Road-side Assistance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Road-side Assistance

As far as Roadside Assistance. I started with Good Sam 9 years ago, AAA did not offer trailer coverage at the time. I looked at it again briefly a few weeks ago, Good Sam is a good deal cheaper, at least where coverage for 2 is concerned and comparable mileages.
FWIW, I had read a story once upon a time about roadside assistance, there are really only 2 or 3 companies that do such. Companies like Good Sam contract out the coverage to these 3rd parties. AAA is the exception, they do their own.

Have yet to actually use the coverage, but it makes me feel better.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 E21
[QUOTE=padlin;56844] AAA is the exception, they do their own.
QUOTE]

Must be different in MA (or, perhaps, New England as a whole) because in MD AAA contracts out also for roadside assistance.

I had read somewhere that a remotely-based AAA, say CA, may not honor, or fully honor, another AAA franchise's coverage and that all (or at least generally) AAA do not cover one's trailer if the tug breaks down.

So for roadside assistance, I'm leaning heavily toward GS (although I'll keep the AAA for our vehicles).

For loss/liability insurance on the trailer, I'm still up in the air but leaning toward GS. AAA charges us a minor fortune for the house and cars. I assume that coverage on the trailer would be similar.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Frederick Simson, scale guy on FiberglassRV had a problem with AAA in California. Had AAA for years and covered his trailer. Broke down outside of CA and AAA wouldn't provide coverage for the reason Abby mentioned above. Read the fine print!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Frederick Simson, scale guy on FiberglassRV had a problem with AAA in California. Had AAA for years and covered his trailer. Broke down outside of CA and AAA wouldn't provide coverage for the reason Abby mentioned above. Read the fine print!
Thanks for that info Donna! I will have to read the fine print. I have AAA plus and did not even think about the out of state coverage issue.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Thanks for that info Donna! I will have to read the fine print. I have AAA plus and did not even think about the out of state coverage issue.
That would be a really raw deal if you lived in Rhode Island.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We also have AAA for our auto roadside assistance and GS for our RV roadside assistance. While we've used AAA many times, I wasn't comfortable with their explanations of what they would (and wouldn't cover) outside of the state. Plus, we have friends from Australia who are here in the U.S., camping for five months. They checked with AAA about coverage and were turned down. Good Sam welcomed them with open arms and, in fact, have already helped them out several times with some issues. To me, that's going the extra mile.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
AAA is the exception, they do their own.
Must be different in MA (or, perhaps, New England as a whole) because in MD AAA contracts out also for roadside assistance.
The organizations in Canada which are affiliated with the American Automobile Association (AAA) are collectively the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). There in generally one per province. They seem to provide their own assistance facilities in major centres, contract to private companies to provide CAA-branded services (i.e. trucks with CAA logo on them dedicated to auto club service) in smaller centres, and contract to other private companies otherwise (i.e. Fred's Towing shows up when you call CAA).

Our expectation is that we will receive service from the local affiliated club when we are outside of our home territory. Our home is Alberta (Alberta Motor Association), and when I called for assistance in Hope, British Columbia the BCAA sent a local towing company - no problems. This was not an RV call, but I don't know of any reason why the RV support provisions would not be honoured. This situation certainly appears to vary by location.

Good Sam presumably works by contract, rather than operating its own equipment fleet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With AAA there is not universal coverage, the coverage is determined by each state, such as Maryland AAA is totally different than Pennsylvania AAA in what is covered. I dropped AAA when I bought a trailer because in Pennsylvania it must have a motor to be eligible. Went with Good Sam.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
For the Canadians, is CAA enough or do you find needing additional third party (like Sams club as example) when in the lower 48?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Wannabe
Wanted to chime in here too that some cell carriers also have roadside assist, now have I ever used mine - nope but didn't see anything in fine print that would indicate they wouldn't cover the RV (basically mine says it covers any vehicle I am in at the time). Guess I'll go back and dig thru some more just to see. Have heard good things about Good Sam though.

Sherry
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Careful, AAA in Pennsylvania defines vehicle is a motor vehicle, not a trailer!!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Do you need AAA or GS when your trailer insurance covers the cost of towing? Thanks
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You really need to read your own trailer insurance policy. I doubt that it will cover towing for a mechanical reason. It probably covers towing it after a wreck. But, only you can read your policy.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Thanks for the advice. I shall read the policy closely.
tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote