San Antonio to Canada - Part Deaux - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
soultrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Our two friends are back again this evening. They walk around our camp morning and evening. We met them on the trail also. Not skiddish at all. Must be used to people.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're often around us when we're there also. It's a comfortable environment for deer - especially in the Fall!
__________________

soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #82
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Said goodbye to beautiful McCall Idaho and headed south this morning. Spending the night at Golden Spike RV in Brigham City UT. Nice park, very nice folks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Said goodbye to beautiful McCall Idaho and headed south this morning. Spending the night at Golden Spike RV in Brigham City UT. Nice park, very nice folks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Any insight on McCall? We will be heading there at the end of June and staying for 10 days.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
soultrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Any insight on McCall? We will be heading there at the end of June and staying for 10 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Said goodbye to beautiful McCall Idaho and headed south this morning. Spending the night at Golden Spike RV in Brigham City UT. Nice park, very nice folks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy trails Robert - glad you enjoyed! FOR Daubsy: I live there (actually nearby), so I can probably help you. But I'll start with a negative - if you don't yet have RV reservations, space will be challenging during your timeframe. Ponderosa State Park is pretty much booked through that period, though there might be random open sites. McCall RV Park along the Payette River is nice, and might have some availability. And there are USFS sites around, with mixed availability. PM me if you want more "insight"…Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #85
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Staying at La Mesa RV Park in Cortez CO tonight. On to Durango, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, etc tomorrow.

I have one small observation about driving habits in certain states. All the way to Osoyoos, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington, we found driving to be quite pleasant, and the vast majority of drivers were courteous and drove normally.

On the way back, we are taking a shorter route to Texas, so we went through Utah today. I was born there, but left when I was 18 and joining the military. I've only passed through or visited a half dozen or so times since.

What's my observation? Simple. Utah highways are filled with some of the biggest as$#*€les I have ever seen - far worse than any other state we've been in on this trip. 85 mph down I-15 in rush hour traffic? Careening around us on the left and the right like stark raving maniacs. Not a cop or a State Trooper was seen except at 33rd south in SLC. That was the scene of an 8 car pile up, caused by maniacs going 85 and 90 during rush hour.

If I never have to drive I-15 in northern Utah again, I'll die a happy man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,913
It was explained to me by a desk clerk in Jordan when deciding to go through city streets vs. the circuitous route to Alta Ski thus avoidIng stoplights: "go long way because they run red lights...they just don't care".

I remember reading some getting the rear camera option to deal with SLC traffic.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Staying at La Mesa RV Park in Cortez CO tonight. On to Durango, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, etc tomorrow.

I have one small observation about driving habits in certain states. All the way to Osoyoos, through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington, we found driving to be quite pleasant, and the vast majority of drivers were courteous and drove normally.

On the way back, we are taking a shorter route to Texas, so we went through Utah today. I was born there, but left when I was 18 and joining the military. I've only passed through or visited a half dozen or so times since.

What's my observation? Simple. Utah highways are filled with some of the biggest as$#*€les I have ever seen - far worse than any other state we've been in on this trip. 85 mph down I-15 in rush hour traffic? Careening around us on the left and the right like stark raving maniacs. Not a cop or a State Trooper was seen except at 33rd south in SLC. That was the scene of an 8 car pile up, caused by maniacs going 85 and 90 during rush hour.

If I never have to drive I-15 in northern Utah again, I'll die a happy man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto, we went through there last September on our way to Moab. We decided to do it on a Sunday morning thinking they would all be in church, my observation was that they were all late for church! The worst thing is that all the semi's are doing the 85 MPH as well, scary stuff. Needless to say we didn't drive through SLC on the way home.

Barry
__________________
Photography website: https://bjustice.zenfolio.com

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,136
My husband says that that doesn't sound like Mormons.

Must be people on their way up to see the new Escape models.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #89
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
My husband says that that doesn't sound like Mormons.



Must be people on their way up to see the new Escape models.

Thanks Cathy. Good to start the day with a chuckle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #90
Senior Member
 
Santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Anaheim CA, California
Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Ditto, we went through there last September on our way to Moab. We decided to do it on a Sunday morning thinking they would all be in church, my observation was that they were all late for church! The worst thing is that all the semi's are doing the 85 MPH as well, scary stuff. Needless to say we didn't drive through SLC on the way home.

Barry
I am shocked at your experience, Robert's too.
In the early 80's I spent a lot of time in SLC on business and never experienced this.

My only explanation is that like here in Southern California, the other cultures, increasingly in numbers, have changed many aspects of what we once knew. I can tell you that the Los Angeles area is not what it was decades ago.

I grew up in north side of Chicago and it was fantastic. A recent visit was painful and sad. The neighborhood that once molded me growing up would reject me today.

Unless today's Mormons have changed, I doubt they are the cause. I know them to be good people with values.
__________________
Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Olympia, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 460
I think this thread has been hijacked from a discussion of our love of Escapes and camping adventures to negative comments about other cultures and groups. Moderators please?
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
I think this thread has been hijacked from a discussion of our love of Escapes and camping adventures to negative comments about other cultures and groups. Moderators please?
Ditto. Headed nowhere good.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
I think this thread has been hijacked from a discussion of our love of Escapes and camping adventures to negative comments about other cultures and groups. Moderators please?
My point was that I knew it was a very religious community and therefore assumed that the roads would be quiet on a Sunday morning, they weren't. I don't think there was any negative comment about a certain group or culture but a fair assessment of what is out there.

If one "loves" their Escape and doesn't want a "camping adventure" of the worst kind then the info presented is fair warning to anyone who want to travel the I-15 through SLC.

To get to the States I almost always have to drive through Seattle and , due to Seattle's traffic problems, their have been many questions asked over the years on the forum as to the best time to drive through there. Let me tell you that Seattle is a walk in the park compared to SLC.

Barry
__________________
Photography website: https://bjustice.zenfolio.com

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Olympia, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 460
Barry it wasn't your post or the light hearted comments about the largest religious group in Utah that I was referring to at all. I should have included a quote in my reply!
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Barry it wasn't your post or the light hearted comments about the largest religious group in Utah that I was referring to at all. I should have included a quote in my reply!
Okay, thanks!

Barry
__________________
Photography website: https://bjustice.zenfolio.com

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
My point was that I knew it was a very religious community and therefore assumed that the roads would be quiet on a Sunday morning, they weren't. I don't think there was any negative comment about a certain group or culture but a fair assessment of what is out there.

If one "loves" their Escape and doesn't want a "camping adventure" of the worst kind then the info presented is fair warning to anyone who want to travel the I-15 through SLC.

To get to the States I almost always have to drive through Seattle and , due to Seattle's traffic problems, their have been many questions asked over the years on the forum as to the best time to drive through there. Let me tell you that Seattle is a walk in the park compared to SLC.

Barry
Can someone please explain what SLC stands for ? I am lost . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 2,032
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Can someone please explain what SLC stands for ? I am lost . Pat
SLC is the airport code for Salt Lake City.

And BTW (by the way), I agree with the opinions about traffic. I drove through there two years ago on I15 and thought why are these idiot drivers going so fast at 80+ mph in heavy traffic? It was intimidating and I wasn't even towing.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Can someone please explain what SLC stands for ? I am lost . Pat
It took me a minute to figure out too. If the discussion with it was not centred around Utah, I would never have got it. There seems to be a move to acronyms for lots of things on here, though my vocabulary is getting better at it.

Jim in YYC
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Anaheim CA, California
Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Posts: 516
Barry has a point. For whatever reason an area offers more drama than one wishes for, it's good to be warned. We are all adults here.

I certainly agree that driving through the Seattle area is a nightmare at certain times of the day. That too is good travel information. I can tell you that when departing on a trip, Kim and I have to leave home after 9pm if we don't want to spend hours just getting to the county line. This is Southern California.

Regarding Salt Lake City (SLC), I am sorry to hear these reports and am grateful I have been warned. We do plan on visiting SLC as I have in the past and use it as a gateway to the areas beyond. Will plan on late evening drives through that area. By the way, we like Mormons.
__________________
Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
SLC is the airport code for Salt Lake City.

And BTW (by the way), I agree with the opinions about traffic. I drove through there two years ago on I15 and thought why are these idiots going so fast at 80+ mph in heavy traffic? It was intimidating and I wasn't even towing.
Thanks .Makes sence now .Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×