Rv lock - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2023, 05:39 AM   #21
JWR

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17sd
Roader

We bought one last May, and it quit a couple of months ago so I call RV Lock and they had me replace the 2 control boards and I also had to replace the seal because that might have been the reason that the boards failed. Our looks as if it may have been reconditioned even though I was under the impression that I was buying new.
JWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Of course you can always change the numbers you use at any time. This will extend the life of your keypad.

All these locks look the same but we did get one that was all metal except for the battery cover and came with two remotes and a replacement keypad.

At $160 Canadian on Amazon.ca it was a great value and I am very impressed with its construction.
This looks interesting. Probably half the price of getting RV Lock to Canada and, on the surface at least, looks identical.
Have you had it installed Eggscape?
On Amazon there is one for $165 and another for $142. I can't see what the difference is.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Speaking of locks and security. I am going to upgrade my hitch lock. It looks like either Proven Industries or Ft. Knox that have been discussed here. Both look similar but Ft. Knox lets you upgrade to a stainless-steel lock and seems a few dollars less. Any thoughts?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:19 PM   #24
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
Speaking of locks and security. I am going to upgrade my hitch lock. It looks like either Proven Industries or Ft. Knox that have been discussed here. Both look similar but Ft. Knox lets you upgrade to a stainless-steel lock and seems a few dollars less. Any thoughts?

Proven Industries also allows you to upgrade to a stainless puck lock if you order from them directly. They will also confirm the correct lock if you send them a photo of your coupler. The stainless is $100 USD extra.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #25

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Of course you can always change the numbers you use at any time. This will extend the life of your keypad.

All these locks look the same but we did get one that was all metal except for the battery cover and came with two remotes and a replacement keypad.

At $160 Canadian on Amazon.ca it was a great value and I am very impressed with its construction.
Well I just brought the latest version of this.

For the life of me I can’t get it to change the default code.

Any suggestions?

Also I hadn’t appreciated the remote/keypad lock only controls the deadbolt and not the other lock on the door opening latch. I presume it’s the same for all of these locks?

Not sure of its use in this case unless folks are happy with just the deadbolt locked but not the latch handle?
Old 10-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
For the life of me I can’t get it to change the default code.

Any suggestions?
Found this online….is this what you are doing?

How to reset the password?
Hold down the number “8” button long press first; then long press “Lock” button, both keys are pressed 1-2 seconds together now, first release the “lock” button, then quickly release the “8” button. A beep will be heard, and the numeric keypad will start flashing, which means the operation is successful.
Enter the initial password "1 2 3 4" + Lock button to confirm.
Enter the new password + Lock button within 2 seconds (the new password needs to be entered twice), you will hear 2 beep sound, the new password is successfully set, and the number of passwords is not limited.

How to Code Reset?
If you forget your password, you can press and hold code reset to reset to the initial password "1 2 3 4".
Old 10-23-2023, 08:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Found this online….is this what you are doing?

How to reset the password?
Hold down the number “8” button long press first; then long press “Lock” button, both keys are pressed 1-2 seconds together now, first release the “lock” button, then quickly release the “8” button. A beep will be heard, and the numeric keypad will start flashing, which means the operation is successful.
Enter the initial password "1 2 3 4" + Lock button to confirm.
Enter the new password + Lock button within 2 seconds (the new password needs to be entered twice), you will hear 2 beep sound, the new password is successfully set, and the number of passwords is not limited.

How to Code Reset?
If you forget your password, you can press and hold code reset to reset to the initial password "1 2 3 4".
Yep, not working.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
The new procedure for changing the code is not documented on the website. Hold the reset pin button until it beeeps
Type in the new code
Hit lock
Type in the new code again

The eliminated the keypad 8 I expect for security
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #29

Ok so that worked, thanks!

But the default 1234 code also still works. Obviously can’t leave it like that. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Quote:
Ok so that worked, thanks!

But the default 1234 code also still works. Obviously can’t leave it like that. Any ideas?
Don't you have to hit lock again after entering the new code as described in Old Waves post to get the 1234 code overwritten? I will go try this on my E-21.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Don't you have to hit lock again after entering the new code as described in Old Waves post to get the 1234 code overwritten? I will go try this on my E-21.
Chama
Any luck?
Old 10-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I purchased a new RVLock in late July for our new 5.0. I installed it after returning home with the new camper, only to discover that I could not change the code from the default 1234. I would push and hold the button on the back side of the unit, but nothing would happen. I was able to program the two fobs, but was much more interested in using a code than the fobs. After numerous attempts and re-reads of the instructions, I contacted RVLock (left them a voice message after waiting on hold for 1/2 hour). They contacted me the next day. After confirming that I was using the correct procedure (by having me attempt the program while on the phone with them), they concluded that the back side of the unit, which contains the programming circuitry, was bad, and that they would send me a new one.

