Retirement - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re engineers...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #82

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Wow, there sure a lot of engineers here. I always wanted to be one.
Nice photo Greg, certainly looks like CPR 3001 locomotive. There were only five of this type of loco, no. 3003 set a speed record for steam locos in Canada of 112.5 m.p.h. in 1937. That record was not broken until 1976 by a diesel unit and the "Turbo train."

Now I have had the opportunity to ride in a locomotive but never actually take the controls. I worked 29 years for the C.P.R until I turned 50 then they didn't want me anymore. Now as mentioned in an earlier post I am happily retired for the second time.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Nice photo Greg, certainly looks like CPR 3001 locomotive. There were only five of this type of loco, no. 3003 set a speed record for steam locos in Canada of 112.5 m.p.h. in 1937. That record was not broken until 1976 by a diesel unit and the "Turbo train."

Now I have had the opportunity to ride in a locomotive but never actually take the controls. I worked 29 years for the C.P.R until I turned 50 then they didn't want me anymore. Now as mentioned in an earlier post I am happily retired for the second time.
Hi: emers382... My uncle Alf was the freight agent in Paris Ont. for the CPR and my Dad was a stationary engineer. He always had a head of steam up... but never went anywhere. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
My brother in law had a great and productive career in telecommunications. When that ended he applied to be head of telemetry and communications system for a major railroad. They asked him how he thought he could manage the job without any previous train experience. He said, well, after you train me as a locomotive engineer I'll know both sides of the business. They did and he now happily drives trains through the spiral tunnels etc. Sometimes childhood dreams do come true.

I call him an engineer squared.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #85

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
When I met Reace when picking up my 2011 Escape 17, we chatted waiting for some hitch parts to come in. When he found out that I was a retired educator, he said almost all his customers were either engineers or teachers. Wasn't sure why...
Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #86

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Retirement

Great thread - interesting and helpful!

I retired 5 months ago and I was also an engineer (biomedical) and more recently was a college professor and then a college dean. I am 55 and I am struggling a bit so this thread was most welcome. I know I’ll figure it all out, but I miss being useful and productive. I’m currently volunteering at the Pacific Wildlife Clinic feeding baby birds, looking into various mentoring opportunities, and working on my art.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #87

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: emers382... My uncle Alf was the freight agent in Paris Ont. for the CPR and my Dad was a stationary engineer. He always had a head of steam up... but never went anywhere. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
An old railroading phrase I always liked to describe blowhards:

“He had enough steam to blow the whistle, but not enough to pull the train ...”
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I met Reace when picking up my 2011 Escape 17, we chatted waiting for some hitch parts to come in. When he found out that I was a retired educator, he said almost all his customers were either engineers or teachers. Wasn't sure why...
I won't speculate on why educators would be over-represented in Escape's customer base. As for engineers, I imagine that any who are paying attention quickly identify the deficiencies and limitations of the typical stick built RV and gravitate to more robust alternatives. Then it's just a case of choosing between a fairly limited set of options. That's certainly how we ended up with an Escape.

I wonder if we count twice in Reace's analysis. I'm an engineer (first career) and an educator (second career). Jeanne is an engineer. We retired three years ago without regrets and without a backward look, aided in no small part by the ever increasing volume of absurdity, incompetence, and all-around bs offered up by our respective employers. Or maybe our ever decreasing tolerance for the same.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #89
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
.... aided in no small part by the ever increasing volume of absurdity, incompetence, and all-around bs offered up by our respective employers. Or maybe our ever decreasing tolerance for the same.
hey, I resemble that!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #90

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
I won't speculate on why educators would be over-represented in Escape's customer base. As for engineers, I imagine that any who are paying attention quickly identify the deficiencies and limitations of the typical stick built RV and gravitate to more robust alternatives. Then it's just a case of choosing between a fairly limited set of options. That's certainly how we ended up with an Escape.
I think you are right on the money! ME/Electrical by degree and Mfg Eng for 37 years.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #91

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Retirement is over rated all one does is go from a boss whom you can convince your way is the best way to one that there is no hope of winning an argument and has more work for you to do than one ever did before you retired
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I am really enjoying this thread--learning more about folks, especially those former engineers who are so helpful in sharing their knowledge.

I'm an 8-years-retired educator. I taught for 37 years and then spent that last 18 months as an assistant principal at the school where I'd taught for 21 years. It was a big leap of faith but was my favorite assignment of my whole career. However, doing it right required many 13 hr days, so I went out a year early. My pension after that length of time is more than adequate and my home is paid for. I've traveled a lot, and purchasing my 17A was the icing on the cake. For the first time in my life I don't have to worry about every penny and have what is (to me) a very modestly extravagant life.

As a friend quipped a bit ago, "Your house is no longer your permanent residence!". I enjoy both sets of granddaughters frequently. I figure if I'm lucky there will be lots of "sitting on the porch reminiscing" days so I take almost every opportunity for adventure.

I think that there are a lot of educator Escape owners because we tend do research on how to spend our hard-earned retirement funds, and appreciate a quality product.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #93

Trailer: TBD
It seems my chosen former profession as an REHS is under-represented here. Although, I have met both PEs and educators who were also REHS. Arguably, the profession draws from both education and engineering fields although I was neither.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Care-a-Vanners

We found something to do while we travel in retirement. We build houses for Habitat for Humanity in their Care-a-Vanner program. The Habitat affiliate provides a place to park our Escape and we work 5 to 6 hours a day building houses for a couple of weeks. It is fun, physical work with no pressure to hurry or do something beyond our capabilities.

If you are interested, google Care-a-Vanners. There are lots of places in the US throughout the year. Just sign up for any you are interested in participating in. No experience required.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #95

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Thanks, I can see myself doing this.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #96

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Me too, thanks for the info.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 AM   #97

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks

Thanks! I’m interested in doing this.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Me, too!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #99

Trailer: none
Looking at the website, it's interesting to note that there are NO homes scheduled to be built, at least in the next year, in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, my home state of California:

RV Care-A-Vanners Program | Habitat for Humanity
Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #100

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Looking at the website, it's interesting to note that there are NO homes scheduled to be built, at least in the next year, in one of the most expensive housing states in the US, my home state of California
Habitat for Humanity is building houses in my county, Sonoma, right now, so they are active in California, but maybe there is a reason that these projects are not suitable for Care-a-vanners.