it does require a signed modification document basically saying this is a change to the standard production process and the cabinet doors are made by another manufacturer. So it might cause a delay of up to two weeks, but ETI takes a lot of pride in meeting completion dates. I am sure ETI can work with this change just like it does with so many other custom change requests. I think ETI has a good chance to finish by the completion date and if it does take a few more days to complete so be it.
Jake: I noticed you said the cabinet door is made by another manufacturer, but you can still get the standard door mounted over the smaller hole or don’t have the door mounted at all. Would this small detail change there being the chance of a delay?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Jake: I noticed you said the cabinet door is made by another manufacturer, but you can still get the standard door mounted over the smaller hole or don’t have the door mounted at all. Would this small detail change there being the chance of a delay?
Dave,

I will use the standard door so no change there. Only the wood frame support behind the opening needs to be repositioned an inch and the face panel board opening cut adjusted for the same one inch. But some mod work will take quite a bit more than that and ETI will not look at mods until trailer goes into production so with no lead time it can very likely cause delay. That's why the required document signing and it's understandable. But I don't think my mod should cause much delay since the most "finished" component involved is the door and there is no change to that. The panel cutting I don't know if ETI does it or the other manufacturer does but either way it's 1" cut adjustment for 6" long (or two 1/2" x 6"). Hope this will be the case.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote