Rv lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 escape
Rv lock

Does anyone have any opinions on locks sold by rv lock that have both a combination a fob and a key??

We are thinking of adding one to our 5,0?

Many thanks!
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What year is your 5.0, your profile doesn't say and not all locks fit all RV doors.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 escape
Rv lock

Our 5.0 is a 2022
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on locks sold by rv lock that have both a combination a fob and a key??

Many thanks!
We have a 2022 E17 and got the V4.0, which I believe is the model that fits the current Escapes. Swapping them out was easy and we like the convenience of the keypad. We haven't used the key-less fobs much but when we did a few months after purchase the batteries were dead. RV-Locks promptly sent two new fobs. For us they work great and one of the better mods we've made.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post

Many thanks!
We’ve got this on our list of possible upgrades too. Here’s a link to a previous thread on this topic (as you read through, you’ll find links to other Escape forum threads on RVLock, as well). Hope it helps!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ale-22647.html
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Love the lock. Never use the fob, though, so could have done without it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
The fobs are not that fobulous, eh?
Old 01-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
They work fine. For someone with kids I think they'd be great- you could unlock the door remotely when your kid was running over to get something and then relock it (which the kid might forget to do.) But when you have a code there is no real point for you to have a fob for yourself. It's not like the truck where you can use the fob to flash the lights or remote start.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #9
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

To follow on what Bobbie54 said, the fobs work well, we just don't find them necessary at this point. Just one more thing to carry around when all you need to do is punch in a 4 digit code. I used one of the fobs when I took our trailer to an RV shop. That was convenient because I didn't have to give them the code or a key.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Dodge Dually cummins "Puff and Stuff" towing 2022-21C
I found that the electronic lock would have difficulty unlocking at 20*F. The sliding bolt seems to have drag at cold temperatures. Glad we had the key. Not real confident in the unit now...

If you don't have high expectations, you will never be disappointed...
C-weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
It's not like the truck where you can use the fob to flash the lights or remote start.
Now that you mention it, that would be a pretty cool feature to have some of the lights on the Escape turn on when you approach with a fob. Our F150 does it and sometimes it is nice to have that lighting available.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
To piggyback on what others have said, we like the RV Lock. We got the V4 right hand version for our 2020 19' and it was a very easy swap.
Like others, we don't use the fob. It works, but it's just one more thing to carry around and locking manually is simply a one button press (which I didn't know about for almost a year) and unlocking is a 4 digit code and easy to do. We do carry it around on our neck "badge carrier" at some rallies though but usually forget about using it.
Like all our fiberglass campers, we do add a bit of lithium grease to the bolt and striker now and then to keep it working smoothly.
The only issue we had was the number membrane started cracking so we got a free replacement under warranty but did have to pay the $1.99 postage. That was easy to fix also.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
While full timing in our 21 the RV Lock only lasted about one year. The plastic back plate started cracking from tugging the door closed. Also, I noticed after a few months it became easy to tell what numbers are used in the combination because the membrane would develop permanent dents in the numbers used.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We use the key bob so that the indentations don’t show up. Haven’t had any issues with the Rv lock in 4 yrs
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
RVLock now has a silicone button/pad to replace the cheap plastic membrane. Remember these are made in China and are available under a half dozen different brand names. The Keys are cheesy and probably easier to pick than entering the combination.

Silicone replace number pad
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/a...42649755713730

I have a Carmtek brand lock and ordered the silicone pad and installed in mine.

Charles
Old 02-12-2023, 09:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 21C
We also purchased the V4.0 for our 2020 21C. The lock was easy to install all though the latch on our unit is a bit off so it took a bit to get that to work well. I believe it is a ETI issue as our factory lock didn't work perfectly either.

On the Key Fob we keep one in the TV that way if we think we have forgotten to lock the door after leaving, we can always lock it on the go. Might even be easier to hit the button from the cab before exiting at fuel stops for quick entry.

As for purchasing one we waited for a holiday sale. pretty significant savings.

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
While full timing in our 21 the RV Lock only lasted about one year. The plastic back plate started cracking from tugging the door closed. Also, I noticed after a few months it became easy to tell what numbers are used in the combination because the membrane would develop permanent dents in the numbers used.
Of course you can always change the numbers you use at any time. This will extend the life of your keypad.

All these locks look the same but we did get one that was all metal except for the battery cover and came with two remotes and a replacement keypad.

At $160 Canadian on Amazon.ca it was a great value and I am very impressed with its construction.
Attached Thumbnails
BD49145F-5A99-4E84-B3E8-019B4D8577A0.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Of course you can always change the numbers you use at any time. This will extend the life of your keypad.

All these locks look the same but we did get one that was all metal except for the battery cover and came with two remotes and a replacement keypad.

At $160 Canadian on Amazon.ca it was a great value and I am very impressed with its construction.
Interesting. So even the backplate is metal on the one you bought? That was my main complaint. The plastic backplate would flex every time I pulled the door closed from the inside and eventually developed a crack that finally resulted in complete failure. A metal backplate would have fixed that problem and the silicon keypad would fix the indentation problem.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:56 AM   #19
SRS

Quote:
Interesting. So even the backplate is metal on the one you bought? That was my main complaint. The plastic backplate would flex every time I pulled the door closed from the inside and eventually developed a crack that finally resulted in complete failure. A metal backplate would have fixed that problem and the silicon keypad would fix the indentation problem.

My RV Lock V4 looks just like that one and appears to be all metal with the exception of the battery cover. Neither the handle or the internal/external latch release are plastic. Maybe whoever makes these found plastic wasn't so great? Purchased July 2022, $175 USD after discounts on Amazon.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes the inside is metal as well. You might be able to see the difference between the material used for the battery lid and the case/handle.

The only concern is the battery placement diagram on the plastic battery lid is wrong! The batteries should go in like this.

I took this picture before the install.
Attached Thumbnails
D062E027-FD1C-4227-A83A-B79C4E59C29F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote