RVLOCK installed on 2017 21' Escape - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
10 numbers, I bet everyone uses their telephone number, otherwise it would be impossible to remember.....
What makes you think I can remember my phone #; I never dial it!
( I carry a drivers license so I can remember who I am).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #122

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Anyone know if the wireless can be disabled?
Yes it can, there is a switch on the lock inside. Ours is left on, but we don't use the remotes as to me it is a kind of key to forget or lose, and we just use the keypad.

Anyone want to buy a couple remotes?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
( I carry a drivers license so I can remember who I am).
I should swap be sneaky and swap yours out for mine, then when you next check to see who you are you will wonder when you got so good looking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #124

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Note that the electronics actuate only the door latch lock, not the deadbolt lock. So if another in your camping party locks the deadbolt with the key when they leave the camper, the keypad alone will not unlock the deadbolt for you.
[CORRECTION] The electronics actuate the deadbolt, not the door handle latch. Either way, if both are locked by the physical key, the keypad alone won't let you in.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #125

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
So you have to have a hard key to fully secure the trailer. Another minus point.

I want to like these locks, but there are just a number of things they could have and should have done better. Maybe they’ll get it right in version 5.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
So you have to have a hard key to fully secure the trailer. Another minus point. I want to like these locks, but there are just a number of things they could have and should have done better. Maybe they’ll get it right in version 5.
Just a matter of better communication. Won't happen again. On a positive note, these electronic locks have unique registered keys that are not mass produced. You have to provide proof of purchase (verify information of your purchase maintained in their records) to order a replacement key. On the other hand, keys for standard RV locks can be purchased by simply knowing the code number for the lock which is often on a sticker on the lock that anyone can see if you don't remember to remove it. Not to fear monger, but let an unscrupulous stranger tour your camper, they see the lock code sticker on your door, they order a key by phone, and they now have a key to your camper. It can happen....
Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #127

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It can happen....

And then what? I can't wait for season two.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #128

All I can say is that it has been one of the best purchases for our trailer yet. Working on it the last couple days, it is so great to not have to worry about a key when I lock it and go back in a while later.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And then what? I can't wait for season two.
Just a short wait - enjoying watching the campground wildlife - until my wife came back from the bathhouse. Usually not a problem because we ordinarily go everywhere together while camping (walking, biking, fishing, exploring, etc.) - everywhere except the bathhouse, that is!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #130

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Note that the electronics actuate only the door latch lock, not the deadbolt lock. So if another in your camping party locks the deadbolt with the key when they leave the camper, the keypad alone will not unlock the deadbolt for you. Don't ask me how I know that. Luckily, I had my key with me....
The videos for these locks show the opposite with it locking the deadbolt portion only, not the door latch lock. Did she maybe lock the door latch? Or maybe if you lock the deadbolt with a key the electronics will not unlock it? Just a minor clarification of operation. The results are the same!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The videos for these locks show the opposite with it locking the deadbolt portion only, not the door latch lock. Did she maybe lock the door latch? Or maybe if you lock the deadbolt with a key the electronics will not unlock it? Just a minor clarification of operation. The results are the same!
My bad, you're right, it's the other way around (at least in the Northern hemisphere!). The keypad works the deadbolt lock and not the door latch lock. But my point is still the same - if both are locked by physical key, the keypad alone won't let you in. I've corrected my original post. Thanks....
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #132

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
All I can say is that it has been one of the best purchases for our trailer yet. Working on it the last couple days, it is so great to not have to worry about a key when I lock it and go back in a while later.

I totally get that. That sort of convenience, coupled with reasonable security, is what I’ve grown to love about the similar system on our F-150. But for the 9 and 0.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #133

Quote:
My bad, you're right, it's the other way around (at least in the Northern hemisphere!). The keypad works the deadbolt lock and not the door latch lock. But my point is still the same - if both are locked by physical key, the keypad alone won't let you in. I've corrected my original post. Thanks....
Dale: None of the videos on the RVLock go into detail on the interaction of locking with key and then unlocking with code or fob. If the deadbolt only is locked with a key will the code or fob unlock it??
Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #134

Quote:
Dale: None of the videos on the RVLock go into detail on the interaction of locking with key and then unlocking with code or fob. If the deadbolt only is locked with a key will the code or fob unlock it??
Yes, regardless of how it is locked (key or code), it can be unlocked either way (key or code), and visa versa. I also like how simple the keypad lock function works - just close the door and touch/hold the button that looks like a closed lock. Boom, it locks. I also like that you can turn the button sound effect off (the touch beeps are quite loud). While that also turns off the low battery warning beep, you can always open with the key even with dead batteries and then replace the batteries once opened with the key. We haven' found need for the fob (just one more thing to have to keep track of, so it stays home), but I assume it works the same as the lock and unlock buttons on the keypad.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #135

Quote:
Yes, regardless of how it is locked (key or code), it can be unlocked either way (key or code), and visa versa.
Great. Problem solved. So if someone wants to lock it with a key and someone else might return to the trailer beforehand then just lock the bottom deadbolt only. Got it.

...still waiting for one to come out small enough to work with the Classic door.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #136

Quote:
Great. Problem solved. So if someone wants to lock it with a key and someone else might return to the trailer beforehand then just lock the bottom deadbolt only. Got it. ...still waiting for one to come out small enough to work with the Classic door.
I found our FOB and tested it. It locks and unlocks the deadbolt without entry of a code number. Just push the open lock button to unlock the deadbolt, and push the closed lock button to lock the deadbolt. No code required for either. Simple, but that also means that if you lose your FOB, and someone else finds it, they can access your camper with just the push of a button - provided your lock's FOB access switch is "ON" and they can find your camper. FWIW, we leave our FOB at home and leave our FOB access switch turned to "OFF." But that's just us.
Have you checked the RVLock website? There is a new "compact" version, but I don't know if it's small enough.
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...keypad-for-rvs
The company usually puts things on sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #137

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
... if you lose your FOB, and someone else finds it, they can access your camper with just the push of a button - provided your lock's FOB access switch is "ON" and they can find your camper...
And if you drop your keys on the ground, they (those finding your keys) would also be able to access your camper, if they can find it. So why is using the FOB somehow worse than not using it?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
So why is using the FOB somehow worse than not using it?
Because both of us find it a pain to remember to take, remember which pocket it is in, and fumble to dig it out. Whether these reasons are a valid for others or not, and for better or worse, both of us prefer to not use one.

Seriously, wanna buy one, cheap!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
And if you drop your keys on the ground, they (those finding your keys) would also be able to access your camper, if they can find it. So why is using the FOB somehow worse than not using it?
FOB is not "worse", just superfluous to us. We both prefer using keys out of ingrained habit (house, work place, vehicles, old camper, etc.), but for camping, it's secured on a lanyard around my neck that can be tucked inside my shirt while biking. And the door has the handy keypad if we decide we want to use it, although we still find ourselves using keys out of habit and because we like to also lock the door latch lock. So taking along the FOB would just be over-over-kill. Again, nothing bad about the FOB. It's just not for us. Maybe if/when we sell the camper, way down the road, the next owner will appreciate it more than we do.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #140

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
FOB is not "worse", just superfluous to us. We both prefer using keys out of ingrained habit (house, work place, vehicles, old camper, etc.), but for camping, it's secured on a lanyard around my neck that can be tucked inside my shirt while biking. And the door has the handy keypad if we decide we want to use it, although we still find ourselves using keys out of habit and because we like to also lock the door latch lock. So taking along the FOB would just be over-over-kill. Again, nothing bad about the FOB. It's just not for us. Maybe if/when we sell the camper, way down the road, the next owner will appreciate it more than we do.
I am not promoting the fob. In fact I am perfectly happy with key only locks and consider the electronic locks to be a waste of my hard earned cash. If the electronic locks have similar quality of components as most electronic devices being produced these days, I would expect that it will need to be replaced again after a few years. I will stick with my simple keyed locks.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote