Retiring, buying a trailer and tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Retiring, buying a trailer and tow vehicle

Hello,
I think I’ve narrowed it down to Escape or Bigfoot. For towing, I’ve owned several trucks but have nothing now, but can get a Chevy Silverado new at dealer cost so am looking at probably a Silverado HD 2500, the 2024 refresh version.

I like the roominess and four season of the Bigfoot, but don’t want to deal with a dealer so much and not fond of the fabric and color choices.

I like the Escape price, weight and configurability. My wife is an analog artist and I’m a part time digital artist so how its decorated is important to us. And I like that we can go factory direct. But I get up much earlier than my wife, so having doubles or a lengthwise queen would be a great feature too, so the 23 looks good but who knows when we’d be able to get one. OTOH I’m not retiring for 3 years yet so it’s not an emergency (and in three years prices should cool off post-pandemic).

Thoughts welcome …
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Hi, Dan. Since you mentioned how important the interior decor of your trailer will be, and in case you’re not fully aware, I wanted to point out Escape’s wide array of custom interior options.

They offer many choices of standard fabric, flooring, and Formica. For an extra cost, you can also go “off script” and completely customize your selections (provided you go with vendors Escape deals with on a regular basis).

All the choices Escape offers can make you a little dizzy during the build sheet phase, but you end up with a trailer that can really be quite unique to you. At any rate, good luck with your trailer shopping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We sleep separately in our 21C. Rear U- dinette coverts easily with Springfield pedestal. 3"latex topper lays in half along the back when not in use.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Escape is the best choice in a smaller trailer. We have the 19 but are getting to the point we don't like crawling over each other in the middle of the night. I would like the 21NE but I think we'll just sleep seperatly.

For trucks, I have a Tundra 5.7L. Pulls like crazy but it's too thirsty. After talking to many, I am considering a F150 2.7L EcoBoost. Crazy good gas mileage from a truck that isn't stupid expensive.

This was a good thread

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ion-23327.html
Old 08-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I don't know the dry/wet weights of the Bigfoot trailers, but for just about any Escape a standard truck is more than sufficient. We were looking for the 2.7L F150 but none were available when purchasing, so we went the other way an maxed towing capacity with the 3.5L F150 Eco-Boost. So unless you want the added versatility of extra hauling capacity (for some application other than your travel trailer - hauling gravel made?) you don't need a F250 or Chevy 2500. However, if you do, they work great of course.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: N/A
Yeah for the deal we have the HD trucks don’t cost basically any difference from the 1500 so might as well have some extra grunt. I have a preorder for a Silverado EV which except for range would be a towing dream with that weight and regen braking. I did a calculation that assuming range is actually 400 miles (probably safe, GM underestimates their BEV ranges) then I should get 150 miles between charges, which would be just fine for an average RV drive or 4-5 hours. Charging isn’t a problem either, except when you go very off freeway or to Canada. So possible but despite being an EV enthusiast and owner I think we need to wait until 2030-35 for that to be easily practicable.

We would get a 21 of some variation, or the 23 if we can get one in a reasonable timeframe. Dry bath isn’t important to me but my wife wants it.

Oh one question, if we get a composting toilet (I think it is an option correct?) can we retain all the plumbing for the black tank, so we can switch if we change our minds?
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We sleep separately in our 21C. Rear U- dinette coverts easily with Springfield pedestal. 3"latex topper lays in half along the back when not in use.
We're the same. I stay up later than my wife, and she says my snoring wakes her up, so I've been exiled to the dinette bed in our 21C. Initially it was pretty uncomfortable, but we've now got a good topper with a zipper cover, which we can roll up during the day, so it's an acceptable bed. I can hang out in the dinette with my laptop or a book, and the Springfield pedestal makes setting up the bed quick and easy.

I have my name on the E23 Wait List, but she says twins wouldn't help much, so I'd still be in the dinette. The E23 dinette will be larger, though.

Before we got the E21C, I was looking at used Bigfoots, which are even scarcer than used Escapes. The BF25s were really on the heavy side for our 2013 Expedition to tow (theoretically almost 9,000 lbs capability, but at 7,500 the big BFs are getting up there), and they wouldn't fit under our 10x20 canopy, either.

A BF21 was a possibility, but don't get the front-bedroom models, as they put the dinette in the middle instead of the back; the rear BR models with front dinettes are better, but even more rare.

Luckily we found our 2019 21C (thanks, Shawn!). And you know what? I like the Escape interiors better than the Bigfoots I've seen. Of course, if you want higher end, there are always Airstreams—but double the money for an Escape.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingDan View Post
Oh one question, if we get a composting toilet (I think it is an option correct?) can we retain all the plumbing for the black tank, so we can switch if we change our minds?
That was two questions . The answers: Yes, and yes
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote