Rolling your 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Rolling your 5.0TA

A quick question.

I dropped my 2020 19 off at my friends for the winter. I was concerned it was heavier than the 17B I had and if we could push it around. It took no effort to push it around with the caster on the front jack.

Is it possible to unhook a 5.0TA and push it around on a level concrete floor for storage. Does the front have casters or wheels available.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
You could put wheels on the front landing gear and push it. I have not done this, as my trailer sets outside in a rock driveway.
Photo of unloading in a parking lot. Yes all the weight of the front is on one wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150331_115335.jpg  
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
My previous 21' 5th wheel stickie came with landing gear wheels-
I only tried once to push it- I couldn't do it.

The wheels were about 5" steel. Possibly something rubber and much larger could work.

I park our 5.0 on concrete inside a garage. It's a straight shot from the road- fairly easy to put it where I want it.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Is it possible to unhook a 5.0TA and push it around on a level concrete floor for storage. Does the front have casters or wheels available.
Unlike typical fifth-wheels, the landing gear legs on an Escape 5.0/5.0TA are ordinary trailer tongue jacks, so there should be wheels available for them. On the hard, smooth, and level surface of a concrete floor that should work.

I was sure that this has been discussed before, but it has been a while. I thought that a search of the forum might be worthwhile (but could just be frustrating)... so I tried a Google search for "site:escapeforum.org/forums/ 5.0 caster" and found a couple of threads, and the first one directly addresses this idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I haven't done it, but thought putting the landing gear on 2000# wheel dollies with the trailer kneeling down, might be doable. It would take more than just me to push it though.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
My previous 21' 5th wheel stickie came with landing gear wheels-
I only tried once to push it- I couldn't do it.

The wheels were about 5" steel. Possibly something rubber and much larger could work.
Even a tiny pebble can stop a rigid wheel on a hard surface. I agree that a rubber or urethane tread - and maybe even a pneumatic tire - would help.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I would buy a pair of dollies sold by HF and others, they are used to roll vehicles around on a shop floor. I have used them many times and with fairly heavy vehicles. On a good concrete floor it should be fairly easy, but with two people would be easier. Just put them under the landing gear before you unhitch, and have rear wheels blocked at that time of course.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Ok, thanks for the responses. I was just thinking.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Can someone with a 5.0TA measure the diameter of the front landing gear? I’m wanting to weld a HD castor on to the bottom of a pipe that will slip over the landing gear allowing the 5.0 to be winched up onto a flat bed.

Or…..

Is there an easier way? I can tell you when we had our trailer wrecked this would make it much easier on a tow company to help move it if anything were to happen to your TV or trailer……I found not many wreckers have 5th wheel attachments or a means to move them….

Anyways, anyone have a diameter so I know what size pipe to pick up?
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote