RVLOCK installed on 2017 21' Escape - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape 1721
RVLock responded and they have recently implemented functionality to turn off the sound. If you hold down "1" a few seconds a beep will occur. This turns the sound off (not sure if this eliminates the low battery beep). Hold it down again and the tones return. The customer service rep wasn't aware of when the change was implemented, but ours had a 8/28 manufacture date.

I wasn't able to find instructions about this feature on the papers received, so it looks like they haven't updated their manuals yet. Hope this helps others.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #82

Trailer: 21 Escape - Sept 2017
I installed my new lock yesterday and was wondering what to do about the rather loud lock/unlock beep confirmation. I was almost ready to snip out the speaker when I saw the suggestion to press "1" to disable. Just did it and it works!!! Thank you so much!!!
lchris292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
To those of you who have installed the rvlock did you use the plastic insert with the new lock. It seems to make it hard for the lock to fit flush on the outside on the keypad end. Am I the only one who had this issue. Am thinking of installing lock without that plastic piece. Not sure if it would negatively effect the install. Welcome all opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
To those of you who have installed the rvlock did you use the plastic insert with the new lock.
I was able to install the lock with the plastic insert. My only challenges were making the turn into the space. I had to drill out a small notches (see Red Dog's images on page 1) for it to fit.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Am thinking of installing lock without that plastic piece. Not sure if it would negatively effect the install. Welcome all opinions.
I just installed RVLock 4.0 without the plastic piece from the original lock. It made it hard to fit. I did not cut additional holes/notches.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I just installed RVLock 4.0 without the plastic piece from the original lock. It made it hard to fit. I did not cut additional holes/notches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I was able to install the lock with the plastic insert. My only challenges were making the turn into the space. I had to drill out a small notches (see Red Dog's images on page 1) for it to fit.
Thanks guys, I was finally able to install with the plastic insert, did not have to do any notches a la Red Dog. Donna will be a very happy camper and I am sure the keyfob will get a lot of use.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #87

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Thanks guys, I was finally able to install with the plastic insert, did not have to do any notches ....
So Mike, what was your technique for installing the RVLock 4.0 WITH the insert but WITHOUT having to notch the door? Inquiring minds want to know....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
So Mike, what was your technique for installing the RVLock 4.0 WITH the insert but WITHOUT having to notch the door? Inquiring minds want to know....
No special technique. After I reinstalled the plastic insert flush with the inside edge of the door the lock slipped into place with no issues. I think I may have reinstalled it a little closer to the door edge then it was originally. I say this because of the notches in the foam insulation of the door would not quite let you place the insert all the way against the edge but I forced it all the way. I did not pay much attention when I first took the insert out so I can't say for sure exactly what its positioning was. Hope this makes sense. Anyway it's working fine with no issues.

The only think I might do differently is get the compact edition of the 4.0 lock as it also has the attached keypad.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #89

FYI, I just installed our RVLock V4.0. Two minor problems:
1) Threads for the 4 long screws were REALLY snug. Hard to hold everything in place and still get the screws started. I finally took everything back out of the door and ran all four screws down into their holes with a hand drill to pre-ream the threads. All was easy after that.
2) The instructions say to screw the striker plate in place first, but the foam seal wouldn't compress enough to line up the threads in the holes to start the screws. I finally mounted both sides and tightened the four long screws slightly to partially compress the foam seal, then nudged the lock to where the holes lined up, then screwed on the striker plate.
With those two changes, the new RVLock V4.0 is installed and working great.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought my RVLock during the American Thanksgiving sale and never got around to installing, but took it with me on our last trip. At the Quartzsite rally we were set up a bit away from the center of activities, and one time down by where they were playing music, Lisa sent me to the trailer for something. I got there and found it was locked, and I never had my keys. I had to run back down to get her keys and back up to the trailer again.

Needless to say, I installed it the next day. It took about 7-8 minutes to remove the old and install the new. I found the installation to be super easy, with no problems at all. The programming took about the same time, but that was because my brain skipped past one step, otherwise it would be only a couple minutes.

I had no plastic inserts, foam or any other things that were a problem, the new one popped in with little effort.

I was a bit skeptical at first and thought it a bit gimmicky, but man, I now have to say I just love the thing. It is so easy to use, no worries about keys, locking is the press of a button. Lights up great in the dark too. Programming it to remove the awful beeping when it locks for me was a must, and now it works silently doing its job.

I programmed the remotes, but to be honest, you really don't need them. I don't even carry one.

Wish I had of installed it sooner.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #91

My only regret is that I wish I had noticed that they had come out with a compact V4.0 before I purchased (on sale!) our full sized model. The compact has the same features of the full size in a smaller footprint and more traditional outline.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #92

Quote:
My only regret is that I wish I had noticed that they had come out with a compact V4.0 before I purchased (on sale!) our full sized model. The compact has the same features of the full size in a smaller footprint and more traditional outline.
I wondered about that too. I do not mind the look outside at all. My only wish would be that it was not so wide inside, which is required to house the batteries.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #93

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We love our RVLock too. Installation was quick and easy taking only a few minutes, and no mods required on the door. Does anyone know if you silent the beeps will the low battery beep work when the batteries get low? I plan to replace them routinely to avoid any issue but it would be nice to know the low battery warning would sound “just in case…”
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
Does anyone know if you silent the beeps will the low battery beep work when the batteries get low?
I had the same thought, but I would bet not. I did not mind the quieter beep of the key pad, but the loud one to say the door locked was just rude.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #95

Quote:
... Does anyone know if you silent the beeps will the low battery beep work when the batteries get low? ...
Should be easy enough to check. Just put some near dead batteries in the battery box and see what happens. I recently dropped some off for recycling, or I'd check it out that way myself.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #96

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Does anyone know if you silent the beeps will the low battery beep work when the batteries get low? I plan to replace them routinely to avoid any issue but it would be nice to know the low battery warning would sound “just in case…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had the same thought, but I would bet not.
RVLock just got back to me. With the sound disabled it is 100% silent, so you will not get the low battery notification. Even more important to hide a key somewhere on the trailer or in tow vehicle.

I cannot install this lock on the classic door, but I have been eyeing up their mechanical lock as a replacement. They got back to me quickly which speaks to their customer service.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
RVLock just got back to me. With the sound disabled it is 100% silent, so you will not get the low battery notification. ...
Thanks for sharing that. Now we know.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #98

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
RV lock v2 compact

Quote:
I am considering the compact 4, it is 199$ a bit cheaper. If you buy off sale you can get 15% cheaper if you order over the phone. July 23, 2017
Nancy
Has anyone installed the compact version? Is it any easier to install
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I am considering the compact 4, it is 199$ a bit cheaper. If you buy off sale you can get 15% cheaper if you order over the phone. July 23, 2017
Nancy
Has anyone installed the compact version? Is it any easier to install
It can't be easier to install. The other version took less than 10 minutes.

At first I kinda turn my nose up at the idea of putting one of these locks on as it just did not seem very necessary and appeared to be bit gimmicky. Now that I have it installed, it is one of the best modifications I have done to the trailer. It is and extremely handy upgrade.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #100

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
How many digits can one choose for your key code? Just four, or more?