Refrigerator with separate freezer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Refrigerator with separate freezer?

I wish I could see some close up photos of what the standard 21' includes. The few tiny shots of the inside of the trailer from the ETI website are difficult to see. I just noticed that in the tiny photo that the refrigerator looks like it has one door and the freezer is not separate which got me confused because the one that we went into at the Bluebonnet rally had a separate freezer above the refrig. I really liked that.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Standard at the moment is the 2 door, can't say about the one that'll be in the 2017's.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's a picture I borrowed from Steve Clark's posting in the It's Friday thread
Attached Thumbnails
SteveClark.jpeg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

Oh, thanks for the update. I did notice that one of the options is the "updated" refrig and I didn't know what that meant. Do any of you?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Here's the skinny on the new fridges for 2017, based on information that Escape has released so far. The stock model for the 19 is the Dometic RM2554, which is a single door, 5.0 CF capacity. You can upgrade to the DM2663, which is a double door with separate freezer, and 6 CF capacity. I assume that on the 21, the DM2663 is standard.

Both are 'equivalent' to a climate class rating of N or "normal" - although they don't actually have a climate class rating. They don't use one, because it's an EU standard, and these fridges are not sold in the EU. The 'equivalent to N rating' means they can operate better than an SN or "subnormal" rated fridge when the ambient temperatures are higher. The 8 series fridges that they're replacing are SN rated. So, this is probably going to be a significant improvement in cooling.

The link for the RM2554: Americana Single Door RM 2554 LB - Dometic Corp

The link for the DM2663: Americana Plus DM 2663 RB - Dometic Corp

Note that these fridges are not available on the 2016 models, because they won't fit through the entry door. The new mold designs feature a wider door, and the Americana fridges will fit through it. I suspect that the extra door width was a big design consideration for Reace, allowing him to use a better fridge and reduce the number of issues he's had with the current fridge models used.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great summary, Robert.

I just wanna know if they are offering the optional Ice Maker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great summary, Robert.

I just wanna know if they are offering the optional Ice Maker.
Why not? That'd be a cool option. Of course, you'd need to run an additional water line, but the dimensions are the same....
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I wish I could see some close up photos of what the standard 21' includes. The few tiny shots of the inside of the trailer from the ETI website are difficult to see. I just noticed that in the tiny photo that the refrigerator looks like it has one door and the freezer is not separate which got me confused because the one that we went into at the Bluebonnet rally had a separate freezer above the refrig.
The photos on the Escape company website tend to be out of date, and are now even further off than usual for those purchasing the 2017 version. For actual interior configuration and appearance of trailers currently being constructed, the build-in-progress photos that Escape supplies to owners (traditionally sent on Fridays) are helpful and that It's Friday thread is useful because new owners share many of these photos ... although there is no reasonable way to search it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The photos on the Escape company website tend to be out of date, and are now even further off than usual for those purchasing the 2017 version. For actual interior configuration and appearance of trailers currently being constructed, the build-in-progress photos that Escape supplies to owners (traditionally sent on Fridays) are helpful and that It's Friday thread is useful because new owners share many of these photos ... although there is no reasonable way to search it.
Yeah and the same photo is duplicated. I hope they don't do that when they finally add photos of the new models.

Keep in mind that any trailers you see in the "It's Friday" thread will still be the 2016 models. Unless someone takes a factory tour, snaps a ton of photos and uploads them here, you're not going to see photos of the 2017 version for a while. Although, hopefully somebody will post lots of photos from the rally that's coming up soon!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

For those attending the rally, PLEASE take lots of close up shots of everyrhing and let us know what is standard and what is an option.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The "Friday" photos were not being taken on Fridays. Maybe there will be some tomorrow.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Here is a picture of the new 5.0 cuft fridge going in the 19's. Hope this helps! . Sorry it's sideways, couldn't figure out how to get it right side up.

I fixed it... Donna D.
Attached Thumbnails
Frig.jpg  
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Brian I am curious . I measured my doorway and have a good 22 in . I will be going to camping world soon and I was going to measure the Americana frig if one removed the door . Would you then be able to get the Americana in the door . Just wanted to know . My frig is now satisfactory now . I just will file this information away . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian I am curious . I measured my doorway and have a good 22 in . I will be going to camping world soon and I was going to measure the Americana frig if one removed the door . Would you then be able to get the Americana in the door . Just wanted to know . My frig is now satisfactory now . I just will file this information away . Pat
That would be good information to know Pat! And I would appreciate it. While my single door works just fine too, Ten Forward is my forever trailer and would consider the Americana. I do not like the newer two door. The idea of needing to open the door to change the temperature is a major design flaw (IMHO). Why when the temperature is going up would you want to open the door so you can use the controls? Nutz. The Americana has the controls on the outside frame, just like the single door
Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Here's what the manuals show for dimensions, existing RMX8555 and the new XM2663 per Rbryan4. Note the widths.

22" = 558.8 mm
Attached Thumbnails
Old Fridge.jpg   New Fridge.jpg  
Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #16
Site Team

I don't understand? Which of the three width measurements is it?

486 mm = 19.1338583 inches
525 mm = 20.6692913 inches
632 mm = 24.8818898 inches
Old 05-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #17

I agree with Donna that it's nuts to have the controls on the inside of the refrigerator. Are y'all saying that the one in the 21 foot will have the controls on the inside or the outside?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't understand? Which of the three width measurements is it?
Donna, it looks to me like the first two are the RMx series (two sizes), and the last one is the XM2663.

486 mm = 19.1338583 inches
525 mm = 20.6692913 inches
632 mm = 24.8818898 inches
Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I agree with Donna that it's nuts to have the controls on the inside of the refrigerator. Are y'all saying that the one in the 21 foot will have the controls on the inside or the outside?
The controls on my two-door Dometic (trailer was new in Sept 2015) are indeed only available by opening the door. I agree it's nuts. What were the designers thinking?

I have no idea about the fridges ETI will use in the 2017 models.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
If I'm not mistaken (which, knowing me I am) the new fridge looks a lot like the fridge we had in our 2007 Casita. As far as cooling goes, if they are similar, it did very well.

However, while Donna may not like the controls on the inside of the door, depending on the height placement (the Casita's was a 4 cubic foot fridge and was lower) we found that a number of times, we would brush up against the controls and turn the fridge off without knowing it. Of course, the Casita is much narrower than the Escape, which often necessitated someone turning sideways and leaning up against something to let the other person get by. So in thinking about it, maybe there will be no issue...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote