RV Superbag - your thoughts? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Acworth, Georgia
Trailer: Escape 19
Posts: 143
RV Superbag - your thoughts?

We are outfitting our new to us Escape 19. The winning feature for us (aside from the exceptional quality thing) was the full queen bed. We got past the crawl over issue, and are trying to figure out how to "make" the bed.

The previous owner endorsed the RV Superbag. Since I bought the camper, AND a new truck, AND funky tacky lights that SWMBO just had to have, I am trying to stop the bleeding. I have to save money for gas and camping essentials such as rum. Since I overthink everything I am researching the RV Superbag as thoroughly as I can. The RV Superbag people are pretty proud of their product. I have no issue paying a high price for quality, but if this is simply a glorified sleeping bag I shall find another way. I have read from people that have actually USED the RV Superbag and love it. I get all the "pro's" and would like to hear additional testimonials ... but I'd REALLY like to hear the con's (aside from the high price)

I'd also like to hear from those that made your own. I have few skills and I'm pretty lazy, but I'm also cheap. So if I can make this thing ....
__________________

Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,471
I don't think I would want or have any need for something like the Superbag or even a sleeping bag in my Escape. I use my sleeping bags enough while back-country camping. Regular sheets and blankets have worked well for us in our 19'.
__________________

__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,084
I too am on the side of preferring regular sheets blankets and duvets. I like the flexibility of being able to uncover various body parts when I get too warm. I love sleeping bags for their intended use, sleeping in a tent in the backcountry, but other than that I am glad to forgo them.

You will find, like most things here, that those that made the choice to buy them will love them, and those that made the choice to not use them prefer it that way.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,890
We use high quality, high thread count sheets, and a good summer or winter weight blanket. That's part of the reason we got a trailer with a queen mattress. I suppose the superbag makes it easier to "make the bed" in the morning, but for us it's not worth the price.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,874
I managed to snag a TravaSak on sale for $99 years ago and still use it today. You just purchase new sheets when needed and it makes "making the bed" real easy.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,171
I'm still happy with two sleeping bags zipped together; a lightweight one and a heavier one. In summer, the lighter one is on top. In cooler weather, the heavy one is on top.
I don't want sheets. With my flailing about in my sleep, I just get tangled up.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kountrykamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
Since I bought the camper, AND a new truck, AND funky tacky lights that SWMBO just had to have, I am trying to stop the bleeding.

Those must be some really nice funky tacky lights! I would like to see a picture of them.
__________________
Tom
Kountrykamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
I have few skills and I'm pretty lazy, but I'm also cheap. So if I can make this thing ....
It sounds like we are kindred spirits. I would really like to have one of these things, but can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
The Quilting Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Abilene, Texas
Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Posts: 417
I talked with my husband about the Superbag idea because I thought it was cleaver and would be great to roll up and stuff in a cabinet for a neat trailer look. No worry with trying to make up a nice bed in a trailer. He said, "No way!" He likes his feet to be free and able to stick out of the covers.He won't even let me tuck in sheets. So he can't fuss when, by morning I have all the sheets on my side.

I am not so sure that a superbag would work for me either. I would start out all cozy at first, then have a hot flash and try to kick everything off, then a few minutes later get chilled. My bed is a mess by morning. I am afraid I might be too resticted and tangled in a zipped bag.

I guess it just depends on your sleeping needs.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kountrykamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post

I am not so sure that a superbag would work for me either. I would start out all cozy at first, then have a hot flash and try to kick everything off, then a few minutes later get chilled. My bed is a mess by morning. I am afraid I might be too resticted and tangled in a zipped bag.
Sounds like my life, I mean my wife, you get the idea...

Anyway this is a pro and not a con (I'm the guy telling Richard about them) and we have had one for 7 years. We never zip it like a bag so the wife is free to fling sheets all night just like at home. It wont let you hang your feet out the bottom because the sheets are sewn together at the bottom but will on the sides. They are expensive but sure make it easy in the morning and at night. The biggest problem we have is not wanting to get up in the morning.

Richard thought he could get it with the camper but he was wrong! He got the mattress cover though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9580.jpg (242.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9579.jpg (135.0 KB, 66 views)
__________________
Tom
Kountrykamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
arniesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
We are outfitting our new to us Escape 19. The winning feature for us (aside from the exceptional quality thing) was the full queen bed. We got past the crawl over issue, and are trying to figure out how to "make" the bed.


I'd also like to hear from those that made your own. I have few skills and I'm pretty lazy, but I'm also cheap. So if I can make this thing ....
I too like being able to hang a leg out if I get too warm. We use normal sheets and a very nice quilt my wife made. She used wool batting instead of the normal polyester fill. It is warmer than a normal quilt and resists moisture. If it is a really cold night, we have a sleeping bag that unzips flat like a comforter that we put over the top.

I don't think I would like the super bag as it appear too limiting. I like the options of layering. The quilt smooths out easy enough to make the bed look nice. Plus the colors match the dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0963.jpg (273.5 KB, 40 views)
__________________
- Arnie & Paula & Kizzy the rat terrier
https://www.arniesea.com
- 2019 5.0 TA, 2017 Tundra Platinum.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Felton, California
Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
Posts: 1,262
We just happened to purchase a Travasak when Camping World was carrying them a few years ago. For me, it was a godsend since I hated making the bed in the 19' and we don't have any problems with feeling confined (the zippers move easily enough). That said, I don't see why you couldn't zip two sleeping bags together to achieve the same result. No, you don't have the sheets but if someone were clever, they could sew two flat sheets together at the bottoms and then sew in Velcro at strategic points around both the edges of the sheets and the sleeping bags. Or get one of those Cocoon Silk travel sheets.
__________________

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The quilt smooths out easy enough to make the bed look nice. Plus the colors match the dog.
CCC (Canine Color Coordination) is important.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Plymouth, New Hampshire
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B due August
Posts: 59
We love, love, love our Travasak which I think is like the Superbag. We love the fact that it's not a sleeping bag and has the good quality sheets inside attached with velcro on the sides and bottom. It also zips on both side for easy in and out or if one of you gets hot in the night. This makes it so easy to make the bed in the morning as everything is attached. We were able to pick this up on a great sale a few years back and I feel it will last a long time. Oh, it also has a flip feature where the warmer winter side can be on top or the cooler summer side. Everything is machine washable.
blakebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakebt View Post
We love, love, love our Travasak which I think is like the Superbag. We love the fact that it's not a sleeping bag and has the good quality sheets inside attached with velcro on the sides and bottom. It also zips on both side for easy in and out or if one of you gets hot in the night.
Note that two sleeping bags zipped together can also be unzipped either side of the combo. The only thing missing is the sheets.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
CCC (Canine Color Coordination) is important.
Who of thunk that was a thing. They mailed it good though, and now set a president.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
CCC (Canine Color Coordination) is important.
Easy for you to say. Your dog matches anything.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 6,267
Cat and canine color coordination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Easy for you to say. Your dog matches anything.
We've had two calico cats and a tri color Sheltie, I'm always very much aware of color coordination so that's why I'm usually in camo. Can't miss.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,586
I would only note that the OP stated an awareness of "pros," and wanted to hear "cons." While some opinions such as "I don't think I would want to have" or "I don't think a Superbag would work for me either" May have a place in this discussion, I do not see them as valid to the question at hand (they are not opinions based upon experience; they are merely preconceived notions). How can anyone who has not used a Superbag or Travasak be able to accurately state either the pros or cons? Doing so is like saying "I have never tasted broccoli but I don't like it.
We have a Travasak and I can understand the comparison between it and a sleeping bag. I have also used conventional bedding, sheets and blankets in our trailers. The fiberglass trailer with an "easy to make" bed does not yet exist because not one of them allows standing on both sides, as most beds in a home dwelling allow.
My wife hates sleeping bags but loves the Travasak. When camping, I never minded sleeping bags but I do like the Travasak better. We keep both sides unzipped but the bottom is zipped. It is easy to straighten out in the morning, and can be pushed aside like standard bedding if one gets two warm. About the only "con" I can find is that it is slightly harder to change its sheets than changing the sheets on a bed at home where one can get on either side to tuck in the sheets. But it is not as difficult as trying to neatly tuck in the sheets on mattresses with little or no side access, and far easier to "smooth" the Travasak if the finished appearance of a "made bed" is important to you. And if you don't mind the bedding "bunching up" underneath you, maybe tucking in the bottom sheet is not important to you.
I would not use a Travasak or Superbag at home, but I wouldn't use anything else in the Escape. And I strongly agree with blakebt, who has written a post that I believe is spot on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakebt View Post
We love, love, love our Travasak which I think is like the Superbag. We love the fact that it's not a sleeping bag and has the good quality sheets inside attached with velcro on the sides and bottom. It also zips on both side for easy in and out or if one of you gets hot in the night. This makes it so easy to make the bed in the morning as everything is attached. We were able to pick this up on a great sale a few years back and I feel it will last a long time. Oh, it also has a flip feature where the warmer winter side can be on top or the cooler summer side. Everything is machine washable.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would only note that the OP stated an awareness of "pros," and wanted to hear "cons." While some opinions such as "I don't think I would want to have" or "I don't think a Superbag would work for me either" May have a place in this discussion, I do not see them as valid to the question at hand (they are not opinions based upon experience; they are merely preconceived notions). How can anyone who has not used a Superbag or Travasak be able to accurately state either the pros or cons? Doing so is like saying "I have never tasted broccoli but I don't like it.
We have a Travasak and I can understand the comparison between it and a sleeping bag. I have also used conventional bedding, sheets and blankets in our trailers. The fiberglass trailer with an "easy to make" bed does not yet exist because not one of them allows standing on both sides, as most beds in a home dwelling allow.
My wife hates sleeping bags but loves the Travasak. When camping, I never minded sleeping bags but I do like the Travasak better. We keep both sides unzipped but the bottom is zipped. It is easy to straighten out in the morning, and can be pushed aside like standard bedding if one gets two warm. About the only "con" I can find is that it is slightly harder to change its sheets than changing the sheets on a bed at home where one can get on either side to tuck in the sheets. But it is not as difficult as trying to neatly tuck in the sheets on mattresses with little or no side access, and far easier to "smooth" the Travasak if the finished appearance of a "made bed" is important to you. And if you don't mind the bedding "bunching up" underneath you, maybe tucking in the bottom sheet is not important to you.
I would not use a Travasak or Superbag at home, but I wouldn't use anything else in the Escape. And I strongly agree with blakebt, who has written a post that I believe is spot on:
I agree. Had a Travasak for our HiLo and it was great. Still have that one and used it on our pickup run. Bought a new one of more compatible color after pickup and works great in the 21'. I like the new one better since it has Velcro all the way around.
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×