Recessed vs non recessed stove tops - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Recessed vs non recessed stove tops

Working on my build sheet and will probably go with the Suburban 2 burner SS recessed set up. But, because its recessed, does anyone find that it's sometimes difficult to fit and move pans around? Another question - is a cel phone antennae worthwhile? Do they really work well enough to justify? Thanks for the input.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Working on my build sheet and will probably go with the Suburban 2 burner SS recessed set up. But, because its recessed, does anyone find that it's sometimes difficult to fit and move pans around? Another question - is a cel phone antennae worthwhile? Do they really work well enough to justify? Thanks for the input.
I can't speak to the stove, but a cell antenna combined with an amplifier (for example, a WeBoost cradle) provided service in many places where my jetpack alone did not. It also often provided the difference between 3G & 4G coverage, resulting in faster speed. I added a WirEng Boat Antenna.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Dan, what cooktop do you mean? You'd have to supply anything but the stock one to Escape prior to the build, and they'd have to agree to install it.

The stock one is not recessed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Yes, I know that. It's the one that others have installed and they get it from O'Connor RV down the road from ETI. Yes, they will install it. You purchase the glass top separate from the cooktop. Thanks for the input.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Yes, I know that. It's the one that others have installed and they get it from O'Connor RV down the road from ETI. Yes, they will install it. You purchase the glass top separate from the cooktop. Thanks for the input.
I see. Can't find any info on the model number, just images of the black one on Google with links to the glass cover only.

Not knowing how low the burner grates sit below the edge, I don't know if it will limit your pan size. I suspect so.

We still like the recessed ones though, because of the gains in useable counter space when not cooking.

We installed a Dickinson recessed one a while back, in order to gain the counter space, for the piezo ignition (no matches) and the higher heat output. We love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
We have the Suburban with the glass top and love it. I understand your concern about fitting pans within the confines of the space. But I haven't had any trouble. The flush counter space is amazing. I put a placemat over it (almost covers completely) and you don't even know it is there. I have included a picture...note we switched the location of sink and cooktop. We simply wanted the convenience of counter space as we come in the door.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0732.jpg  

cslcs25 + H46Driver + Abby +Meggi
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cslcs25 View Post
We have the Suburban with the glass top and love it. I understand your concern about fitting pans within the confines of the space. But I haven't had any trouble. The flush counter space is amazing. I put a placemat over it (almost covers completely) and you don't even know it is there. I have included a picture...note we switched the location of sink and cooktop. We simply wanted the convenience of counter space as we come in the door.
Hey, lovely set up! Love that black countertop as well. (We have black too.) Did you know you can change out those screwtop covers? Red to match the placemat or turquoise for the salt/pepper shakes. Heck, they might even have stainless (or silver) to match your sink. Or get all and change 'em around from time to time.

I thought about the recessed ones, but figured we'd spent enough money on other stuff. Word of warning on the temperature control knobs on the standard stove. My handles on my pans got hot enough to melt the knobs! They're not completely melted but you can definitely see something's going on with 'em. I'll replace them at some point.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I can't speak to the stove, but a cell antenna combined with an amplifier (for example, a WeBoost cradle) provided service in many places where my jetpack alone did not. It also often provided the difference between 3G & 4G coverage, resulting in faster speed. I added a WirEng Boat Antenna.
Dan, this is our experience also. We coupled the WeBoost with a truckers antenna, mounted by ETI.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cslcs25 View Post
Wow! That is very sleek! Part of the reason many want your model is for more counter space but you have made even more. It all looks sooo nice!

Your point of having a place to put items at the door is a good one and one almost never mentioned when considering options. We use the counter across from the door on the drawer stack, and also the top drawer for little items. But when cooking outside, that space by the door can be very handy, I am sure. Many have a counter extension at the door that can serve that purpose but we do not. Of course, some may use their sink cover. Or they may do something like yours.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote