Reminds me of an escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Reminds me of an escape 21

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ravel-trailer/

This layout caught my eye as being familiar (The 19cb). Then i realized its a flipped Escape 21 essentially. The MSRP is over twice the price of the Escape, and since Thor owns Airstream, i doubt its built well enough to justify the price.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post

This layout caught my eye as being familiar (The 19cb). Then i realized its a flipped Escape 21 essentially. The MSRP is over twice the price of the Escape, and since Thor owns Airstream, i doubt its built well enough to justify the price.
I agree it does look kinda like a flipped Escape 21. Let's see: The Airstream has a smaller bed, smaller dinette, smaller tanks, weighs more, and cost twice as much. I think I made the right choice in order the Escape 21 (Not that I could have afforded the Airstream anyway). I do think Airstreams are cool trailers, but I think Escape's are cooler.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Interesting. Clever multi-position use of bathroom door. More room by the bed or more room in the bathroom.

What's with the bathroom sink? Do you reach over the toilet or exit the bathroom and to use it?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I do like the rear hatch though. It's been done obviously on some fiberglass trailers - like the HC1. It would be cool to see on a 21 or a 5.0TA to have a hatch off the rear dinette. Just dreaming...
Old 11-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't see any counter space.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You're right, less counter space than the 21 - more along the lines of the 19. The slideout microwave is interesting though.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen.JPG  
Old 11-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hi: gbaglo... But, But, I was offered a thousand dollas off. That's a lot of off!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The bed is bigger in my 1988 16' Scamp.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

This layout caught my eye as being familiar (The 19cb). Then i realized its a flipped Escape 21 essentially.
Yes, I agree. There are only a limited number of ways to arrange the elements of an RV in the narrow space available. Putting the bath in one corner and the bed beside it in this orientation has been common for decades, but most commonly appears in the rear of small motorhomes.

The Bigfoot 25B21RB (21' Rear Bedroom) has the same arrangement.

Quote:
The MSRP is over twice the price of the Escape, and since Thor owns Airstream, i doubt its built well enough to justify the price.
Thor has owned Airstream since 1980. If Thor is death to quality in RVs as many suggest, that means the last 37 years of Airstream production have been junk. Perhaps true, but that's the majority of Airstreams ever built, and probably the vast majority of Airstreams on the road. You'd think the world would have caught on by now..

I doubt that the quality justifies the price, but the same is true of most "premium" products, including cars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The amount paid for an Airstream may be far below the manufacturer's suggested price.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I do like the rear hatch though. It's been done obviously on some fiberglass trailers - like the HC1. It would be cool to see on a 21 or a 5.0TA to have a hatch off the rear dinette. Just dreaming...
Yes, in some locations it'd be great to have an opening rear hatch just like the really big guys with their rear sundecks. But as the 21 and 5.0TA folks are fond of telling us, they can get the view anyway with their rear dinette.

I did enjoy that feature on the Sprinter van.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PA041009_resize.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Never owned one but I have a friend who has one and they are nice inside. He sees high quality and good resale.

When I look at them I see an overpriced product and a potential leak at every rivet.

After dealing with water damage in my last RV, design and leak potential is always on my mind.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
When traveling count more Airsteams then any manufacturer . In Fiberglass lots of Casita then Scamps . But the Airstream out number others . Most Bambi's up 19 's to 27 's . Lots of new ones . Even though the prices are high , they are selling that is for sure . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hmmm- not out experience Pat. We see a lot of stickies out there overall with the usual brands, however Airstream trailers aren't the majority at all. No wonder given their very high price and the need for a Duramax or equivalent tow.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hmmm- not out experience Pat. We see a lot of stickies out there overall with the usual brands, however Airstream trailers aren't the majority at all. No wonder given their very high price and the need for a Duramax or equivalent tow.
Yah, sort of agree with you. Lots of stickies for sure, and more and more some really big stickies. After the stickies though my guess would be Casitas are the most common ones. Hard to tell for sure though. We tend to not pay much attention to stickies and f.g. trailers catch our eye more.

Ron
Old 11-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
Site Team

Stickies of all brands (alot of junk) and alot of Jaycos. That's what we usually see. Then, the behemoth "Montana" 5th wheels, the Class A's, Airstreams, popups, and finally the very rare indeed fiberglass trailers.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
When traveling count more Airsteams then any manufacturer . In Fiberglass lots of Casita then Scamps . But the Airstream out number others .
Casita and Scamp are certainly the volume sellers among moulded fiberglass travel trailers.

Among travel trailers overall, all of moulded fiberglass brands together are still an insignificant fraction. While Airstream has been around essentially forever, they are not common; Pat, I suspect that you're counting what you notice, rather than what is on the road and in the campgrounds. The last time that I checked, there were only a handful of Airstream dealers in Canada, and the one that I saw only had two Airstreams in stock, among hundreds of units... but every city has multiple RV dealerships with piles of trailers available.

A 2015 article says that Airstream's production rate is 50 per week, which would be about 2,500 per year. One source says that total RV production (which is mostly travel trailers) for 2015 was 374,246 (for the U.S., since this is from RVIA)... so Airstream might be one percent of trailer sales. Airstreams undoubtedly have a longer useful life than the typical box, but not by a factor of a hundred.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ross we were traveling on the 5 North Twice going up North during the week August and Sept .this past summer . We counted more then 20 Airsteams , 9 Casita's and 1 Scamp .we couldn't believe how many of the new Air streams . Probably where , time makes the difference . Going all the way to Washington last 4 years on the 5 in the summer ,Airstream and Casita are the winners . A few Olivers and Scamps . All 4 years have seen about 10 Escapes on the road . The ones I mention do stick out pretty good . Pat
Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ross we were traveling on the 5 North Twice going up North during the week August and Sept .this past summer . We counted more then 20 Airsteams , 9 Casita's and 1 Scamp .we couldn't believe how many of the new Air streams . Probably where , time makes the difference . Going all the way to Washington last 4 years on the 5 in the summer ,Airstream and Casita are the winners . A few Olivers and Scamps . All 4 years have seen about 10 Escapes on the road . The ones I mention do stick out pretty good . Pat
Guess I wasn't clear really not interested in other trailers . Only the ones I mentioned . Really didn't check in campgrounds which I know are full of Class A, class C's and 5th wheels . My kids have a huge new 5 th wheel . Too busy with family and friends to pay attention to the rest .the Airstreams and fiberglass coming at you down the road you can't miss . Pat
Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I guess it depends on where you live....here on the east coast of Canada, it is only once in awhile you see something other than a stickie. Here an airstream or fiberglass are a bit of a novelty.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote