Scamp Owner Interested in Escape 17' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Scamp Owner Interested in Escape 17'

Hi,

We own a 16' side dinette Scamp and I am unsatisfied with what I consider to be several design flaws in it. I have seen Escapes on the road but have never had a chance to see inside one. I am hoping that some of you can tell me if the Escape is an improvement in these areas. 1) There is far too much weight on the curb side of this Scamp model. The fresh water tank, refrigerator, water heater, optional microwave, kitchen sink and hanging clothes closet are all on that side. 2) The floor/bottom is make of fiberglas resin coated OSB board. I have real concerns about the life span of that material. 3) The wheels/tires are only 13" and are very close if not over their weigh rating. 4) The fresh water tank sits on the same OSB floor under the bed/rear table. Often the tank sweats and water collects under and around it.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Re: Scamp Owner Interested in Escape 17'

Hi Eric,

The Escape is a true molded fiberglass trailer, where also the floor is encased with fiberglass. You still have a particle wood sorts of floor, but only on the inside! Also, fridge and closed are on the opposite site of the kitchen range and bathroom (for floor plan 17'B, as I assume you are looking into the bathroom version). Also the optional microwave goes opposite of the kitchen range, above the fridge. The bathroom is really in the spot where the Scamp has the side dinette. You have the second dinette in the front. The standard wheels are 14", and you can opt for 15" wheels.

I don't know of exact weight distribution yet, as I haven't gotten my Escape trailer yet. Still waiting :

Gerda
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: thoer... Even tho we have a 5.0 5th. wh. it is based on the 17B trailer. The major diff. in construction is everywhere. The axle is located further aft than the Scamp. No pop rivets holding thru the shell. Drain pontoons along each side/bottom to eliminate rogue water should it be nec. The flooring is completely enclosed in the interior of the trailer. All cabinet doors are oak. Fresh water tank behind the axle waste tanks in front. 6gal. water heater in dinette beside sink. 15" tires on a 3500 lb. rated axle.If you send me a personal message with your email add I will be glad to send more pic.s. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
downunder.jpg   view from here.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Again... Here's a couple more views. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
phpg5IehLPM.jpg   tip o\' the Bruce.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Alf - thank you very much! From my email conversations with Tammy it seems like the Escape has corrected most if not all of the annoying problems that Scamp seems unwilling to remedy. I am hoping to hear more from 17' B owners if anyone has time. I wish there was a 17' B in our vicinity (West Central Wisconsin) that we could go look at.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #6

Escapers,

We are moving toward a decision (I have listed our Scamp as we would need to sell it before we could buy an Escape). The 17'B seems like the best layout for us, as we would probably leave the bed down most all the time and use the front dinette area for eating, etc.

I would like advice from owners about options. We are looking now at: A/C, extra insulation, dual propane, extra window, stove cover, bike rack ready and exterior 120 outlet. I think give the fact that we love to camp in early spring and late fall that the extra insulation and thermal windows would be good for us along with the dual propane so we have plenty for heat. A/C so we can have more summer options should we do more then and it is so difficult to put in later.

What is TV ready? We have a TV antenna on the Scamp and have never used it. Anyone have the dual 6 volt battery option? Recommended? Anything I am missing?

Does the Escape have any means of monitoring the battery charge - like a voltmeter or a 12v outlet to plug a charge monitor into? Also, what about fresh and grey water tank levels? (That was one thing I really liked about our Rialta - gauges for those levels)

You are a very friendly group here and all of you seem to really love your Escapes. I have already told Tammy that she is a refreshing change from my Scamp contacts. The management at Scamp seems to have taken the motto of - we can sell every Scamp we can make in the factory, so why bother to improve it or listen to our customers suggestions.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We bought a used unit so had to basically take what we got (a couple extras added) But I wish we had the 6 volt option as we do boondock most of the time her in BC...

LOVE the extra window over the sink and the three burner stove and cover...

There are monitors for the levels of the tanks as well as the battery.. (Sometimes I look at it too frequently!!!)
We do have a 12v outlet and I think that is a good thing (maybe a couple?)

We got shelves in the wardrobe and find it very handy for storage as I never take "hang up" clothes.

Also had a cargo door put in the passenger side at the rear because we always leave the table down as a bed... Very easy to access all the "outdoor" setting up stuff etc..

Very well made and planned out units--tons of storage and very comfy..
You won't regret..
Now to get the other one sold!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

Congratulations on your decision to get an Escape! And welcome to the club!

I definitely think getting the extra insulation and double-pane windows is a good idea. I got that as well. The dual 6V batteries supposedly release their charge slower compared to one 12V battery, meaning you can boondock for a longer time. I opted for that. Following additional options I put on: Lifted axle, 15' wheels, dual propane, exterior 110V, exterior shower, bike rack ready, custom fit cover, equalizer hitch, propane quick connect, front rock guards, hitch wheel, maxx fan, screen room, stove cover, 12V outlet, starter kit.

I decided against stereo and any TV equipment, as I already barely watch TV at home...

Another thing I did is ask Tammy to install shelving in my closet since I never have hang-up clothes. Also I am getting a stainless steel sink. Furthermore, I picked my own fabric and sent it off to Tammy. Cushions will be made starting next week, wahoooo! I desired a little more color.

I think I have mentioned all here. Just have to wait now until April/May 2010 to pick it up from the delivery destination. Things start to wrap up here, as I got yesterday a class III hitch receiver with 7pin wiring, brake controller and transmission cooler installed. My 4Runner is waiting as well, all good to go!

Even though I don't have my Escape yet, I know you (and I) won't regret the decision! Once again, congratulations! Now off to sell your Scamp!

BTW, I know what you mean about the Scamp folks... I contacted them also, while shopping for a trailer, and the way how they interact with you is just sooooo different from how Tammy is...! Car dealership mentality coming through...

Gerda
Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #9

Forgot one extra thing :: I asked Tammy to install is LED lighting throughout.

Gerda
Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

Thanks Anna- Marie and Gerda,

Now I have even more to consider!! Are the 15" wheels and raised axle to provide more carrying capacity or for more road clearance - or both? Where do you find all these options - many that you list are not on the website.

Eric

Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #11

Hi Eric,

some are not listed in the option table, but I knew they were available from this forum. And also, you can get custom items. Such as all LED, shelving and different fabric. When something would come a little expensive, Tammy would let you know and ask you whether it is worth it for you!

The lifted axle gives me some more ground clearance. Then I don't need to worry as much about scraping something. I guess this has pros and cons. For cons I could see higher wind resistance.

You are in for a lot of fun, configuring your 17'!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #12

Thanks Gerda,

It may all be moot if we cannot sell our Scamp for a decent price. The trouble is that it is so nearly new, in perfect condition with only about 8000 miles on it. We paid about $18,500 for it and new one optioned like it are $19,600, but people are wanting to buy it for $12,000. So unless we can get more than that, the Escape dream may be only a dream for us.

Eric

Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. So far the only thing that I did not think of that I wished I did, is a drawer under the top of the wardrobe. I have put one of those plastic thingies with three drawers on the top shelf of the wardrobe. Check out the "Show your Escape" section of the forum and see the "Suite Escape" and the others for some ideas that you may like.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

Thank you Sandra,

I have been exchanging emails with Tammy. Her commitment to customer satisfaction is so refreshing to me!! It is also great to hear how much you all seem to love your Escapes. I looked into those pictures - I wish that there were more of interior views of 17B's. Being unable so far to see one I am trying to get as clear a picture in my mind as possible of the layout and arrangements. If you have more I would love to see them.

Eric the Escape Wannabe

Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #15

Hi Eric,

There are some photos hidden in the 2-page forum "Show your Escape" in the thread "New Escapes". It is on the second page of the forum. Some nice interior pics there.

Gerda
Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

You are more than welcome. See also Jeff's and Glenn's videos. http://zimodecast.com/?p=91; http://zimodecast.com/?p=88
Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #17

Those are VERY helpful videos! Thank you again.

Eric

Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #18

RE I wish that there were more of interior views of 17B's. Being unable so far to see one I am trying to get as clear a picture in my mind as possible of the layout and arrangements. If you have more I would love to see them.

Eric the Escape Wannabe

Hi Eric go to you tube,,,search "Escape rv for sale" for a video tour of a 17 B very well done,

good luck Moeniac
Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #19

I am confused - isn't this Escape for sale video on Youtube the same Escape as shown up above by zimodecast as their new trailer??

Eric the confused...

Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #20

Very well could be,,,I had only seen the you tube tour,,
Moeniac