Roadside Litter - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Many merchants in our area do not accept credit / debit cards
Others do not accept personal checks
All of them accept cash !!

Many merchants in our area still have house accounts ( Pay him / her at the end of the month ) We have a house account at the lumber yard , hardware store , butcher shop ,auto repair shop and until recently the local gas station
The system runs on one simple rule “ If you pay your whole bill at the end of the month then you can get stuff on credit the next month “ No contract, no interest , just a handshake agreement between gentleman .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Many merchants in our area still have house accounts ( Pay him / her at the end of the month ) We have a house account at the lumber yard , hardware store , butcher shop ,auto repair shop and until recently the local gas station
The system runs on one simple rule “ If you pay your whole bill at the end of the month then you can get stuff on credit the next month “ No contract, no interest , just a handshake agreement between gentleman .
Hi Steve . If I remember right the merchants have to pay fees if you give them a credit card . Some merchants wouldn’t accept American Express because they were charged 3 % of your transaction . Our gas stations here , if you pay in cash or only use their gas credit cards , you get your gas cheaper .
Younger people aren’t like the older generation worried about looking far ahead . They were raised on I want what I want and I want it now .
What a great area you live in . You are very lucky . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
....if you pay in cash or only use their gas credit cards , you get your gas cheaper .
That was practised by a few retailers here but it was deemed to be illegal. They could not charge different amounts for customers based on how they paid. They could refuse credit cards if they wished though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #64

While travelling, credit cards are great. When in Canada I use one of my regular cards, and when in the US use the the US one attached to my US bank account. No way do I want to travel with a few thousand bucks in my pocket, or have to stop at an ATM and pay their fee a few times a week. It really has nothing to do with a fear of safety, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of cash all the time. It was nicer when things were cheaper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That was practised by a few retailers here but it was deemed to be illegal. They could not charge different amounts for customers based on how they paid. They could refuse credit cards if they wished though.
Not here . Another thing if you use credit cards and we do for somethings like Costco to get cash back , you really don’t know what you are spending and believe me they love that . When you use your cash you really are aware of what you are spending and can put the brakes on.
Usually just pull out, and not disclosing from where 100 at a time . That way we know what we have at all times .
I worry about my grandkids and what life will be like for them . They don’t seem to worry at all .
Already houses are out of reach for them here . And they went to college and have careers .
Really reject all this suppose to be easy way of life . Someone has designs on your hard earned money .
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Here in the US many parts of the country allow lower $ for cash, at least at fuel stops. They usually require the signs letting you know the low price you see is for cash, but I've run into a couple of stations where the pump $ doesn't switch until you hit credit. Kind of annoying...
Old 01-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I occasionally get caught by the Cash/CC slight of hand at gas stations when traveling. Don't notice the price on the big highway sign was for cash only till after filling the tank. It's one of those, if it looks to good to be true, it's not things.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Cash use has drastically gone down here. It is mostly a few older folks that are most of the cash standouts now. It is rare to find many under 40 who have much for cash now. I now use very little myself. A $500 withdrawal can last months.
my daughter is a waitress/bartender at a fairly fancy place, about half of her tips are cash, and her tips are 3-5X her wages.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In many (probably most) stores, if the power is out the Point of Sale system is down, and the cashier can't complete a purchase even for exact cash. And if the purchase is fuel at a station, no power means no pumps so the rest of the systems don't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Many merchants in our area still have house accounts ( Pay him / her at the end of the month )
This is certainly a regional thing. I can't remember when I last found a business which didn't take cards, other than a farmer's market vendor... but even most of them take cards, reducing their risk of theft and accidental loss. Some of the "dollar stores" only take debit, not credit, due to the lower processing fees. On the other hand, a friend of mine ran a fine wine store, and didn't take cash - almost no one would use it anyway, and it avoided the need to maintain a cash float and to take deposits to the bank; a couple of customers offered cash in the first year, but had no problem with switching to a card. Really small business use services such as Square, running on the phones.

Cheques for retail purchases are very rare now - essentially no store would take one without also taking a credit card for security, if they take cheques at all. I don't think I've heard of a house account for a non-business customer for decades.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I tried opening a house account at the liquor store this morning. Had to use debit for my beer.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my daughter is a waitress/bartender at a fairly fancy place, about half of her tips are cash, and her tips are 3-5X her wages.
As a customer, I have no desire to carry cash, and I'm paying the bill with a card, so there is no reason to tip in cash.

In some places, taking cash for tips is a way to hide the tips from the management, other staff, and the tax man. In many restaurants and bars here now, tip "sharing" is based on the bill (not the actual tip) so this only works for tax evasion (declaring less income than actually received)... although of course not everyone does that.

In general, in addition to its routine legitimate use, cash is a popular tool for criminal transactions of all kinds (to avoid tracking)... although Bitcoin is the modern alternative.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One thing we learned in Economics 101 is the more often a person is paid the less chance of saving as tomorrow is another payday.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #73

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
. A friend just returned from Denmark. It seems their society does not use cash. Credit card types only. I’m wondering what that country would do in a worst case event.
Go to Japan and you basically can't use a credit card, everything is cash, they also have a lot of earthquakes!
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #74

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
EVs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I presume you'll tow your trailer with mules then?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllll

Electric cars are baubles and cannot compete in the real market against IC cars, which have been made 'very clean'...*
.The problems with EVs are:*
1. ECs use MORE energy and pollute MORE due to depending on the electric grid for recharging..not to mention
2. taking 45 minutes at least to PARTIALLY recharge..IF you can find a "station".*
3. Not to mention the environmental WASTE generated by 10000s of used batteries! What carp!
4. For an electric car to be competitive with any currently available IC-engined economy sedan, it would need to be able to continuously drive (in all weather, heat and cold) for at least 400 miles on a charge; and...EVs must be able to recharge in five minutes or less from commonly available sources and cost about the same as the currently available IC-engined economy car, or about $15,000.
5. EVs range is short and made SHORTER by alot in COLD or HOT weather..and EVs are difficult to charge in cold weather.*Tesla just recently CUT the charge to only 75% of capacity, bks of fires in batteries. That is like getting a 15 gallon gas tank.
6. batteries in EVs can and have already burst into flames when even a tiny crack appears in the battery cases..like after a minor wreck
7.. One other thing..in any IC vehicle one can if he wishes, carry extra fuel..like, in my truck, if I am going off road, I can easily carry two or more 5 gallon spare cans of gas..but, not one EV can carry extra batteries.*

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...than-too-much/
https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...ther-problems/
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hmmmmm, sobering. Two sides to everything I guess. And the Iowa State Fair admission went up $2 for this year to $14. Time will tell about everything. I once oversight for a garage that was built for an electric car. I think it was about a 1912 Baker. No reverse. There was a turntable with a big lever that the chauffeur used to spin the vehicle so you could drive forward to get it out of the garage. Ever see a wind charger for Model T Coils?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think you should launch the missiles now. Right now.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 AM   #77
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
someone should lay off the caffeine, and shut off the late night AM radio.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #78

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Stated very well Hollybee
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #79

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I can't remember when I last found a business which didn't take cards, other than a farmer's market vendor...
My barber only takes cash. If you don't have it they send you across the street to the ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
On the other hand, a friend of mine ran a fine wine store, and didn't take cash -
Just ran into this the other day. Small university café that is open to the public. Wouldn't take cash. Would only take credit card.

I carry both!
Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not here . Another thing if you use credit cards and we do for somethings like Costco to get cash back , you really don’t know what you are spending and believe me they love that . When you use your cash you really are aware of what you are spending and can put the brakes on.
Usually just pull out, and not disclosing from where 100 at a time . That way we know what we have at all times .
I worry about my grandkids and what life will be like for them . They don’t seem to worry at all .
Already houses are out of reach for them here . And they went to college and have careers .
Really reject all this suppose to be easy way of life . Someone has designs on your hard earned money .
Pat
Whether you use cash or credit card the spending is the same as you are buying what you want based on the price of it.

Houses here are very pricey too, but the young adults can buy if they are responsible shoppers. 2 of my 3 kids are home owners, and the other will likely be in time too.

The biggest fault with credit card use is by those that do not clear the balance every month and use it to buy more unneeded items. I have always paid mine off monthly, and sometimes a couple times a month when my limit was lower and I was real buys. I am not going to carry tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket to buy stuff.

Oh, and over time I have gotten over $30,000 of vacation spending on the travel points I have collected. Much of this is due to work spending, but still...... I just checked and I have an $8,000 amount to spend on my Visa travel points, I should book a holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Here in the US many parts of the country allow lower $ for cash, at least at fuel stops. They usually require the signs letting you know the low price you see is for cash, but I've run into a couple of stations where the pump $ doesn't switch until you hit credit. Kind of annoying...
I have never experienced this with fuel costs, maybe just never paid attention. What is the difference in cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Tipping is easily done by CC too, and most folks I know that work in a service that serves prefer this as then the pot that gets shared is bigger. They say that in most of the cash is just pocketed by the server. I always tip using 15% as the base of good food and service, take or give a little dependant upon the overall quality.