RVLOCK installed on 2017 21' Escape - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #141

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What I like about the simple keyed lock is that anybody with a key can unlock them.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #142
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What I like about the simple keyed lock is that anybody with a key can unlock them.
Yep, mine will probably work on yours, and vice versa!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #143

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 To FOB or not to FOB, that is the question.....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #144

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
RV Lock Failing

Because the doors are sealed so well now (2017 - 21 ft) it takes some effort to close the door from the inside. You need to yank on the handle of the lock to get the door closed. Therein lies the problem. The outside piece of the RV Lock is metal but the inside piece is plastic and that's the piece that needs to be yanked on. The original lock was metal inside and out. Last night we realized the handle on the inside was bending quite a bit while pulling on it to close the door. This morning I looked closely and noticed a crack propagating down through the 2 left side screw holes. Much longer and the entire handle will break free. I replaced the RV Lock with the original lock as installed by ETI. Of course, we past the warranty on the RV Lock by a couple months. I won't be buying another one.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Of course, we past the warranty on the RV Lock by a couple months. I won't be buying another one.
I too wish it was metal on the inside pull, but you must really have to be reefing on it hard to cause it to break. I have never really had any concern with the handle breaking, but I do not need to pull very hard to close our door. Maybe there was a flaw in the piece? Have you talked to the company? I had an issue with the key pad cover lifting a wee bit on one side, and they were very quick to send a replacement, though it can be bought cheap if needed too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too wish it was metal on the inside pull, but you must really have to be reefing on it hard to cause it to break. I have never really had any concern with the handle breaking, but I do not need to pull very hard to close our door. Maybe there was a flaw in the piece? Have you talked to the company? I had an issue with the key pad cover lifting a wee bit on one side, and they were very quick to send a replacement, though it can be bought cheap if needed too.
Jim, we've been full timing since we picked up the trailer last July and have used the lock every day. We do need to pull pretty hard to get the door closed and latched. I don't see any kind of flaw in the material. But the line of maximum stress runs right through the 2 screw holes and plastic just isn't a good enough material to handle it. Actually there are 3 holes there including the deadbolt throw. Except for that fatal flaw I like the lock. Very convenient. But until they beef it up I won't be buying another.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #147

Quote:
Jim, we've been full timing since we picked up the trailer last July and have used the lock every day. We do need to pull pretty hard to get the door closed and latched. I don't see any kind of flaw in the material. But the line of maximum stress runs right through the 2 screw holes and plastic just isn't a good enough material to handle it. Actually there are 3 holes there including the deadbolt throw. Except for that fatal flaw I like the lock. Very convenient. But until they beef it up I won't be buying another.
Stephen, I would still send your feedback to RVlock. Despite it being a negative I would hope they would still take it to heart, and it might get them to realize they should maybe beef that part up. Heck, if they offered a replacement part in metal I bet a lot of folks would be interested in that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Stephen, I would still send your feedback to RVlock. Despite it being a negative I would hope they would still take it to heart, and it might get them to realize they should maybe beef that part up. Heck, if they offered a replacement part in metal I bet a lot of folks would be interested in that.
Did that.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #149

Quote:
Did that.
Great, do let us know what they have to say.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #150

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Perhaps it's just that the door on our 2017 21' doesn't seal as tight as others for some reason, but we have the RVLock and have not experienced the same problem - yet, anyway. But thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #151

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
We also have the RV Lock installed and while our interior handle hasn't cracked (yet), we did have to pull pretty hard to make sure the door latched completely.

We installed the Camco Screen Door Crossbar and now use it to close the door. It beefs up the screen door and we no longer have to pull on the RV Lock handle to close the door. We are happy with that solution. It would be nice if RV Lock would improve the strength of the plastic handle but this works for now.
Attached Thumbnails
door handle.jpeg  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #152

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
We also have the RV Lock installed and while our interior handle hasn't cracked (yet), we did have to pull pretty hard to make sure the door latched completely.

We installed the Camco Screen Door Crossbar and now use it to close the door. It beefs up the screen door and we no longer have to pull on the RV Lock handle to close the door. We are happy with that solution. It would be nice if RV Lock would improve the strength of the plastic handle but this works for now.
YIKES!!! ordered the rvlock but haven't put it on yet. Didn't know about the plastic interior handle. We have the camco screen door handle but feel that is not very strong either since it is just two little screews that can pull through the metal on the screen door after some use.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post

What connects your screen door to exterior door? On my 5.0 it’s just a piece of plastic that does not look designed to do any more than just hold it against the exterior door. Perhaps adjusting the striker would make the door close a little easier?
Attached Thumbnails
E642A0DF-3D9C-4EEE-B6CE-978DC7EA66A4.jpg   A3252B67-65D3-4B92-A73A-23901895DB6E.jpg  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #154
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I sprayed a bit of silicone lube into the workings of the lock, and it made all the difference for me. Door closes and opens super easily now. Probably should have used Teflon or carbon lube, and probably will when it's time to re-spray. Still, the point is that lubricating the moving parts on the lock makes all the difference.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #155

End of Story

I contacted RV Lock about the problem. They requested photos so I sent some. Their response was to send me an invoice for $36.98 for a new back piece. I don't think that will be happening.

The problem is not the lock mechanism. It works fine. The striker is adjusted out as far as it will go. The problem is the gasket has to be compressed enough to allow the latch to set and that requires a firm yank on the inside handle. The plastic RV Lock inside piece won't hold up to the force required. It flexes every time the door is closed from the inside and will eventually crack. The original metal lock from ETI actually requires less force to close the door because none of the applied force is used in bending the plastic. We also have the Camco screen door handle but mounted it lower than shown in the photo and it won't do the job.

We use the door every day since we full time and I figure we probably put at least 500 yanks on the plastic piece before it started to fail. I don't want to have to spend $36.98 every year or so for a new plastic part so no more RVLock for me.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #156

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
As soon as you admit that you full time in a trailer, you void many guarantees.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As soon as you admit that you full time in a trailer, you void many guarantees.
Where is that stated anywhere ?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post

I've attached pages from our owner's manual.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3467.jpg   IMG_3468.jpg   IMG_3469.jpg  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #159

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I also recall my wife finding a statement to that effect on some replacement RV mattresses when we were looking to upgrade the mattress in our EggCamper. They simply weren't built well enough to hold up to everyday use.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #160

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
RVLock plastic sheeting over numbers cracking

The plastic sheeting over the numbers on the outside of our RVLock has cracked. I contacted RV lock and they sent us a new sheet. We have had the lock less than a year, but use the number pad all the time because we don't like to carry the remote.

Have others had cracks in their plastic sheeting? Is there something anyone does to prevent cracking, other than only using the remote?