RecPro Air Conditioners No Soft Start Ever ! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
RecPro Air Conditioners No Soft Start Ever !

I just got off the phone with RecPro and learned that their Houghton ACs all models never had a Soft Start! As per their manager because of the low amp draw they don't need one. I started questioning them when member MillyBob couldn't run his 9.5K AC with a Honda 2200i. I started looking at them when the Coleman Mach 10s were not available 4-5 months ago. At time RecPro's website stated:
" PTC Soft Start technology allows for limited amps or generators in operation".
Currently it states: "Low amp draws allows for limited amps or generators in operation, rather than adding on a soft-start unit." I sent RecPro copies of their older and current web page and mentioned members of the forum I subscribe to were unable to operate a 9.5k with there Honda 2200i. As some have stated it may have been because of the altitude but believing that a soft start was included and the smaller size led us to our decision to purchase the units.
I spoke with Bob (MillyBob) and there doesn't appear to be room to add a soft start. I installed a Micro Air kit in my Casita 5 years ago and if memory serves me right I had to remove a capacitor. I don't have my unit, its waiting for me in WA so I don't have a manual to know if a wiring diagram is included.

It may be possible to build a small box outside of the shroud to house a soft start. I know Bob and I would appreciate any advice from those more knowledgeable. Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote