San Antonio to Canada - Part Deaux - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 PM   #81

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Our two friends are back again this evening. They walk around our camp morning and evening. We met them on the trail also. Not skiddish at all. Must be used to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're often around us when we're there also. It's a comfortable environment for deer - especially in the Fall!
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Said goodbye to beautiful McCall Idaho and headed south this morning. Spending the night at Golden Spike RV in Brigham City UT. Nice park, very nice folks.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Said goodbye to beautiful McCall Idaho and headed south this morning. Spending the night at Golden Spike RV in Brigham City UT. Nice park, very nice folks.

Any insight on McCall? We will be heading there at the end of June and staying for 10 days.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #84

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Any insight on McCall? We will be heading there at the end of June and staying for 10 days.
Quote:

Happy trails Robert - glad you enjoyed! FOR Daubsy: I live there (actually nearby), so I can probably help you. But I'll start with a negative - if you don't yet have RV reservations, space will be challenging during your timeframe. Ponderosa State Park is pretty much booked through that period, though there might be random open sites. McCall RV Park along the Payette River is nice, and might have some availability. And there are USFS sites around, with mixed availability. PM me if you want more "insight"…Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #85
Site Team

Staying at La Mesa RV Park in Cortez CO tonight. On to Durango, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, etc tomorrow.

I have one small observation about driving habits in certain states. All the way to Osoyoos, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington, we found driving to be quite pleasant, and the vast majority of drivers were courteous and drove normally.

On the way back, we are taking a shorter route to Texas, so we went through Utah today. I was born there, but left when I was 18 and joining the military. I've only passed through or visited a half dozen or so times since.

What's my observation? Simple. Utah highways are filled with some of the biggest as$#*€les I have ever seen - far worse than any other state we've been in on this trip. 85 mph down I-15 in rush hour traffic? Careening around us on the left and the right like stark raving maniacs. Not a cop or a State Trooper was seen except at 33rd south in SLC. That was the scene of an 8 car pile up, caused by maniacs going 85 and 90 during rush hour.

If I never have to drive I-15 in northern Utah again, I'll die a happy man.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It was explained to me by a desk clerk in Jordan when deciding to go through city streets vs. the circuitous route to Alta Ski thus avoidIng stoplights: "go long way because they run red lights...they just don't care".

I remember reading some getting the rear camera option to deal with SLC traffic.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #87

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Staying at La Mesa RV Park in Cortez CO tonight. On to Durango, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, etc tomorrow.

I have one small observation about driving habits in certain states. All the way to Osoyoos, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington, we found driving to be quite pleasant, and the vast majority of drivers were courteous and drove normally.

On the way back, we are taking a shorter route to Texas, so we went through Utah today. I was born there, but left when I was 18 and joining the military. I've only passed through or visited a half dozen or so times since.

What's my observation? Simple. Utah highways are filled with some of the biggest as$#*€les I have ever seen - far worse than any other state we've been in on this trip. 85 mph down I-15 in rush hour traffic? Careening around us on the left and the right like stark raving maniacs. Not a cop or a State Trooper was seen except at 33rd south in SLC. That was the scene of an 8 car pile up, caused by maniacs going 85 and 90 during rush hour.

If I never have to drive I-15 in northern Utah again, I'll die a happy man.

Ditto, we went through there last September on our way to Moab. We decided to do it on a Sunday morning thinking they would all be in church, my observation was that they were all late for church! The worst thing is that all the semi's are doing the 85 MPH as well, scary stuff. Needless to say we didn't drive through SLC on the way home.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #88

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
My husband says that that doesn't sound like Mormons.

Must be people on their way up to see the new Escape models.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #89
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
My husband says that that doesn't sound like Mormons.

Must be people on their way up to see the new Escape models.

Thanks Cathy. Good to start the day with a chuckle.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #90

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Ditto, we went through there last September on our way to Moab. We decided to do it on a Sunday morning thinking they would all be in church, my observation was that they were all late for church! The worst thing is that all the semi's are doing the 85 MPH as well, scary stuff. Needless to say we didn't drive through SLC on the way home.

Barry
I am shocked at your experience, Robert's too.
In the early 80's I spent a lot of time in SLC on business and never experienced this.

My only explanation is that like here in Southern California, the other cultures, increasingly in numbers, have changed many aspects of what we once knew. I can tell you that the Los Angeles area is not what it was decades ago.

I grew up in north side of Chicago and it was fantastic. A recent visit was painful and sad. The neighborhood that once molded me growing up would reject me today.

Unless today's Mormons have changed, I doubt they are the cause. I know them to be good people with values.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #91

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I think this thread has been hijacked from a discussion of our love of Escapes and camping adventures to negative comments about other cultures and groups. Moderators please?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #92

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
I think this thread has been hijacked from a discussion of our love of Escapes and camping adventures to negative comments about other cultures and groups. Moderators please?
Ditto. Headed nowhere good.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #93

Quote:
My point was that I knew it was a very religious community and therefore assumed that the roads would be quiet on a Sunday morning, they weren't. I don't think there was any negative comment about a certain group or culture but a fair assessment of what is out there.

If one "loves" their Escape and doesn't want a "camping adventure" of the worst kind then the info presented is fair warning to anyone who want to travel the I-15 through SLC.

To get to the States I almost always have to drive through Seattle and , due to Seattle's traffic problems, their have been many questions asked over the years on the forum as to the best time to drive through there. Let me tell you that Seattle is a walk in the park compared to SLC.

Barry

Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #94

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Barry it wasn't your post or the light hearted comments about the largest religious group in Utah that I was referring to at all. I should have included a quote in my reply!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #95

Quote:
Barry it wasn't your post or the light hearted comments about the largest religious group in Utah that I was referring to at all. I should have included a quote in my reply!
Okay, thanks!

Barry

Old 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #96

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
My point was that I knew it was a very religious community and therefore assumed that the roads would be quiet on a Sunday morning, they weren't. I don't think there was any negative comment about a certain group or culture but a fair assessment of what is out there.

If one "loves" their Escape and doesn't want a "camping adventure" of the worst kind then the info presented is fair warning to anyone who want to travel the I-15 through SLC.

To get to the States I almost always have to drive through Seattle and , due to Seattle's traffic problems, their have been many questions asked over the years on the forum as to the best time to drive through there. Let me tell you that Seattle is a walk in the park compared to SLC.

Barry
Can someone please explain what SLC stands for ? I am lost . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #97

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
SLC is the airport code for Salt Lake City.

And BTW (by the way), I agree with the opinions about traffic. I drove through there two years ago on I15 and thought why are these idiot drivers going so fast at 80+ mph in heavy traffic? It was intimidating and I wasn't even towing.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #98

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
It took me a minute to figure out too. If the discussion with it was not centred around Utah, I would never have got it. There seems to be a move to acronyms for lots of things on here, though my vocabulary is getting better at it.

Jim in YYC
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #99

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Barry has a point. For whatever reason an area offers more drama than one wishes for, it's good to be warned. We are all adults here.

I certainly agree that driving through the Seattle area is a nightmare at certain times of the day. That too is good travel information. I can tell you that when departing on a trip, Kim and I have to leave home after 9pm if we don't want to spend hours just getting to the county line. This is Southern California.

Regarding Salt Lake City (SLC), I am sorry to hear these reports and am grateful I have been warned. We do plan on visiting SLC as I have in the past and use it as a gateway to the areas beyond. Will plan on late evening drives through that area. By the way, we like Mormons.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #100

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
SLC is the airport code for Salt Lake City.

And BTW (by the way), I agree with the opinions about traffic. I drove through there two years ago on I15 and thought why are these idiots going so fast at 80+ mph in heavy traffic? It was intimidating and I wasn't even towing.
Thanks .Makes sence now .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote