Roadside Litter - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Whether you use cash or credit card the spending is the same as you are buying what you want based on the price of it.

Houses here are very pricey too, but the young adults can buy if they are responsible shoppers. 2 of my 3 kids are home owners, and the other will likely be in time too.

The biggest fault with credit card use is by those that do not clear the balance every month and use it to buy more unneeded items. I have always paid mine off monthly, and sometimes a couple times a month when my limit was lower and I was real buys. I am not going to carry tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket to buy stuff.

Oh, and over time I have gotten over $30,000 of vacation spending on the travel points I have collected. Much of this is due to work spending, but still...... I just checked and I have an $8,000 amount to spend on my Visa travel points, I should book a holiday.

I have never experienced this with fuel costs, maybe just never paid attention. What is the difference in cost?

Tipping is easily done by CC too, and most folks I know that work in a service that serves prefer this as then the pot that gets shared is bigger. They say that in most of the cash is just pocketed by the server. I always tip using 15% as the base of good food and service, take or give a little dependant upon the overall quality.
Our local gas station offers a 4% discount on fuel if you pay in cash
Many other local businesses offer a discount if you pay in cash
Our local firewood dealer only accepts cash . He pulls up with a load of firewood ,you pay him in cash , then he dumps the load of wood . If you don’t have the cash , he leaves
and there is no guarantee that he will be back .

We use our one and only credit card for fuel when traveling .
If I don’t have the cash in my pocket to pay for something then I don’t buy it
So far it’s helped me in not making stupid , unnecessary , frivolous purchases
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Then there is D. Wahlberg leaving a $2020 tip at IHOP....
Attached Thumbnails
ENOgvQeWsAAx-vI.jpg  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Stated very well Hollybee
Everything he said ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #84

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I once oversight for a garage that was built for an electric car. I think it was about a 1912 Baker. No reverse. There was a turntable with a big lever that the chauffeur used to spin the vehicle so you could drive forward to get it out of the garage.
That's hilarious - just like a railway turntable.

Trivia: modern electric cars don't have a reverse gear in their transmission, because the motor runs equally well in either direction - they just run the motor in reverse to go backward.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #85

The idea of a discount for cash (versus credit) essentially vanished here many years ago, when businesses realized that handling cash has costs, too, and that a large business can negotiate a lower credit card service fee. The only examples that can think of which remain here are both in fuel:
  • Canadian Tire offers some sort of bonus for non-credit (cash or debit) at its gas stations (only, no longer in the store)
  • One chain of truck stops (Flying J) advertises cash and credit prices
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Electric cars are baubles and cannot compete in the real market against IC cars, which have been made 'very clean'...*
.The problems with EVs are...
There are valid concerns here, although most are exaggerated, or invalid generalizations, or outright false, but I don't think that this is the place for another EV discussion. There are other threads full of this:
Old 01-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Whether you use cash or credit card the spending is the same as you are buying what you want based on the price of it.

Houses here are very pricey too, but the young adults can buy if they are responsible shoppers. 2 of my 3 kids are home owners, and the other will likely be in time too.

The biggest fault with credit card use is by those that do not clear the balance every month and use it to buy more unneeded items. I have always paid mine off monthly, and sometimes a couple times a month when my limit was lower and I was real buys. I am not going to carry tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket to buy stuff.

Oh, and over time I have gotten over $30,000 of vacation spending on the travel points I have collected. Much of this is due to work spending, but still...... I just checked and I have an $8,000 amount to spend on my Visa travel points, I should book a holiday.

I have never experienced this with fuel costs, maybe just never paid attention. What is the difference in cost?

Tipping is easily done by CC too, and most folks I know that work in a service that serves prefer this as then the pot that gets shared is bigger. They say that in most of the cash is just pocketed by the server. I always tip using 15% as the base of good food and service, take or give a little dependant upon the overall quality.
Most people don’t know what there are spending until the bill comes . You know if you are down to your last dollars and time to put the brakes on .
My youngest a RN could only afford a old small 900 sq ft home . The home was almost 1/2 million dollars . They needed to be near their work . Homes are very expensive here . I wouldn’t say the home is perfect either and you needed to put down 20 % down payment too.
We also carry credit cards but really want to use our cash . The credit cards when traveling are usually for gas and to get it cheaper .
If I was a server and I work my tail off I want my tips . 18-20% is what proper tipping is here . There wages are very low and need their tips for their income . I would want the tip I am entitled to and don’t want to share , especially some who haven’t worked as hard as others do and reap their benefits . Pat
Old 01-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The "tip" industry and amount has been regulated now for awhile ...https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3144.pdf where tips included in income benefits the employee as well as the employer.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3148.pdf
Old 01-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
If I was a server and I work my tail off I want my tips . 18-20% is what proper tipping is here . There wages are very low and need their tips for their income . I would want the tip I am entitled to and don’t want to share , especially some who haven’t worked as hard as others do and reap their benefits . Pat
I don't know if you want to open the huge can of worms which is tipping, including the substantial regional variations in server's pay and restaurant practices.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't know if you want to open the huge can of worms which is tipping, including the substantial regional variations in server's pay and restaurant practices.
My uncle was a waiter at a fancy hotel . He had to pay union dues also . There is a lot others don’t know how the system works especially fancy restaurants . I don’t know how things work in Canada but here I do. First off in your tips you need to pay everyone off from the person who sits you , bartender , cooks , bus boys etc out of your tips . If you don’t when you are sitted they can tell if you are a good tipper or not , the bartender will mess up your drinks , the cook will also not give you good service . You have to pay off all these people , because you the waiter or waitress is the one who gets screamed at . It’s run like a Mafia .
In smaller restaurants or bars , I would want the tips I get period . If I give less then good service then , my tip reflects that.
Again like trying to have a cashless society they want to know all the money you are receiving to tax it .
Finally which I couldn’t understand my uncle was paid less then the min. wage a hour . So his tips were his pay , Pat
Old 01-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The difference in gas prices here in California is typically 10 cents a gallon, but a couple places recently ( when I was traveling in southern California) some places it was 15 or 20.

