Scaled-down and light items - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Scaled-down and light items

Hi folks!
Just wondering what kind of smaller items you purchased to make your Escape trailer your “home away from home”.

To start with, I’m looking for kitchen items. Keeping small size and light weight in mind, what small appliances, (nesting) cooking items and utensils did you purchase and from what source? Any “gems“ you’d like to share?

What about for the rest of the trailer? If there is already such a thread, I apologize. If there is, could you post the name or link?
Thank you!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I have a 3 qt instant pot, smaller than the normal home version. Although, since it is just the 2 of us this is the size I'd use at home. We use a dirt devil plug in vacuum cleaner, sweeping works but once a week the cushions and everything needs vacuuming.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
I have a 3 qt instant pot, smaller than the normal home version. Although, since it is just the 2 of us this is the size I'd use at home. We use a dirt devil plug in vacuum cleaner, sweeping works but once a week the cushions and everything needs vacuuming.
Great idea about the Dirt Devil. I’m starting a list, so I appreciate your input. Thank you!
But I’m not sure what you mean about a 3 quart instant pot. Are you referring to coffee?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

Thumbs up Joseph Joseph kitchen items

For someone who may be looking for a cutlery organizer, there’s one on sale at Macy’s right now. The brand is Joseph Joseph, and a few other same-brand kitchen items are on sale as well.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/j...-xx.mylist_pdp

Small-scale stuff like this is probably helpful.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: ?
Smile

Two of us. Very seldom with electrical hookups. Like to keep the trailer weight as low as I can. With that said.

With the exception of the Escape built-in microwave, we carry no kitchen appliances that require electricity. A coffee percolator, a manual can opener, a hand held whisk, etc.

We have the propane oven and use it a lot.
I built a two tier rack that fits in the oven and rests on top of the pizza stone for the times when one small cookie sheet isn't enough.

A few 8" disposable aluminum pans for when the brownie urge overtakes us.

Kitchen utensils are the Dollar Store quality. Light weight and easily replaced when broken.
A plastic collapsible strainer.

Nothing made out of glass. Even my very old favorite coffee cup has been replaced by one of those expensive insulated metal types.A gift from the kids.

Dust pan and broom for the floor. The non-electric type, of course.

We pack for ten days. Food, cloths, etc.
Linens? Just what's on the bed + one bottom sheet just in case. Come laundry day, everything gets stripped, washed and returned to the bed. Three bath towels (lots of those wet wipes for boondocking. ) If everyone smells funky no one notices, now do they?

We do carry a small electric heater for those times when its cold and we do have power.

Planning is always a part of the trip we enjoy.

Have fun:
Ed & Carol
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
For someone who may be looking for a cutlery organizer, there’s one on sale at Macy’s right now. The brand is Joseph Joseph, and a few other same-brand kitchen items are on sale as well.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/j...-xx.mylist_pdp

Small-scale stuff like this is probably helpful.

We bought assorted items before we actually had the trailer to measure. Some fit. Some didn't.
You might think about not buying some types of things until you have used a tape measure to see if they will fit when you want them to fit. Or not and just go for the gold.

Enjoy
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've not scaled anything down. I've chosen to buy another of whatever kitchen tool gives me satisfaction at home. I have three CDN kitchen timers at home and two in the trailer. I have Thermopen probe thermometers at home and in the trailer. Same quality knives at home and in the trailer.
This keeps me from being frustrated when camping and reduces "shopping in the trailer", which is a pastime of my wife.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We like the Magma nesting cookware. Good weight and space savings, and well made.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	42306

Magma Products, A10-363-2-IND, Gourmet Nesting 7-Piece Stainless Steel Induction Cookware Set with Ceramica Non-Stick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CN7JIPK..._qSwKDb460XQJ0

Another item we use that’s trailer/camping specific are quick drying, thin, synthetic towels, eg those to be found at REI for backpackers. They pack much smaller than regular towels, and dry way faster, and you can get the x-large ones that don’t feel like you’re trying to dry off with a washcloth.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've not scaled anything down. I've chosen to buy another of whatever kitchen tool gives me satisfaction at home.
I agree. Why use crappy flimsy cheap utensils etc. Just because I'm in my trailer doesn't mean I have to camping grade gear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Items for trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We like the Magma nesting cookware. Good weight and space savings, and well made.
Attachment 42306

Magma Products, A10-363-2-IND, Gourmet Nesting 7-Piece Stainless Steel Induction Cookware Set with Ceramica Non-Stick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CN7JIPK..._qSwKDb460XQJ0

Another item we use that’s trailer/camping specific are quick drying, thin, synthetic towels, eg those to be found at REI for backpackers. They pack much smaller than regular towels, and dry way faster, and you can get the x-large ones that don’t feel like you’re trying to dry off with a washcloth.
We have all of the above also. The toweIs are great because if it is not sunny out they will dry where as regular ones can get smelly if the take to long to dry. I also have a self straining pasta pot, collapsible salad spinner that is also the bowl with lid. The one item I could not live without is a good set of knives.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We have a set of nesting pots - not the popular Magma set (which look like they are good), but a T-Fal Ingenio set (the "10-piece" set of three pots with cooking and storage lids plus one handle). They are no lighter than any good multi-ply induction-compatible stainless steel product for home use, but (like the Magma sets) the removable handle and stackable sizing saves space.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have the 10 piece Magma nesting set, my wife finds it too heavy to get out from the cabinet it's in so it rarely gets used. We do take a few old separate pans that get used all the time.

Maybe I'll turn my 10 piece into a 7 piece and see if that helps.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I bought another brand of nesting pots that I'm very happy with but most of the pots we never use so they are stored and two of them are in the trailer with the shared lid and handle.
Think about how you camp and cook while camping, is it different them home? If so you might need some different stuff.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The newer stove Escape is installing has some size limitations so I would suggest you wait until possession or take some light weight camping cookware which are normally smaller.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife will not use thin bottomed pots, and I don't blame here, as they much more evenly transfer heat. I did put my foot down on cast iron skillets, which do work great, but.....

The best thing to do is to eliminate much of what you really don't need if weight is an issue. We had to do some of that. While nice to have 8 different methods of cooking, it really is not needed. We only use the range inside, and the stove and BBQ outside.

Going through our gear we have accumulated in the trailer as we do every year or two, we always fine stuff we thought would be nice to have, but in reality we rarely used and could do without.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #16

Thumbs up

There’s a host of varying opinions here, and all are extremely wise and helpful. Having had the 19‘, I do recall the size restrictions in certain drawers and cabinets.

So I’ll probably purchase certain items, and others I’ll wait until we take possession.
The Instapot sounds like a all-around helpful cooking item...thanks G&C!

Thank you to all who posted their lists and brand names to kitchen items. I’m adding these to our list of possibilities and to check into.
If anybody else has found a particularly useful or creative item that has double duty, collapses, etc.,please share!

Have a great day y’all!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I like the collapsible kitchen implements like collapsible bowls (with lids), measuring cups, measuring spoons and colander. Some of these things can take up a lot of space, but not when they're flat!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They also make collapsible pots and pans https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
we purchased 2 different sizes
Attached Thumbnails
71vBj6KAv5L._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'd like to find a large collapsible bowl that is pretty sturdy when uncollapsed. Any suggestions?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'd like to find a large collapsible bowl that is pretty sturdy when uncollapsed. Any suggestions?
Target has a 5 quart with a pouring spout: https://www.target.com/p/squish-5-qu...l/-/A-13994776
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote