registering my travel trailer in Arizona - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We did try another location and got the same story. Currently there are only a few offices that are doing any inspections at all. We were told by a third party DMV service that we only needed a Level 1 inspection, which is basically a VIN number verification because we have the appropriate paperwork. Meanwhile we'll just get everything set up and ready for our first trip in October. She needs a bath too. She got pretty dirty on the transport vehicle between Sumas and Mesa.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
No worries, set up a Level 3 inspection appointment. The inspector during your appointment will determine you are a level 2 inspection and will do your inspection right then and there. I had heard that there is a DMV office near West World in Scottsdale that does level 3 inspections all day long. It is adjacent to the auto auction houses. But that was then, not necessarily now.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #23

Yep, we have plenty to do with the trailer until the inspection.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #24

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
AZ title

I only use a contract DMV store and have not had any of our trailers inspected. Although I did have to show one person where the paper work said it was built to the US specs. Go to a place other than state DMV office, always open, no line to speak of and it costs maybe $20.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Never really thought about it - but an Escape is a gray market trailer.
I'll respectfully disagree. As stated by the National Consumer Law Center (and IME the commonly accepted definition of the term):

"Gray market vehicles are ones that were not manufactured for sale in this country but are sold in the United States." (emphasis added)

I suggest that the defining characteristic is not that a vehicle has never been titled in the US, but rather is that the vehicle was not manufactured for sale in the US, and even AZ's code seems to acknowledge that.

When, as in the case of kathytony1985 and the far vast majority of US buyers, a new Escape is sold and delivered (whether in Sumas, WA, or elsewhere in the US) by ETI to a US customer, that Escape trailer is in fact manufactured for sale in the US and is delivered with all federally required documentation demonstrating that fact (USDOT Form HS-7 and the VIN placard on the trailer).

Neither lack of a previous US title nor a local official's failure to recognize or accept the federally compliant documentation makes kathytony1985's Escape or any other Escape that's originally sold to a US customer by ETI a "gray market" trailer by any commonly accepted definition of that term, or even AZ's (it's an "imported" trailer distinct from a "gray market" trailer).

IMO it's a critical distinction, not just a matter of semantics. No one will benefit and some may be harmed if the (erroneous) notion that Escape trailers are "gray market" in the US is promulgated.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I only use a contract DMV store and have not had any of our trailers inspected. Although I did have to show one person where the paper work said it was built to the US specs. Go to a place other than state DMV office, always open, no line to speak of and it costs maybe $20.
AZjack
AWe did go to a third-party DMV store. They said all we needed was a Level 1 inspection. The AZ AND will only give us a Level II inspection. This the appt in 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #27

The Declaration Form OMB No. 2127-0002 Public Law 100-562 a form from the US Department of Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration form states the vehicle or item conforms... and that there is a sticker affixed by the manufacturer to said equipment... in accordance with NHTSA Regulations. Even after pointing this out to several people, they denied us a Level I inspection. So, we are playing their game and made an appt for a Level II/III, which I am sure the Sworn Officer will say is not needed and sign off so we can register our trailer. I really dislike dealing with the AZ MVD and have avoided it up to this point by going to third-party vendors for our automobiles and Driver Licenses, but they are not authorized to do any level of inspections so had to use the AZ MVD.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
.... So, we are playing their game and made an appt for .....
So very sorry to read of your registration trials and tribulations.

I hope this is soon resolved, relegated to the stuff of campfire tales, and you can move forward to enjoy your new Escape for many years to come.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
So very sorry to read of your registration trials and tribulations.

I hope this is soon resolved, relegated to the stuff of campfire tales, and you can move forward to enjoy your new Escape for many years to come.
Us too! We are looking forward to it!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #30

Quote:
AZjack
We were booted out of 2 contract DMV offices when we bought our Escape brand new. Contact offices are not allowed to inspect ("you idiot", was implied). We tried another with the same boot, at that point we were trying to get away from the grey market label MVD had suggested that the Escape trailer was. Grey market according to MVD is a one off, not built to specs by the State or Feds. Even though paperwork says NAFTA and NAFTA is given as an example of how something is not grey market, the low level MVD paper pushers kept saying grey market. The MVD inspector was happy to inform us the NAFTA paperwork clearly shows it is not grey market. Sometimes, you just have to follow the proceedures.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #31

Yep! We'll get through it, you and others have. ��
Old 09-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Goodness, I had never heard of gray market vehicle and appreciate tdf-texas putting in info although I had looked it up to learn. As another resident of AZ, I will have to undergo this when our 5.0 is finally ready, so good to understand some of the issues so that we are not surprised when our time does come. Thank you KathyTony1985 for presenting this info. I hope that this all turns out well once you get through the frustrating inspection(s).
Jim_and_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Yep! We'll get through it, you and others have. ��
I feel your pain. Almost 6 months here in California and still no plate or registration. I think I’m in the home stretch though….
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Jim's advice re ETI paperwork and insurance coverage documentation is "spot on." With the former, you can get a temporary tag; with the latter you can sleep at night (along with showing the powers that be you're serious and not some itinerant scofflaw).

Then you need to find a DMV office that can perform the inspection you need (I forget which Roman numeral applied). My experience, after getting an appointment, etc. for the Surprise office, took me to another pair of appointments (one each inspection then separate registration) at the Glendale office.

It's confusing, complicated and confounding, but once you get to discuss your issues (and, assuming have all your ducks lined up correctly) with a live human being, you may well find them helpful and knowledgable as I did.

Best of luck!

Jon (not the electronics wizard one) in AZ
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
Jim's advice re ETI paperwork and insurance coverage documentation is "spot on." With the former, you can get a temporary tag; with the latter you can sleep at night (along with showing the powers that be you're serious and not some itinerant scofflaw).

Then you need to find a DMV office that can perform the inspection you need (I forget which Roman numeral applied). My experience, after getting an appointment, etc. for the Surprise office, took me to another pair of appointments (one each inspection then separate registration) at the Glendale office.

It's confusing, complicated and confounding, but once you get to discuss your issues (and, assuming have all your ducks lined up correctly) with a live human being, you may well find them helpful and knowledgable as I did.

Best of luck!

Jon (not the electronics wizard one) in AZ
Yeah, In sure the sworn officer inspector will make it happen. Just have to wait for the appt on Sept 29
Old 09-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #36

Update 09-29-21

Waited 2 weeks for a less than 5 minute Level II inspection. FYI - The sworn officer walked out, looked at the VIN # and walked back inside. On our way now to the third party license service to pay our taxes and get this thing registered!
Old 09-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #37

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
AZ title process

In April of this year I went to a contract office here in Tucson with only the paper work from Escape and walked out with my registration. I think the state then sent me the title and plate in a week or so. It used to be I would walk out with the plate and title. The training of the people in Tucson area must be different then other parts of the state.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #38

It must be. They would not do that here in the metro Phoenix area. Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #39

Quote:
In April of this year I went to a contract office here in Tucson with only the paper work from Escape and walked out with my registration. I think the state then sent me the title and plate in a week or so. It used to be I would walk out with the plate and title. The training of the people in Tucson area must be different then other parts of the state.
AZjack
The Prescott DMV office were the ones who 1st allowed us 90 day registration, in case we had trouble getting the Escape registered during our narrow window back in AZ after buying the Escape. A supervisor kept insisting that NAFTA paperwork meant grey market. We had already been ejected from 2 contract DMV offices so decided to just take our punishment with a so called Level III inspection. Which turned into a Level II inspection of 5 minutes length. And 15 minutes later we walked out of the DMV office with title, tags, a license plate, and had paid our sales tax on the trailer. Guess Tucson is the place to register as Phnx and Prescott can really throw the inspection boogeyman at you. Mind you this was now 3 years ago when AZ had DMV offices open for walkins.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #40

2 weeks ago the clerical staff at the front desks stated our trailer was "Gray Market". Today the Sworn Officer said our trailer is "Imported". Guess that is why they are paid more. ;-)