I put myself through college partly on tips from a waitress job, ergo, I'm a really good tipper with extra given for fine service and/or cheerful conversation. I'm a single gray-haired senior and it's amazing that sometimes i'm almost invisible/ignored and sometimes warmly greeted and served. I have tried to leave the tip in cash with the concern that managers can manipulate amts given on a card....maybe that's no longer true. I will check with some young people and amend that practice as needed.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I can't remember when I last found a business which didn't take cards, other than a farmer's market vendor....
many of the taco/burrito places around here (santa cruz, california) are cash only.

so is the old fashion been-there-70-years ice cream parlor.
https://mariannesicecream.com/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
The difference in gas prices here in California is typically 10 cents a gallon, but a couple places recently ( when I was traveling in southern California) some places it was 15 or 20.

I put myself through college partly on tips from a waitress job, ergo, I'm a really good tipper with extra given for fine service and/or cheerful conversation. I'm a single gray-haired senior and it's amazing that sometimes i'm almost invisible/ignored and sometimes warmly greeted and served. I have tried to leave the tip in cash with the concern that managers can manipulate amts given on a card....maybe that's no longer true. I will check with some young people and amend that practice as needed.
Example from today when we were out and about .Pat
Attached Thumbnails
D7EF7CFB-3AB3-4500-BC20-58F73AB6000Da.jpg  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #94

Quote:
Sorry I phone uploaded sideways !

Edit: I fixed it... Donna D.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #95

Quote:
Again like trying to have a cashless society they want to know all the money you are receiving to tax it .
As I said, cash is used to evade taxes. Anyone who supports this presumably also supports all other financial crimes.

Quote:
Finally which I couldn’t understand my uncle was paid less then the min. wage a hour . So his tips were his pay , Pat
In the U.S. it is common to pay servers less, because they get tips instead. That's one of the regional differences: in Canada, the same minimum wage (minus about $1/hr in one province for specifically servers of alcohol because they get tipped a lot) applies to every hourly paid worker, whether they are servers getting tips or not. That means if you want to pity some hard working underpaid workers it is the people at fast food places (who don't get tips), not the servers in restaurants and bars who get the same pay, plus double or triple that in tips when it is busy.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
whaaaa, $0.10 boost for gas for credit, but $0.20 for diesel ?? that just doesn't make much sense.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #97

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Back on track?

Trying to get the thread back on track. Just cleaned our local township recreation complex while my son played street hockey with his league tonight. Kids walked in with trash all over and left with it looking like someone actually cares about the place.

Two questions regarding litter control that I originally posed that no one directly answered:
-Why are prisoner work crews not out more often?
-Isn’t this a huge opportunity for towns to put unemployed people to work?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Trying to get the thread back on track. Just cleaned our local township recreation complex while my son played street hockey with his league tonight. Kids walked in with trash all over and left with it looking like someone actually cares about the place.

Two questions regarding litter control that I originally posed that no one directly answered:
-Why are prisoner work crews not out more often?
-Isn’t this a huge opportunity for towns to put unemployed people to work?

Any thoughts?
There have been several good documentaries about the abuse and the racism involved with prison labor from the end of the Civil War into the 1970’s
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
whaaaa, $0.10 boost for gas for credit, but $0.20 for diesel ?? that just doesn't make much sense.
I know . But if you use their gas card you get the cash price . You just can’t use any other credit card . Pat
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #100

Quote:
I know . But if you use their gas card you get the cash price . You just can’t use any other credit card . Pat
Also John they really have bumped up diesel fuel which I don’t have to tell you was a lot cheaper . Makes our goods more expensive too . Pat