RVLock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2024, 11:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
RVLock

The included RVLock that came on our E23 was our 2nd such product. The first one worked well for the 18 months we owned the 21C and, to my knowledge, is still doing itís intended thing.

So, after our friends took a look at our 23 and decided to buy one, I recall them asking about the auto lock feature and told them that it was standard on the 1st Edition.

A couple of weeks into their configuration, they were told the ETI was discontinuing the RVLock because of quality issues. Their new trailer came with a standard physical key only lock.

While we were at Osoyoos, our remote decided to stop talking the the lock. Not always, but often enough to not make it worthwhile to carry the remote around in our pockets.

A few days ago, I called RVLock and told them the issue and they said the warranty was lifetime and that they would send a new printed circuit board. It arrived today and I will stick it in tomorrow and see how it goes.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 12:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Hmmmm - your post is quite timely, as I almost ordered a keyless RVLock earlier today.

The deadbolt portion of the standard lock on our 2024 5.0 failed yesterday with the key not engaging the deadbolt. So I was locked out of the trailer as we're preparing for 3 week trip and had to break in, via the escape hatch (fortunately it was open at the time). I emailed ETI for a repair solution or replacement of the lockset, but have never been too impressed with the standard lock since day one, so I was thinking maybe I should upgrade to something else. But if ETI is saying they're having quality issues with the RVLock, perhaps I should hold off for a bit & just have my lock repaired or replaced in kind under warranty.

I'll be interested to hear how your lock performs with the new circuit board and if anyone else has had issues with the RVLock brand locks.
Thanks,
Jim
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:00 AM   #3
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
Hmmmm - your post is quite timely, as I almost ordered a keyless RVLock earlier today.

The deadbolt portion of the standard lock on our 2024 5.0 failed yesterday with the key not engaging the deadbolt. So I was locked out of the trailer as we're preparing for 3 week trip and had to break in, via the escape hatch (fortunately it was open at the time). I emailed ETI for a repair solution or replacement of the lockset, but have never been too impressed with the standard lock since day one, so I was thinking maybe I should upgrade to something else. But if ETI is saying they're having quality issues with the RVLock, perhaps I should hold off for a bit & just have my lock repaired or replaced in kind under warranty.

I'll be interested to hear how your lock performs with the new circuit board and if anyone else has had issues with the RVLock brand locks.
Thanks,
Jim
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but since I got my Escape and became a Forum member, I don't believe ETI was installing the RVLock Brand of automatic door locks. Both here and on Facebook's Escape Travel Trailer group, many have had problems with the ETI installed lock and upgraded to an RVLock V4.0. This is the model I purchased and installed and it's been working very well, now on it's 3rd season. The batteries in both remotes died within a few months and RVLock promptly sent me two new ones which still work. The truth is we almost never use the remotes but it's nice to have them just in case.

And yes, ETI and Escape owner have had so many problems with their ETI installed auto locks, it makes sense they finally discontinued them.

It's possible that others have had problems with their V4.0 locks as Bob mentioned above, but I rarely see comments about that in the groups I follow. Link to the lock below.

https://www.amazon.com/RVLock-Keyles...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
I agree with you SRS as I had ordered my Escape 21ne in April 2023. A few weeks after my build sheet was placed, ETI informed me that their auto lock system was discontinued and no other was available.

Fast forward several months since then I ordered a the RvLock v4 and installed it in minutes. No modification had to made to the door. Clean simple install. It has worked flawless since that time.

Sure you can purchase it online from different vendors but I elected to purchase it through RvLock themselves. They do have a great warranty and the RvLock v4 is built like a tank. It is heavy..... all metal, that's a good thing.

Well that's my 2 cents.

Cheers to ya......... and Happy Trails........ Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I had the lock Escape provided. The actual lock sort of worked- no electronic problems- but it didn't work well with the door and had to be slammed to close. (A lot of that is a door problem.) But when I put in the RV lock the difference in lock quality was instantly apparent. The deadbolt was sturdier and bigger, the wiring heavier, everything looked like a higher quality item. 3 years later- still working just fine. (And I bought a renewed one on sale- RV lock replaced one part that came cracked no questions asked and fast.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 04:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 21
I like the RV lock actually answers the phone if you have an issue. Ours stopped working on a trip, called them we got it working enough till they sent a new one to us where we were. Keypad board went bad. Haven’t had any issues since 2019
Old 06-11-2024, 12:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I did a post purchase install of the RVLock on our 21C, worked fine.

Our E23 came with an RVLock V4. That is the one that stopped responding to the remote reliably and that they sent a new circuit board for. Still have not installed the board.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I don't use the remote so I can't respond there. I picked mine up at Sumas June 2019 and at the nearby KOA campground my first MOD was an RVLock. I don't think ESCAPE offered them at that time. I had to change the keypad cover a couple of years ago and that's covered under warranty but that's my only issue. I also replaced all the hatch locks with key matched RVLock hatch locks. One key fits everything.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
I like the RV lock actually answers the phone if you have an issue. Ours stopped working on a trip, called them we got it working enough till they sent a new one to us where we were. Keypad board went bad. Havenít had any issues since 2019
I had an issue while on a 3 month trip last year. I contacted them with issues I was having and in short order had some free circuit boards sent out. Easy to replace and fixed the problem. The only issue I had was I could not program in my code, yet another contact with RVLock got me an immediate email with two ways of programming, the old way which I had tried and a new one that worked.

Now, if they would just get some stock in of their replacement pads.
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 11:26 AM   #10

Jim not sure if youíve tried this one but Iíve had it for 4 yrs now with no issues like the stock one that I replaced several times due to them cracking
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0403.jpg  
Old 06-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Jim not sure if youíve tried this one but Iíve had it for 4 yrs now with no issues like the stock one that I replaced several times due to them cracking
I do plan to get the Duro model faceplate but I need a different one, and it is out of stock. I did just put on my last of the thinner one, looks good but I find that with a busy year they start to crack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RVLock.png
Views:	5
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	74982
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I don't use the remote so I can't respond there. I picked mine up at Sumas June 2019 and at the nearby KOA campground my first MOD was an RVLock. I don't think ESCAPE offered them at that time. I had to change the keypad cover a couple of years ago and that's covered under warranty but that's my only issue. I also replaced all the hatch locks with key matched RVLock hatch locks. One key fits everything.

Well a few days after I commented things started going bad RVLock wise. Can't unlock with the keypad. On three occasions the door locked without any input. Luckily I had a key in my pocket. Anyway, we'll see how their warranty holds up.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Well a few days after I commented things started going bad RVLock wise. Can't unlock with the keypad. On three occasions the door locked without any input. Luckily I had a key in my pocket. Anyway, we'll see how their warranty holds up.
Well, I go through their process and fill in all the blanks and then they request a video and their site tells me my file is too large. It's a 14 second long video!

I no longer can recommend this product.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:30 PM   #14

Give them a call directly when I had 5he issue they were great on the phone and got us taken care of fast
Old 06-17-2024, 10:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Slamming a door............. no, no, no. As I close it I lift the outside or inside handle and push (outside), or pull (inside), to compress the seal and then give it a gentle push (outside) or pull (inside) and listen for the click of the lock tongue. Its become a habit with me. I also latch the screen door to the outside door before attempting to close a door.

Charles
Old 06-17-2024, 10:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
This is the second trailer I moved the rv lock to. I replaced the keypad with the better new design. I bought the rv lock as a refurb. I replaced the board in it this year. It was inexpensive and was easy to assemble.
I’d buy one again. You have to install it correctly and adjust the strike plate. Mine closes like Charles’s does, with a gentle pressure it clicks. I believe what Escape was using was a cheaper clone.
My remote works but I use the code nearly always
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:17 AM   #17

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We've considered the RV lock but wondered what happens when you forget the code with your phone inside the camper or if the batteries are dead.

Looking at the troubleshoot page on RV Lock's site it says you should always keep a key outside of the camper for these situations. Why not just carry a key in lieu of carrying a remote and/or trying to remember another access code?

Our 2016 F150 has an access code and we've never used it. Maybe we should start to see if we prefer the "keys free" method. We feel our truck battery will work every time while the AA batteries "might" unexpectedly fail.

We're still torn but still considering.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:00 AM   #18

That’s why you keep a door key in your pocket for backup
Old 06-18-2024, 07:02 AM   #19

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Thatís why you keep a door key in your pocket for backup
Why then change to the RV Lock? Are they more secure?

I've heard that the standard locks are keyed the same'ish.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We've considered the RV lock but wondered what happens when you forget the code with your phone inside the camper or if the batteries are dead.

Looking at the troubleshoot page on RV Lock's site it says you should always keep a key outside of the camper for these situations. Why not just carry a key in lieu of carrying a remote and/or trying to remember another access code?

Our 2016 F150 has an access code and we've never used it. Maybe we should start to see if we prefer the "keys free" method. We feel our truck battery will work every time while the AA batteries "might" unexpectedly fail.

We're still torn but still considering.
I prefer old-school, simple and compact for most things. I have never carried the factory or the auto-start remotes for my truck and am not interested in carrying any remote or having an access code. My truck key ring consists of 4 keys (truck, car, mailbox and house) and fits comfortably in my pant pocket.

When we're camping, the Escape lanyard is around my neck with 3 small keys on it, but can also easily fit in a pocket. I can't inadvertently lock myself out. If I lose my keys, my wife always has hers. I find the manual lock simple and effective and it has never needed replacement parts.

But to each their own.