A week later I received and installed the new control unit (back side). I was able to reprogram the code (yea!), however, the fobs would not program to this unit. I again contacted RVLock and heard back from them a few days later. This time, they asked me to take and send them video of me attempting to program the fobs. I sent the videos…a week later the customer service rep emailed me and said he needed to have his tech department investigate. Two weeks later, I heard back from the rep that the programming circuitry must be faulty and that I needed a new control unit. They were out of stock at the time, but would be getting more in within a week or so and they would send me one when they received them. That email came on September 15th. As of October 26th, I haven’t heard or received anything from them.

Not having useable fobs isn’t a big deal, as we almost exclusively use the code to lock/unlock the door. I have had no problems using the code, and the unit itself seems well built. So, I cannot say I’m sorry I made the purchase, but based solely on my experience, I would say they might have some issues with quality, and customer service.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #33

"I purchased a new RVLock in late July for our new 5.0."

Just to be clear I purchased one of the cheaper Chinese rip-offs. But think I'm going to return it. I haven't been able to resolve those issues with changing the codes.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Just to be clear I purchased one of the cheaper Chinese rip-offs. But think I'm going to return it.
I was going to recommend that but didn't want to be rude
Old 10-26-2023, 10:13 PM   #35

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Clearly these are not Chinese Rip Offs, but are the exact same lock, made in the same factory, but for different customers. RVLock just happened to be the first to market them.

On my CarmTek lock I encountered problems programming it and finally was successful. Here is what I wrote in a 2020 thread on the Bigfoot forum about this...... As for programming, I carefully followed the instructions several times, and it would not accept a new code. Then I watched the video, and yes, I was doing it exactly like the video. So again I tried, however instead of pushing the code reset once, I did it a second time. Then I did as before, and it worked that time. The tone for the code reset is very low, and difficult to hear, much quieter than the other sounds, but I was hearing it each time.

Charles
Old 10-27-2023, 12:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Clearly these are not Chinese Rip Offs, but are the exact same lock, made in the same factory, but for different customers. RVLock just happened to be the first to market them.
Charles
Yep you’re probably right, I haven’t seen the other locks in person so can’t compare.

I’ve been able to change the code but the default 1234 code still also works. Not good, so I’m returning it.

I just wanted a more secure door lock than the stock one. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice. These remote numbered pads are all still only as secure as the physical barrel lock they come with.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Yep you’re probably right, I haven’t seen the other locks in person so can’t compare.

I’ve been able to change the code but the default 1234 code still also works. Not good, so I’m returning it.

I just wanted a more secure door lock than the stock one. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice. These remote numbered pads are all still only as secure as the physical barrel lock they come with.
You are correct, the key tumblers are pure crap, but new ones are better than when I got mine.

I was not looking so much for more security, but to avoid carrying keys around all the time. I just wasn't expecting the crappy lock tumblers.

As an alternative, the Bauer locks may be of better quality, I just don't like the dual number buttons.

https://bauerproducts.com/product-ca...cts/rvhandles/

Charles
Old 10-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My RVLock failed and they sent me new circuit boards. I tried the method in the instructions I had to no avail. I contacted them and got this quick reply. The second method was the one I had that failed. The first one, mentioned here, works fine. Probably just a new programming code entered into the circuit boards.

Jessi (RVLock)

Oct 13, 2023, 11:30 AM MDT

Hey!

Thank you for reaching out to RVLock! My name is Jessi and I would be happy to help you today.

We have 2 different programming methods, so I will send both of those over to you and attach a video to each below! That way, you have the resolution if your handle has a different programming.

1st programming option:
Hold down the “code reset”
Type in your new code and press lock
Type in your new code again and press lock
(You have 30 seconds to do this, but this should program it)
You can follow along a programming video here. (start video at 4:45)

2nd programming option:
Start by holding down the #8, while holding it down, press the lock button.
Release both at the same time
Type in that default of 1234, and press lock.
Type in your new code, and press lock.
Type in your new code again, and press lock.
(You only have 10 seconds for this programming, so move quickly)
You can follow along with this programming video here. (start at 2:08)

Thanks!
Jessi
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote