Running an air condition on generator? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 21
The high altitude jet replaces the normal one.
If you look closely you will see the difference in the hole size
Be sure and mark each one.
----------
advice from an old motorcycle racer/tuner
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks Rotorbudd - makes sense, of course. But that u-tube video on this I watched suggested adding on instead, and that got me totally confused.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #83

Don't forget to switch back when at low altitude. It'll run too lean if you forget.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #84

And what a pain that will be.

Hope all this is worth the trouble --though not planning any trips this year. Wanted to sneak over into the Colorado mountains - do a test run with the new generator but - NM is mandating any border crossings back requires a 2 week quarantine.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #85

you might want to try both jets while at altitude.
Who knows? The generator might run just fine. A little rich is better than a little lean.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #86

Since here we already are at 6600 feet that's what will happen. First now I got to go to a hardware store and get a screw driver with a right angle. Or, then find a way to disconnect the carb from it's connective adjustments lines to get it out.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #87

Looks like you could just drain the bowl, unscrew the bolt holding it on and use a stubby driver to remove and install the jet.
I see you get extra bowl oring and bolt gasket.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #88

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
First Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Looks like you could just drain the bowl, unscrew the bolt holding it on and use a stubby driver to remove and install the jet.
I see you get extra bowl oring and bolt gasket.
That’s how it looks to me also. If I don’t have a short enough screwdriver I use a changeable screwdriver bit and socket/ adapter on a quarter inch drive ratchet. The bit will drop into a socket and you’re ready to twist. I’d put slight tightening pressure (counterclockwise) and then back to clockwise you loosen if it does not come easily. Sometimes those fiber washer seats can be pretty sticky after being compressed. Should not be bad on a new unit though. I always have a heck of a time getting the linkage hooked back up when I pull the whole carburetor. Plus you have the carburetor to manifold gasket to be concerned about tearing or not lining up right. Put a clean cloth down under the work in case you drop a part and use a bright light to see what you’re doing.
That’s my experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #89

Well I couldn’t wait any longer for the Wen people to get back to me with answers on altitude jet replacement installation protocols so I tackled the job without them. How dangerous could a wade into these unknown shark-infested generator waters be?

First obstacle was the faceplate screws. Was so difficult I thought Wen glued two on. Gonna need a bigger screwdriver, Wen. Next was making sense of why they positioned the air filter casing so that access to the carburetor and bowl holding nuts required teeny tiny fingers , teeny tiny tools, and giant sized anger management. That’s the biggie here, pilgrims.

Ah, but wait. The good news is that that little brass jet I am replacing is not where I expected it to be. I saw it immediately but thought that was a different screw. All the u-tube videos indicated the jet would be inside the center shaft used by the bowl holding bolt. My mistake. It soon became clear the replaceable jet is the one in my picture on the outside. This clears up all my earlier concerns.

It is not your mothers’ carburetor. Looking forward to tomorrow when I put it all back together. Please, no oil leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
kit4carb.jpg   jett89K.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #90

I field tested my Wen 2350 in the back yard for several days now. Results seem consistent. It ran beautifully on a gallon of ethanol free gas and 5-30 w synthetic blend oil. The high altitude jet is installed. Starts on the first pull. Fit and finish all quite nice.

No gas gauge. Warning light works when overloaded. (air conditioner.) Shut-off throttle feature runs the engine until all fuel still in carburetor is burned works. It is amazingly, awesomely quiet in eco-mode.

It runs the fridge and the microwave, the maxi-fan - in fact all trailer appliances - with no complaints. Big exception is it totally failed to run my Dometic 11,000 btu air conditioner.

I made two videos on the process and posted on U-tube. The first is titled Wen 2350 generator and the second is titled Wen 23501st test. You can copy, and paste either in the U-tube search window. They were more fun to do than installing that high altitude carburetor jet.

At this moment if I really think I will ever need an air conditioner when dry camping someplace (unlikely, but why take a chance?) should probably fork out the three hundred bucks and get that Micro-air Easy Start add on. Could make another video on that. Well, these days, am I going anywhere?
Attached Thumbnails
startup4.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #91

Myron,
I think that the easy start is one of the better add ons I've got. It really helps the generator ease into the load the A/C puts on it.
Just be sure and follow the learning process shown on the instructions.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #92

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We ended up getting the Honda 2200 to pair with our Honda 2000i. I have some health problems that cause me to shut down in higher heat. Since we mostly Boondock, afternoons can be real hot on occasions. We have had rolling black outs during fire season here in California where we live, so the extra generator is a welcome addition for when that starts back up. We have had the 2000i for seven years and it still runs like a charm.
Kodakajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakajika View Post
We ended up getting the Honda 2200 to pair with our Honda 2000i. I have some health problems that cause me to shut down in higher heat. Since we mostly Boondock, afternoons can be real hot on occasions. We have had rolling black outs during fire season here in California where we live, so the extra generator is a welcome addition for when that starts back up. We have had the 2000i for seven years and it still runs like a charm.
Did you pair up your 2000 and 2200 successfully? Reason I ask is I bought a 2200 with the intention of running it with my 2000.

The 2200 manual stated that the 2000 had to be a later serial # than, EU2000i/EU2000i Companion, EAAJ-2017305/EACT-1000001. Of course my 2000 # was earlier. Yours?

Would really like to try it anyway. The manual say never do it but what do they know!
Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #94

Carl in Florida told me this:

"...Given that you indicate an Escape Trailer which uses an 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin, I am surprised that the A/C will not start. Do you have the digital thermostat? With the digital thermostat, the fan starts before the compressor kicks in. I’m not sure how the A/C starts without the digital thermostat, but if both the fan and compressor are starting at the same time that could be the problem."

He says his air ran without issue on the Honda 2000 before he installed the Easy Start. Anyone have the same thing happen? I do not have a digital thermostat controlling my Penguin. The compressor starts immediately with it's on/off dial.
Attached Thumbnails
dials.jpg  
Old 07-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Did you pair up your 2000 and 2200 successfully? Reason I ask is I bought a 2200 with the intention of running it with my 2000.

The 2200 manual stated that the 2000 had to be a later serial # than, EU2000i/EU2000i Companion, EAAJ-2017305/EACT-1000001. Of course my 2000 # was earlier. Yours?

Would really like to try it anyway. The manual say never do it but what do they know!
I was lucky that my Serial Number fell within the range required to pair with the 2200. It works well. I'm really curious what the harm would be to run it with one outside the range they give. I'm gonna do a google search and see if anything comes up.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #96

"Connecting an EU2200i with an EU2000i or EU2000i Companion that is not within the compatible serial range above may cause a low voltage output, which can damage tools and appliances powered by the generators." So, can you check your voltage output and see if it is correct?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #97

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Carl in Florida told me this:

"...Given that you indicate an Escape Trailer which uses an 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin, I am surprised that the A/C will not start. Do you have the digital thermostat? With the digital thermostat, the fan starts before the compressor kicks in. I’m not sure how the A/C starts without the digital thermostat, but if both the fan and compressor are starting at the same time that could be the problem."

He says his air ran without issue on the Honda 2000 before he installed the Easy Start. Anyone have the same thing happen? I do not have a digital thermostat controlling my Penguin. The compressor starts immediately with it's on/off dial.
From what I've read the main difference between and easy start and a simple hard start capacitor is that the easy start turns on the fan first and allows the generator to take up that load, prior to starting the compressor. On my old trailer with 13,500 btu air conditioner, I would do that simply by turning the knob towards fan only setting first, and then continue around to the air conditioner setting.

There was recently as question about water heaters which got me thinking, I wonder if people having problems running their air conditioner off a 2000 or 2200 watt generator, are turning the 120 volt on their water heater off?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #98

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
From what I've read the main difference between and easy start and a simple hard start capacitor is that the easy start turns on the fan first and allows the generator to take up that load, prior to starting the compressor. On my old trailer with 13,500 btu air conditioner, I would do that simply by turning the knob towards fan only setting first, and then continue around to the air conditioner setting.

There was recently as question about water heaters which got me thinking, I wonder if people having problems running their air conditioner off a 2000 or 2200 watt generator, are turning the 120 volt on their water heater off?
It is a little more than that. When it starts the compressor, it limits the starting current. You can tell by the difference - after adding the Easy Start, there is no longer the compressor start up clunk, and the starting current is limited well below what it would be without it. Check their Data Sheet...

I believe the current Penguin II ACs used by Escape (including my 2017) already separate the fan start from the compressor start.

I would agree with checking for other loads - while it could be the altitude, I'm surprised a 2200 watt generator won't start the Penguin II 11,000 BTU AC. I have a Sportsman 2200 watt gas/propane generator and is had no problem in the eco mode on propane starting mine before I added the Easy Start. Of course they are different brands, but I'd still want to do some checking to see why it isn't working.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #99

It will run a 1500 watt ceramic heater but only on low, and thermostat set to half way. It runs a hair dryer, 1875 watts, but also only on low. Forget about eco mode here.

The question is - in the trailer - does having a wired in to the air conditioner a separate, digital thermostat do the same job as an Easy Start? (Meaning, start the fan running first.)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #100

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It will run a 1500 watt ceramic heater but only on low, and thermostat set to half way. It runs a hair dryer, 1875 watts, but also only on low. Forget about eco mode here.

The question is - in the trailer - does having a wired in to the air conditioner a separate, digital thermostat do the same job as an Easy Start? (Meaning, start the fan running first.)
No. As I mentioned in the previous post, the Easy Start actually reduces the locked rotor current (compressor start up current).

Whether that will be enough to solve your problem is the question. The problem starting the 1500 watt heater & the hair dryer leads me to believe there is a problem with the generator, particularly if you have jetted it for your altitude. It would be useful if you could borrow or rent another WEN or other brand same size generator for a test.