Refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19'
Refrigerator

We are in the process of deciding options for a 2013 19B we are ordering. I'm looking for comment on whether the 4.3 v.s. the 6.7 refrigerator option is best. I know you lose storage with the 6.7 and the microwave has to be relocated. I'm wondering if the loss of storage is worth the increase in size of the refrigerator. I have to make a decision soon so any comments either way would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I wish we would have decided on the 6.7 instead of the smaller one and we would gladly give up the microwave completely for that bigger refrigerator. A small microwave can be stored in the TV or under the bed...

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree, the bigger refer is a plus and I'm dropping the microwave in the new 21'.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19'
Boy, thanks for both of your quick comments, it certainly helps with our decision. Since we are just learning and have to make decisions for a November build, your comments are very helpful.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Another perspective:

We went with the 4.3 - no microwave. We have been very happy with our decision. There are only the two of us but we have some "special needs" (food sensitivities that require a little more space than usual.) We had more than enough room, including freezer space, for all the stuff we needed for a 10 day trip in July.

We are not heavy into beverages, but always had extra room for a couple of IPAs, a bottle of wine or some spritzers - our rule being: if you take one out, you replace it with another to cool for the next time.

We NEVER missed the microwave, but brought a toaster oven that we plugged in outside in the screen room when hooked up. That was really nice. The space where the microwave would be put is left empty - with a door it becomes a pantry. The smaller fridge also allows another smaller compartment above the pantry, which has been very useful for keeping documents, manuals, shopping bags or more stuff

We also have a 12 volt cooler (Canadian Tire special) plugged into the cab of our truck when on the road; for juice, snacks etc. We thought we could use that as extra space if we didn't have enough room in the 4.3 but have never needed it.

Hope that helps - I guess it all depends on how many are in your group and what your own needs are.

Good luck with your decisions!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I've been thinking about this as well and had just about decided to go with the large frig and skip the microwave. I never thought about just putting one under the bed -- This leads me to a question about plugging things in outside. I'm assuming there is a 120 volt outside?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
yes there is an outlet just about under the kitchen on the outside.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thanks Jim
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I opted for the large (5.0 cu ft) refrigerator in my 17B, and even though I travel alone, I seem to keep it filled. I spend months at a time on the road and the extra space is handy.

I also went without a microwave, and instead, use a steamer for vegetables & a large toaster oven (A Crusinart TOB 155). I don't miss the microwave at all.