Rv gps - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how you like it once you get it, if you get it, I'd like to try something other than Garmin.
After a day of online research on the Garmin 760LMT and Rand McNally 7730 LM, I'm pretty well decided on the Rand McNally 7730 LM.

I like the features it offers including
  • lifetime map updates
  • Custom RV Programming for RV type, size, and configuration
  • POI and services along the route
  • Cautionary alerts regarding low bridges, RV restrictions, and Propane Restrictions
These basic features seem to be common to both units but the Rand McNally 7730LM offers some additional features that appeal to me and would suit my needs:
  • The Rand McNally 7730 LM coordinates with the Rand McNally print maps. I like to start my planning with paper maps or an atlas.
  • I also like the Rand McNally web based TripMaker software. I found it easy to create and change a route to suit my needs. Adding stops and adjusting the route was simple. After creating the route to my liking in the TripMaker software, I can upload the route file to the device for navigation.
  • I love the planning tools in the Rand McNally that show various POI. The software offers all the necessities like rest stops, campgrounds, gas and food, and also have quirky things like the Chainsaw Carved Chicken in Eau Claire, WI (which you know is already on my list )
  • I also like the ability to create checklists, keep track of maintenance, track fuel costs and consumption, and track a route with breadcrumbs in the device.
  • The address book is also a great feature for me. I have family and friends scattered across the US and it will be handy to import their addresses to the device and use these addresses to create navigation routes.
  • I'll also make use of the WiFi connection for weather and local services using the hotspot on my phone.

The only real advantage the Garmin unit had for me over the Rand McNally unit was the voice command feature. Since I'll be traveling alone that would be handy. In the final analysis, however, the rich features of the Rand McNally 7730 LM outweighed the convenience of the voice command feature.
I was also swayed by what I read in online reviews.
In addition to the reviews on the technical websites offered here, I spent time on shopping websites reading comments from customers. Both units had strong positive and negative reviews across various shopping websites but what I noticed was that most of the customer complaints regarding the Rand McNally 7730 LM seemed to be that the unit failed out of the box or shortly after purchase from some sort of hardware issues. The complaints about the Garmin 760LMT, however, were more centered on continued functionality (software) issues. For my money, I'd rather risk a hardware issue than have to deal with ongoing software glitches and poor performance. I'll let you know how the unit works out and if my assessments are correct after I purchase and use it for a while. Wish me luck!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
  • Chainsaw Carved Chicken in Eau Claire, WI (which you know is already on my list )
If you go to Eau Claire, make a side jaunt over to Chippewa Falls and go to their local museum. It looks like a nondescript building from the outside, like a former school library, but when you go in and turn the corner you see a roomful of supercomputers that must have cost $50 million new, maybe $100 million. The reason: both Cray Research and SGI (which owned Cray for a while) built supercomputers in Chippewa Falls. Cray still does. There's also a room dedicated to Leinenkugel if you're more into beer than computing.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #43

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Sarah,
Just curious, why did you compare the 7730 to 760 rather than the Garmin 770 or 660? They are brand new, which makes them 2-3 years newer than the 760.
Given the reasons you choose the 7730, I doubt the 770/660 would have come out on top because your primary reasons for choosing the 7730 is the integration with the RM Road Atlas. I also use the Road Atlas when planning each day's drive, so I can easily understand your priorities. I chose the 760 before I hit the road and therefore didn't anticipate how essential the Road Atlas would be to me. It would be great if RM would add scenic routing to their options. This should be pretty easy for the to do because that data is in their hard copy maps. The data is always the hardest part.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Sarah,
Just curious, why did you compare the 7730 to 760 rather than the Garmin 770 or 660? They are brand new, which makes them 2-3 years newer than the 760.
Given the reasons you choose the 7730, I doubt the 770/660 would have come out on top because ...
Hi Rich, I did look at the newer Garmin models as well, but there didn't seem to be an appreciable difference among the various Garmin models that overtook the RM 7730. Also, unless there is a compelling list of must have new features, I tend to purchase technology that is a bit behind the latest release. This seems to serve me well since I find new releases often need a bit of time to work out bugs . I also trust the reviews of a unit that has had a bit more time to prove the stability of it's functionality. You are right too in that the 7760 had the features I most desired in the end. Did I see that you will be picking up your 5.0TA in Sept? What is your hatch date? I'm scheduled to pick up Wild Thing on Sept 22...only 87 more days....
Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #45

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Seems to me that Rand McNally is more dependent on Wi-Fi for a number of features to be active, and Garmin cell data. Is this others' take(s)?
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I tend to purchase technology that is a bit behind the latest release. This seems to serve me well since I find new releases often need a bit of time to work out bugs .
Good idea-- I do the same thing.

I think I'll have to look into the Rand McNally GPS as well. I've tried the Garmin and Magellan and have been a bit disappointed. I'm willing to try one more at some point. Thanks for the info.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you go to Eau Claire, make a side jaunt over to Chippewa Falls and go to their local museum. It looks like a nondescript building from the outside, like a former school library, but when you go in and turn the corner you see a roomful of supercomputers that must have cost $50 million new, maybe $100 million. The reason: both Cray Research and SGI (which owned Cray for a while) built supercomputers in Chippewa Falls. Cray still does. There's also a room dedicated to Leinenkugel if you're more into beer than computing.
Mike, thank you for the info..both suggestions sound interesting!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Seems to me that Rand McNally is more dependent on Wi-Fi for a number of features to be active, and Garmin cell data. Is this others' take(s)?

Susan,
My Garmin RV 760 LMT doesn't have any cellular capabilities. What it does have is:
- Bluetooth to communicate with the phone (I don't use this)
- FM receiver to get traffic data (this only works in major cities)
- some kind of radio receiver to get the video feed from the rear view camera(s). It doesn't call this wifi and it's only used for video. You can buy a camera bundled with the 760 or buy them separately. It can accommodate up to four cameras. If you have more than one, you can select which to display on the screen.
I use my laptop to update the 760. It takes an hour or two to download new maps. Software updates only take a few minutes.
The new Garmin RV 770 LMT-S uses wifi to get local data. I guess you'd have to stop at Starbucks or somewhere else. I hear a few new cars have wifi but I don't know anything about that. I have tethering on my phone, but I would never trust a GPS with an open connection to my phone. (This is not an issue with my 760 because it doesn't have wifi.)
Rich
Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Did I see that you will be picking up your 5.0TA in Sept? What is your hatch date? I'm scheduled to pick up Wild Thing on Sept 22...only 87 more days....

Hi Sarah,
My 5.0 TA will be officially hatched on September 7. Like you, I can't wait! I ordered it last August and it seems like it's taken forever. We didn't go for early delivery because it doesn't fit into DW's schedule. I'm retired, she's just tired.
I love the name of your trailer!
My 5.0 TA will be Jackie's Escape. During a 1920's vacation in New England, my grandparents bought a whirligig who they named Jackie. They took him home to California where spun his time away on Balboa Island. He retired in 1964 but continued his life via multiple clone copies.
Ninety years after Jackie began his epic journey, he hits the road again. He is my family's avatar.
Rich