Rock Creek / Kettle River Camp fire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
? Would the typical trailer insurance policy cover losses due to a forest fire.

I'll have to dig out our policy.

Yes, it's usually covered under the comprehensive section- but some carriers require a rider for catastrophic events because it's not included in the comprehensive clause. A quality policy will have it. Always good to check.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Glenn, any update?

Don't quite understand the situation. Were they away from where their trailer was located and couldn't get back to it? Or were they told that they weren't allowed to drive it out and were forced to take the bus?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is one road about 2 kilometers long from the highway to the campsite. It was blocked by the fire.
They crossed the river and walked down a trail on the other side where a rancher trucked people down to Rock Creek. A bus then took them to Midway. Haven't heard anything since last afternoon. His cell battery is dead.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
This is the latest from Castanet:

UPDATED: 10:25 A.M.

The latest size estimate for the Rock Creek wildfire is 2,500 hectares, according to Fanny Bernard, fire information officer.

This is nearly double the estimate of 1,300 hectares from this morning. Bernard said the majority of the fire's growth has been to the east and to the west, but she didn't know how close to the town of Rock Creek the fire has moved.

Bernard still could not confirm the loss of any structures, despite reports from residents that buildings have been lost.

Lightning has begun to strike the area, bringing with it heavier winds, and minimal rain, which could prove dangerous.

There are 76 BC Forest Service firefighters tackling the blaze, along with four helicopters and an air tanker on standby.

UPDATED: 9:32 A.M.

At least one home has been lost to the Rock Creek wildfire overnight, according to a man who wished to remain anonymous.

The man, who identified himself as close to the owner the Rock Creek Riverside Campground, said the Kettle River property has been razed.

"His whole property and house and barns and everything is gone," he said. "It's a terrible, terrible time out there ... there's definitely been houses lost, for sure.

"I just wanted to let the public know that there's havoc going on, people are losing their shirts out there."

ORIGINAL: 8:41 A.M.

The Rock Creek wildfire did not slow down overnight, nearly doubling in size.

The fire is now estimated at 1,300 hectares and continues to grow rapidly. It is completely uncontained. Earlier reports had the fire at 2,000 hectares, but the estimate was provisionary due to the thick smoke obscuring the blaze.

There is a severe thunderstorm watch in effect in the area, which is expected to bring heavy rain as well as lightning.

This could also bring high winds to the area, which could fan the flames more than they already have been.

Sixty firefighters will be joined by three four-man initial attack crews, four officers and air support from helicopters and air tankers to fight the fire today.

There have been unconfirmed reports that houses were lost to the fire last night.

The Kettle River provincial campground was evacuated, and the fire quickly tore through it, burning abandoned vehicles, RVs and tents.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

More information will follow as it becomes available.

Attached image is from the Rock Creek Riverside Campground, a private campground in the area, not from the Provincial campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
11903726_1617525171870113_7408287604401013585_n_p3067830.jpg  

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'm so glad to read the campers were able to walk out across the river. OMG, how scary and then some. It's frightening to me and I'm just sitting at home listening to the sprinkling rain.

Okay, this may sound a bit ignorant, but I'm coming at it from the perspective of someone that's not done any camping in the past, other than my month-long RV rental in April. I know folks love to camp. Summer is the time when most do that. But wouldn't you want to think twice before heading out into the woods/treed/grassy areas this time of year when so much of those areas are under severe drought and high fire risk? Not all of these fires are started by people. And even with a camp fire ban, I'm sure there are people that violate that.

It just seems really risky (to me) to camp this time of year under our current conditions. Thanks for any thoughtful insight into this comment.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
But wouldn't you want to think twice before heading out into the woods/treed/grassy areas this time of year when so much of those areas are under severe drought and high fire risk?
Guess it just amounts to how safe you need to feel. Living with a certain element of risk adds adds some spice to life, but everyone is different. Done a good amount of long distance canoe camping trips where if something were to happen you are on your own. We don't let the possibility of dangerous wildlife keep me from enjoying the woods either, like to think we use a little common sense.

The threat of a possible forest fire is not very high on my list of things to worry about. I make sure I don't start one and that's about all I can do.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We were close to a wildfire in the Mt. Shasta area a couple of years ago. In fact, CALFire was landing their helicopters in a field adjacent to our campground. We were a little skeptical when we pulled in, but the owners were watching the situation, and it was actually further away than we initially surmised. Camping with that much smoke around tends to lessen the experience as well. In California right now, it takes almost nothing to start a fire, so I guess I'd be careful about where I camped, and what any escape plan (no pun intended) might be.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Amen to that!! One always need to be on the alert for just about any natural disaster nowadays. Praying that everyone gets out of any fire situation safely.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #29

My buddy is in Midway, at the pub ( taking his billet hosts out for dinner ). Says RCMP have been into the campground and said that some RVs are gone and others lower down are OK. Camp is being used for fire fighting HQ. Cat tractors clearing trees and making roads. Rumor is that the fire has doubled back. Waiting for RCMP to track owners through license plates when they are clear to drive out ( assuming they still have a rig ).

Midway pub has two beers on tap ( no Guinness ), a red wine ( Murlet? said the waiter ) and a white.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We just heard news that a lightning strike caused a fire in/near Oliver BC north of Osoyoos. I think there are evacuation alerts. Unconfirmed but maybe a fire truck trapped. It sounded chaotic. I hope/pray lives and property will be safe.

Re the question about the wisdom of camping during this very volatile season.

In two weeks we are scheduled for three nights at Apple Beach RV in Oliver (for wine touring) and then have plans to head east via highway 3 (past the current Kettle Creek fire) to Kokanee Creek Provincial Park near Nelson where we plan to hang out for about five nights exploring the area.

We'll be watching the news realizing our camping plans pale when considering the devestation to those affected by these fires. Having said that we are wondering what to do. We may well be reconfiguring our plans.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Larry - when we were at Kokanee Creek in early July it was quite exciting watching the helicopters dipping water out of the lake to fight the fires above Nelson. We could see smoke and flames one afternoon which was a little nerve wracking but apparently it was a couple ridge lines away.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #32

Trailer: Previous 2015 15 ft & 2016 19 ft now 2021 19 ft
We saw two of the campers who were camped at Kettle River campground with their 19ft escape trailer.We met them near Winlaw and they stopped and chatted with us. They were the second to last campers to get their rigs out. We were so glad to see they made it out safe and sound. They were camped across the road from us.
JabberwockJazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
These kinds of threads make my skin crawl. For many people, not just Escape owners, this kinda of "critical incident" can happen just about anytime.

In Oregon, we have three stages, Get Ready, Set, GO!

Get Ready: gather all the important stuff
Set: get your important stuff into trailers/cars, etc.
GO: LEAVE NOW!

These notifications can come from the Forest Service, state police... etc.

Pay attention!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #34

We've moved into the hilly area close to the entrance of Golden Ears Provincial Park in Maple Ridge. Now we can worry about forest fires coming down the mountain while we are home and forest fires while we are on the road camping.

‘Protect us’ from wild fire say Maple Ridge residents - Maple Ridge News
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It might be wise not to drive through the mountains to go camping when this sort of risk exists. Of course, that means you can't go from October to May (risk of snow and ice), in June or July (flooding and mudslides), or August or September (fires). Since that leaves zero "safe" time, it seems to me that the reasonable approach is to go when you want to, and check local conditions immediately before heading into any specific area... and be prepared to leave when directed to do so.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #36

Day before the fire at Rock Creek I asked my buddy if there were sites available and he advised me that it was too hot, water in the river too low and that they were planning to leave in a couple days.

So, we're gonna head to Vancouver Island, since it is surrounded by water.

Actually, it has it's own fires, and no water.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #37

News tonight reporting 200 homes evacuated in Oliver with new fires from lightening strikes. Osoyoos ( home of the Escape Rally ) is between Rock Creek and Oliver and currently there is another fire south of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ions-1.3192266
Old 08-15-2015, 02:35 AM   #38

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Have been in contact with my gf who lives in Oliver---fire is across from her but hopefully not too close that she is in danger--She has some stuff put together and will use her "15B escape to Escape if needed...
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #39

Here is an update from the Oliver News. It looks like good news.
A beautiful day
Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Global is reporting that campers are being let back to the campsite in groups of 10 to retrieve their belongings. According to Global, the RCMP report that the campsites that were burnt in the fire were closer to the entrance and Highway 33.
Makes sense as the campsites closer to the river have more lush vegetation and the ones closer to the highway are in open Ponderosa Pine forest.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote