RIP to our Escape 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooBarb View Post
At 2am last night we heard the thump of a falling tree and feared what that could mean.

We enjoyed our Escape 19 while we had it. We slept in it 569 nights - 27 states & 1 province where we picked her up - our vacation home on wheels - our home between two houses - our base while doing volunteer work... Lots of good memories. :-(
Wow. That is terrible. Could have been much worse if you were inside at the time. Makes me think that I need to pay a bit more attention to the trees around me when I camp.

I am fortunate to have replacement insurance on both my 19' and 15' Escapes. However, given that my 15B is no longer manufactured, it is not clear how it could ever be replaced. When I asked my insurance agent, they said they would replace it with a comparable trailer of a "similar" size, I guess that would be a 17B. That is one way to move up in size I guess.

Looking at your damaged 19', looks like it may be a good project for someone with a few fiberglass and gel coat skills.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
At 2am last night we heard the thump of a falling tree and feared what that could mean.

We enjoyed our Escape 19 while we had it. We slept in it 569 nights - 27 states & 1 province where we picked her up - our vacation home on wheels - our home between two houses - our base while doing volunteer work... Lots of good memories. :-(
Barbara: So sorry to see this. Glad no one was hurt. Your trailer saw more use in a few years than many do in a lifetime. Hope the insurance process is smooth and that you are back out camping soon. I'm going to send you a PM with a question.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: RooBarb... So sorry!!! Total devastation in many ways!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #44

How is the insurance thing going?

I'm interested to see how well it's handled. My Son's Honda Fit was just totaled (someone hit him, not his fault) and the current offer from our mutual insurance company ( we both have the SAME company) is thousands below the market value of our Son's car. We could not replace it for the amount being offered.

Sure hope your settlement works out.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
This happened to me 20 years ago with aaa insurance. Eventually I gathered comps and got a good price. I had to negotiate like I was buying a used car.

I still have their roadside service and every time they ask me if I want an insurance quote I tell the story and decline.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
This happened to me 20 years ago with aaa insurance. Eventually I gathered comps and got a good price. I had to negotiate like I was buying a used car.

I still have their roadside service and every time they ask me if I want an insurance quote I tell the story and decline.
In theory, they're supposed to establish the settlement amount based upon the "market" value of comparable vehicles. My next question to them will be "Can you please show me where these cars are and where I can buy them for that money?". Ha ha...

Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
In theory, they're supposed to establish the settlement amount based upon the "market" value of comparable vehicles. My next question to them will be "Can you please show me where these cars are and where I can buy them for that money?". Ha ha...

Insurance companies have been playing that game for as long as I can remember . You have to get the information and fight for yourself . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
If it's substantially lower then you might consider having a lawyer involved.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have to assume not everyone uses replacement insurance? And if not, why ? If I was to lose my trailer for any reason, I would get a quote from Escape for a replacement, plus I have submitted for all my additional costs to be recovered.

Full replacement. The only way to go in my books. Saves trying to prove your trailer's worth as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Replacement insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have to assume not everyone uses replacement insurance? And if not, why ? If I was to lose my trailer for any reason, I would get a quote from Escape for a replacement, plus I have submitted for all my additional costs to be recovered.

Full replacement. The only way to go in my books. Saves trying to prove your trailer's worth as well.
X2 for us Jim. I am insurance poor but I sleep well. Terrific health insurance saved us when my youngest daughter had cancer and I’m still ahead, half a lifetime later.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #51

Trailer: 21 foot
Bill and Barb are two lovely people who took the time to share their little 19" Escape with us. They sold us on the Escape Camper.
We are so deeply saddened by your loss. So saddened!!!
Sending our best...
Debra and Carlo
Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A lot of US insurance companies do not offer "replacement cost"option....
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A lot of US insurance companies do not offer "replacement cost"option....
I was able to get it from Progressive, but only for the first couple of years for full replacement.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Since we are picking up our Escape 19 on Tuesday we got the extra insurance today. A company called Guardian has a Supreme package with replacement cost and other extras like towing for $268 Can, tax in. You just need to check with your BC or Alberta insurance agent to see if they sell the Guardian product. They will do this for trailers less than 10 years old...after that you can select a different package.
Attached Thumbnails
94984DF7-3B2F-4B95-8779-3A2A2202CAFD.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
My previous car was written off when I was rear-ended (the second time). I had that value discussion with the adjuster, but it was just a single phone call taking a few minutes, and I was well satisfied with the agreed value. I'm not a great negotiator, but I did know the value of the car, and did not simply accept the first offered value (which was about one-third of the final number).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

The premium, perhaps? If an insurance company is covering the cost of a new item, rather than the actual value of the item, they will pay out more and thus will charge higher premiums.

One issue is the low depreciation of Escapes. Few people carry insurance on their car to replace it with a new car after more than a year or two, because the premium would be ridiculous and the vehicle clearly depreciates. With minimal depreciation, replacement of an old trailer with a new one makes more sense... at least for a few years.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I was able to get it from Progressive, but only for the first couple of years for full replacement.
We got progressive full replacement too . It is only for the first 5 years which next time around will be over so will see what happens after that . Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My previous car was written off when I was rear-ended (the second time). I had that value discussion with the adjuster, but it was just a single phone call taking a few minutes, and I was well satisfied with the agreed value. I'm not a great negotiator, but I did know the value of the car, and did not simply accept the first offered value (which was about one-third of the final number).
Same happened to me with my 64 Chevy . I had to get newspapers and and find information about recent sold to get a fair price on the totaled car . 2 1/2 more for me . Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
Hey, a little Bondo and your trailer will be ready for Craigslist in no time...........

Condolences on your loss .
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I was thinking duct tape and a can of gloss white spray paint good as new
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote