running a 22'' tv/dvd on 12v - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
running a 22'' tv/dvd on 12v

I was just wondering if tvs use up a lot of battery? I have 2 of the 6v batteries and I am planning on getting a Skyworth 22" tv that are sold at Truck stops and online. I have seen them at Love's truck stops and noticed that they look good and that the volume is really good,

Since they are made to go in big trucks with really strong batteries I thought I better ask you guys who understand more about our trailer battery capacity than I do. Would it be much difference than the 19" version? See below for comparison watts and amps.

Here is what it says about the 22" TV/DVD usage:Power Requirements: 42 Watts (3.5 Amps max) w/o DVD

Special Low Voltage ability to run when battery voltage is lower by 15% (10.2 Volts). Even as low as 10.2 Volts

The 19" TV/DVD usage is:28 Watts (2.3 Amps at 12-Volts) - Energy Star (3 Watts)

Read more: http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-l...#ixzz4Xky7Njzb
If anyone else is interested in this model it is much cheaper ordering it online from Roadtrucker

Read more: 22" Skyworth LED 12 Volt TV DVD Combo SLC2221A
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Takes about the same power draw as your furnace does.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
You may get more thorough explanations on this site, but going from 28 watts on the smaller TV to 42 watts on the larger one makes only an inconsequential increase in electric usage to your batteries, especially considering the minimal time one watches TV. Go for the larger TV.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Thanks Bill.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I was just wondering if tvs use up a lot of battery? I have 2 of the 6v batteries and I am planning on getting a Skyworth 22" tv that are sold at Truck stops and online.

Since they are made to go in big trucks with really strong batteries I thought I better ask you guys who understand more about our trailer battery capacity than I do. Would it be much difference than the 19" version? See below for comparison watts and amps.
The good news is modern LED TV's draw very little power compared to older technology. Just for perspective, assuming your dual 6V's have about 200 amp-hours usable you could run the 22" TV for about 57 hours or the 19" about 87 hours before the batteries were "dead". In reality you would never want to take them that low. This is just a simple, rough number for some perspective as there are many variables and this assumes not running anything else and no simultaneous energy input (i.e solar/tow vehicle etc).
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The good news is modern LED TV's draw very little power compared to older technology. Just for perspective, assuming your dual 6V's have about 200 amp-hours usable you could run the 22" TV for about 57 hours or the 19" about 87 hours before the batteries were "dead". In reality you would never want to take them that low. This is just a simple, rough number for some perspective as there are many variables and this assumes not running anything else and no simultaneous energy input (i.e solar/tow vehicle etc).
Thanks for all the info. It really helps.
Nancy
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find the longer I camp, the less I watch television. I have not installed one yet in my new Escape, may not ever do so. I enjoy internet, but there is really nothing on any more that I find a desire or need to watch on television.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find the longer I camp, the less I watch television. I have not installed one yet in my new Escape, may not ever do so. I enjoy internet, but there is really nothing on any more that I find a desire or need to watch on television.
Do you plan on longer trips in the future? This is where I believe a TV will come in handy. As mentioned before, I have never had a TV in the past 25 years of owning a travel trailer, until that 18 day trip with lots of rain last October, where we watched a few movies. We actually never watched program TV though. Almost all of the places we camped required data usage for internet access, something I too enjoy, but boy data can start to cost.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Having options is always good. Where folks get tangled up is when they say "we always..." You know what? "Always" is your past. None of us know what our future may hold. Never plan your future based on your past.... you're not going that way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
Great response to almost every question on this site!
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote